Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraying Dicophar on lawn

Options
  • 07-05-2020 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I sprayed my lawn with Dicophar 5 days ago and apart from dandelions and daisy's starting to collapse it seems like the lawn is now infested with weeds. I read this herbicide takes 2 to 4 weeks to work fully. But is it normal for the weeds to grow quickly and show up in new places after treatment? Im hoping it is driving the weeds up and out of the soil?! Or else is it just a coincidence considering we have had lots of rain the past few days. I don't think it is my imagination anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s not the best time to be spraying as most rely on active growth in plants to work well, drought at the moment is reducing growth significantly.

Having said that some herbicides work by interfering with the growth of the plant and essentially bursting the plant cells with excessive growth, that may be what you are seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Only obvious answer is what Brian says. OP the weeds you are seeing were always there but the Dicophar is a mix of growth hormone herbicides that makes the weeds grow fast and use up all their reserves. I expect what you are seeing are a lot of broadleaf weeds with twisted leaves sticking up all over the place. If so thats good most will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I started to spray that stuff last night. Lawn was cut on Saturday and the weeds are flying along since. There was a drop of rain the other day and you can nearly hear them growing.

I've 6500 sqm of lawn to spray with a 15L sack so thats my weekend planned out!

Is it effective against thistles and docks? Can you spray it twice in one year? I think I might have to hit the docks twice and I'll defo miss parts doing it manually

the lawn was sown last summer and it is covered in dock and in places thistles. I also have scutch grass in places but I don't think there is much I can do about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Dicophar has a label recommendation of one spray a year.

If you need additional treatments get something less heavyweight that just has 24-D in it, some formulations of 24-D for lawns allow for up to three spays a year.

Scutch should go with regular mowing.

Advertisement