Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Lashing rain here now horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

overcast humid muck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Have been shower free in North Kildare since this morning, surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Turned out a lovely day in Donegal with plenty of sunshine after a very wet morning.

While there have been some truly awful days overall I'd say this month is running above average here. Definitely when compared to most other August's in recent memory

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Awful day in Firhouse Dublin 24.
    Rain on and off all day, some bright spells but not for long enough to actually do anything outside.
    Very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Raining on and off and very windy in my part of Dublin. Looks like tomorrow will be the same. No wind on Monday though, but highs of 16c.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I think from 7pm onward we are looking at a clearance though for the evening in the East?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after a brief spell of warm sunshine earlier on today, the day has deteriorated into a horrible autumnal mucky afternoon and evening that wouldn't be out of place in the final weeks of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Never improved at all here in NCD. Sick of this wind yet again all week + more to come next week.

Such a horrible summer. Gloomy, dull, wet + windy!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just crap. It's total crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

at this stage I think it's safe to put away the summer clothing and gear for another year. Fire lit again this evening, and it will probably be lit every evening between now and next June unless we get a fine week in September which at the moment is looking rather unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Lovely afternoon in Achill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

sryanbruen wrote: »
    New event thread on coming Tuesday's depression here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058106762

There's weather depression every day in this country :pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Gonzo wrote: »
    at this stage I think it's safe to put away the summer clothing and gear for another year. Fire lit again this evening, and it will probably be lit every evening between now and next June unless we get a fine week in September which at the moment is looking rather unlikely.

Looking at the current charts subject to change of course but I would say some frost next weekend is possible in places. First frosts of the season possible.

Billcarson wrote: »
    Looking at the current charts subject to change of course but I would say some frost next weekend is possible in places. First frosts of the season possible.

yep temperatures really sliding away next week, could get as low as 2 or 3C in places by night later next week and weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Billcarson wrote: »

Frosts in August :eek: Ah come on, it should be October for those for those at earliest :( I did notice lost of wind burn on my plants from recent storms though. Really horrible weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Frosts in August :eek: Ah come on, it should be October for those for those at earliest :( I did notice lost of wind burn on my plants from recent storms though. Really horrible weather.

Possible to get some frost in any month of the year in this country although very rare in july but not very rare I would say in late August particularly in favoured spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jaffa20 wrote: »

The foliage on my potatoes has been well and truly blasted and withered by Ellen. They are in the patch facing due north..On the plus side, some lovely " cut" flowers indoors...

Revelling in the utter silence here just now. A rare experience these days. All the deliveries Ellen zapped are in; and I just saw we are headed for another blast. But just now - peace. No wind, no rain. Deep sweet silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

mcburns07 wrote: »
    There's weather depression every day in this country :pac:;)

I lived nine years on a Northern Outer Orkney island. Barely gets light in winter and the gales there last three days; the worst then was gusts of 124 MILES an hour.

With heavier rain than here. Mud!

One " summer" we had no sun at all and all the hay etc failed. Drs were handing out anti-ds like smarties.

Although we did get snow every winter ;) Good thick snow.

At least a little bit of sunshine this morning.

Still as windy as ever though. FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

appledrop wrote: »
    At least a little bit of sunshine this morning.

Still as windy as ever though. FFS.

And a storm coming on Tuesday. It could be windy till next Spring ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Typical Irish sky again this morning that low grey cloud with the odd speck of blue in the distance somewhere and of course that annoying breeze that’s omnipresent. Bits and pieces of drizzle intermixed as well. The obligatory 16 degrees.

first dry morning here in a week, finally a window to go and cut that grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gusts finally died down and became normal coastal wind last night after nearly 3 days! Dry and partly sunny today, warm aswell. Plenty of grass being cut. Beaches also back to red and yellow flags at last as the sea has calmed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Pretty notable stat.

Wettest summers on record at Valentia Observatory since 1939.

2009: 619.7mm
    2020 (to Aug 22nd): 493.2mm
    1950: 454.4mm
    1985: 452.0mm
    2008: 422.3mm

So Summer 2020 is 2nd wettest on record at Valentia..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Pretty notable stat.

Wettest summers on record at Valentia Observatory since 1939.

2009: 619.7mm
    2020 (to Aug 22nd): 493.2mm
    1950: 454.4mm
    1985: 452.0mm
    2008: 422.3mm

So Summer 2020 is 2nd wettest on record at Valentia..

With more rain coming from west cork, ontop of the 120mm and 93mm they received in two days and the heavy downpours from ellen, August could be one of the wettest months recorded. Wish there was an actual station down here but WOW doesn't seem to have any either

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

With more rain coming from west cork, ontop of the 120mm and 93mm they received in two days and the heavy downpours from ellen, August could be one of the wettest months recorded. Wish there was an actual station down here but WOW doesn't seem to have any either

Sounds like a brilliant summer there.

Gusts finally died down and became normal coastal wind last night after nearly 3 days! Dry and partly sunny today, warm aswell. Plenty of grass being cut. Beaches also back to red and yellow flags at last as the sea has calmed down.

I dont know where your based but thats certainly not the case here in NCD. Its still extremely windy here + you certainly wouldn't be heading to beach. I

If you look at current observations on Met Eireann we are still getting strong gusts. Basicially wind hasn't died down here since storm hit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement

next weekend will be very cool indeed and there is the possibility of the first frost with temperatures going down to 2 or 3c, this could trend even cooler before then too.

168-580UK.GIF?23-6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement