Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I see ME in the latest weather advisory are giving that "Intense rainfall is expected at times Monday night and on Tuesday. Falls of 30 to 50mm are expected with surface flooding."

ME used to give excess rainfall data for the country as a whole - but for some reason can't find it on their website (individual stations are there ok)

Does anyone know location of the year cumulative levels of rainfall for the entire country year to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Pretty notable stat.

Wettest summers on record at Valentia Observatory since 1939.

2009: 619.7mm
    2020 (to Aug 22nd): 493.2mm
    1950: 454.4mm
    1985: 452.0mm
    2008: 422.3mm

So Summer 2020 is 2nd wettest on record at Valentia..

2009 could be run close in the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Pretty notable stat.

Wettest summers on record at Valentia Observatory since 1939.

2009: 619.7mm
    2020 (to Aug 22nd): 493.2mm
    1950: 454.4mm
    1985: 452.0mm
    2008: 422.3mm

So Summer 2020 is 2nd wettest on record at Valentia..

I would be midway between valentia and shannon and while i remember both 08 and '09 as been washout ,summer 2012 topped them all but no mention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Just looked at the rainfall graphs on met.ie. Make horrific viewing with the volume of water that has fallen. A lot of heavy rainfall events here in North Tipp since last August. Only good points in points in the past 12 months have been a fine week last september, January wasn't bad and the lockdown period was bliss weatherwise. Farming and land is floating and saturated and will take some time and heat to dry out. Otherwise an early winter. The law of averages with weather does have to kick in at some stage and give this country a break

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just looked at the rainfall graphs on met.ie. Make horrific viewing with the volume of water that has fallen. A lot of heavy rainfall events here in North Tipp since last August. Only good points in points in the past 12 months have been a fine week last september, January wasn't bad and the lockdown period was bliss weatherwise. Farming and land is floating and saturated and will take some time and heat to dry out. Otherwise an early winter. The law of averages with weather does have to kick in at some stage and give this country a break

Apart from the Spring dry spell the rain/deluges has been fairly relentless over the past 12 months, possibly one of the wettest 12 months period ever, we really do need less in the way of constant heavy rainfall over the next 12 months. We could be in trouble if we are to experience a repeat of last Autumn and Winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

cute geoge wrote: »
    I would be midway between valentia and shannon and while i remember both 08 and '09 as been washout ,summer 2012 topped them all but no mention

Summer 2012 had 332.2mm at Valentia, not nearly as wet as those mentioned. Cork Apt had 527.4mm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays rather dismal max:

Newport 19.0 degrees
    Oak Park 18.9
    Roaches point 18.6
    Phoenix Park 18.6

At the bottom,Malin Head 13.4 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Typical Irish sky again this morning that low grey cloud with the odd speck of blue in the distance somewhere and of course that annoying breeze that’s omnipresent. Bits and pieces of drizzle intermixed as well. The obligatory 16 degrees.

Sums up the typical average Irish sky perfectly!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

With more rain coming from west cork, ontop of the 120mm and 93mm they received in two days and the heavy downpours from ellen, August could be one of the wettest months recorded. Wish there was an actual station down here but WOW doesn't seem to have any either

Sherkin and Dunmanway?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Intensely, deeply quiet here . Not a whisper of wind. Still all but dark. The blackberries are ripening and I picked the first yesterday. Autumn fruits.. Love this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Quite morning here in Castlebar with thick Fog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Dull and damp in wexford again this morning after a few nice days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some nice sunshine in Kildare

Dazzling sun.. azure skies... and the only clouds are the midges. Not a soupcon of moving air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy morning again in Cork City, about 16 degrees but feels like it could rain at any minute

I was just outside harvesting potatoes for my meal, and you never saw a more lovely and... innocent... day. Slight gentle breeze and the ocean! Oh my! So blue and calm .. All so beautiful . Breathtaking.
    Skies blue... Warm sunshine. Bliss!

Flowers so pretty..

Then I came in to read the orange warnings and the horrors ahead.

Well, life is never without ...challenge. Feeling for all; rain here just runs off to the ocean and I keep wondering about that.

Francis aka,, Frankenstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Very pleasant 19°c in the Ballysimon area near Limerick City. Had to take off the jumper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it's kinda sad to admit today is probably one of the best days we've had all summer, a mild day with a good bit of cloud but the brief sunny spells are fairly warm. Current temperature 17C but when the sun comes out it probably rise to 18c or 19C briefly. Lawnmowers going like crazy throughout the area, in a race to beat the rain and to cut grass that is at best half dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Gonzo wrote: »
    it's kinda sad to admit today is probably one of the best days we've had all summer, a mild day with a good bit of cloud but the brief sunny spells are fairly warm. Current temperature 17C but when the sun comes out it probably rise to 18c or 19C briefly. Lawnmowers going like crazy throughout the area, in a race to beat the rain and to cut grass that is at best half dry.

Cut my grass today, indeed to beat the coming rain. The grass was pretty wet aswell ,had to even wear a pair of whellies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Three loads of washing out on line today!

Probably won't get another dry day for awhile so taking advantage today.

Looking forward to nice walk this evening.

• Advertisement

Billcarson wrote: »
    Cut my grass today, indeed to beat the coming rain. The grass was pretty wet aswell ,had to even wear a pair of whellies

parts of my garden are still incredibly wet and the mower started sinking into the mud in places along the side of the house which see's alot of water run off from the neighbors garden. The garden here is as saturated as it would be in the middle of a wetter than average winter and it's only August, it's been a disgraceful summer overall here in Meath. The mean temperature for Dunsany is currently 15.7 which is the third lowest temperature in the whole country. Dublin Airport (also nearby) and Malin Head are the only other stations cooler. Rainfall is sitting at 62.1mm and that will be certainly north of 100mm by month's end.

Just had a look at the rainfall totals across the country and even if we don't see another drop of rain between now and the end of the month, it is already a very wet month. Most stations across the country are between 70 and 90mm already and several are north of 100mm with Valentia leading the way with 153mm. By months end I think most stations will be north of 100mm and some western stations could peak past 200mm for August.

We are going to need a dryer Autumn than last year or else flooding is going to become a real issue in places in the coming weeks and months.

Pre-Francis August rainfall totals for synoptic stations to 23rd, in comparison to August 2019 totals.

bj95N48.jpg

Data from Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport looks set to have its third wettest summer on record after the next few days of rain and break 500mm along with Valentia.

The 535.3mm in 1998 and 566mm in 2009 do not look like they will be beaten this year for Newport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Jizique

Xenji wrote: »
    Newport looks set to have its third wettest summer on record after the next few days of rain and break 500mm along with Valentia.

The 535.3mm in 1998 and 566mm in 2009 do not look like they will be beaten this year for Newport.

Interesting to see such a difference between Newport, Knock and Belmullet

Biggest difference about today is the calmness.

We had lovely 2 hours out in park this evening. It wasn't sunny but because no wind it was lovely.

I actually got a headache yesterday from trying to walk in that wind. Sick of it since storm last week. It has been relentless here + no doubt it will be back tomorrow.

Windest summer ever, along with one of dullest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Gonzo wrote: »
    Just had a look at the rainfall totals across the country and even if we don't see another drop of rain between now and the end of the month, it is already a very wet month. Most stations across the country are between 70 and 90mm already and several are north of 100mm with Valentia leading the way with 153mm. By months end I think most stations will be north of 100mm and some western stations could peak past 200mm for August.

We are going to need a dryer Autumn than last year or else flooding is going to become a real issue in places in the coming weeks and months.

I am up to 146.6mm already this August. Correct me if I am wrong but i think you said Gonzo that August has been a better month than July in your area, Well the opposite can be said for me!

I've certainly preferred August over July but let's not put lipstick on a pig.

I've certainly preferred August over July but let's not put lipstick on a pig.

Id agree but I would have liked it even more if we got good weather in Dublin that week that everyone else got.

Temperatures + sunshine are probably going to be near or above average in rest of country but definitely not in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Winters night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement