Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Hardly a breath of wind in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Gonzo wrote: »
    it's kinda sad to admit today is probably one of the best days we've had all summer, a mild day with a good bit of cloud but the brief sunny spells are fairly warm. Current temperature 17C but when the sun comes out it probably rise to 18c or 19C briefly. Lawnmowers going like crazy throughout the area, in a race to beat the rain and to cut grass that is at best half dry.
    It depends where ya were but we've had a good few days better than this and near a full 7 day week with very little rain while in Achill a few weeks ago.
    I think people focus on the negatives too much. We have had some lovely days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    Id agree but I would have liked it even more if we got good weather in Dublin that week that everyone else got.

Temperatures + sunshine are probably going to be near or above average in rest of country but definitely not in Dublin.

South Meath and North Dublin have probably had the worst summer overall in the entire country. Not only was the warm week a bust here but we also had the worst weather in June as well with rain on many of the days that other parts of the country were crying out for rain. No thunderstorm action either other than very distant flashes from over 100km away. July was just universally a pigs ear of a disgrace throughout the country.

For me this has been the worst summer I have ever experienced in Ireland because it's the only summer I could not escape to warmer climates and spent all 3 months looking out at either cloud, mist or rain with the exception of about 6 nice days. The summers of 2007 to 2012 were also generally awfull but at least I got to spend some time in Spain during those summers which helped alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well this storm is after waking me up!

Lashing rain here + wind blowing it against window.

Another windy summers night in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is quieting out here.. planning a short walk imminently.

NB the deluge started again so no walk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is Cork fecked?

Is Cork fecked?

Cork City is fine. Heaviest rain eased at 2am so it's pretty clear by now. Looks the west coast took the brunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cork City is fine. Heaviest rain eased at 2am so it's pretty clear by now. Looks the west coast took the brunt.

It must be in Donegal now, cos its been lashing hard now for hours.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So dark and miserable in Dublin. I hope we get some let up in Sept/Oct. I remember an absolutely beautiful October in about 2015 I think, no wind and lots of sun for what seemed like weeks, with temps of about 15/16. That's great weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Wonder would the yanks do a swapsies with Hawaii and we all move there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

this lovely August weather has me calling a roofer for a roof leak..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Whilst I appreciate that some people including myself like a good storm the unfortunate reality of today is that it’s another appalling “summer” day in Ireland. Gales intermittent showers grey skies it’s depressing and we can’t even escape out of here without the newly appointed Covid police wagging their fingers at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^

yep, its a wrist slitting situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Is there any high pressure or dry spell in the long term forecasts. I plan to take some time off in Sept.

Indian summer anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^

yep, its a wrist slitting situation

Not sure if your being flippant but if you do feel like that because of the weather it might be worth talking to somebody!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Is there any high pressure or dry spell in the long term forecasts. I plan to take some time off in Sept.

Indian summer anywhere?

nothing particularly settled on the horizon, we should see an increase in temperatures during the first week of September but it still looks fairly mixed overall.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Not sure if your being flippant but if you do feel like that because of the weather it might be worth talking to somebody!

The weather actually does contribute to depression/suicide. I think that's why it's really high in places like Finland.
    It certainly affects my mood anyway, today is absolutely manky and I feel extra irritable!

absolutely horrendeus day here in Meath, rain coming down in sheets. I think we've found a new benchmark for crap summers, move over 2012, summer 2020 has taken it's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Cork was absolutely hamerred by rain yesterday. 52mm at Valentina just under 37 at Cork Airport.

That's before you consider all rain last week.

Lashing rain here in NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Gonzo wrote: »
    absolutely horrendeus day here in Meath, rain coming down in sheets. I think we've found a new benchmark for crap summers, move over 2012, summer 2020 has taken it's place.

In terms of being a crap "summer" 2020 has beaten 1985, 1986, 1993 and 2007 through to 2012. Whatever about temperature, it has to be the dullest summer on record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Thought 2012 was worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Billcarson wrote: »
    Thought 2012 was worse

From what I remember there weren't two named storms in summer 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Emme wrote: »
    From what I remember there weren't two named storms in summer 2012.

They weren't naming storms back then.

Billcarson wrote: »
    Thought 2012 was worse

If your located outside of north Dublin or south Meath then possibly 2012 was worse. North Dublin/south Meath has been fed the wooden spoon this summer from beginning to end and is an anomaly compared to the rest of Europe and indeed Ireland with mostly cool and cloudy conditions throughout the entire summer and very little warmth or sunshine. July is still the standout worst month of the summer but August is catching up very fast after an already poor/disappointing first half to August.

Are we still in Francis right now? In Dublin this is almost as bad as it has been during Ellen/Frances at the moment

Emme wrote: »
    In terms of being a crap "summer" 2020 has beaten 1985, 1986, 1993 and 2007 through to 2012. Whatever about temperature, it has to be the dullest summer on record.

temperatures have been fairly poor too. First half of July struggled to get much beyond 12C by day. Poor daytime temperatures for most of August too with the exception of 2 days. The only reason that the mean temperature is a hair's breath above normal is because of the very mild nights which in some cases were warmer than the daytime temperatures when everywhere else had summer weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ara would ye stop - twas a great summer/year.

Accept the fact that we will get middling weather most of the year, as opposed to one extreme to the other, buy some wet gear and try yer best to make the most of it.
    Otherwise move elsewhere.
    Things could be a lot worse!

kippy wrote: »

Accept the fact that we will get middling weather most of the year, as opposed to one extreme to the other, buy some wet gear and try yer best to make the most of it.

It wasn't a great summer. One of the worst in memory.
    This is the mad thing about Ireland, people will be going around next year saying last summer was great. I can never understand why they do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kippy wrote: »

jaysus - it's been pretty poor since the start of June really

the last few days have been an absolute shocker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not sure I'd stick this up with the worst summers. The past week has been shocking, the few weeks before that weren't great.
    But there was some really lovely periods, realize I'm in Kilkenny so not fully representative. We are stuck in a series of Atlantic depressions which seem to be fairly common in the last while in Augusts. But worst summer? Far from it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement