Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It wasn't a great summer. One of the worst in memory.
    This is the mad thing about Ireland, people will be going around next year saying last summer was great. I can never understand why they do this.

Nothing wrong with being positive - whether right or wrong!
    Helps the head.
    No much point in complaining too much about something you are not able to change, less moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Gonzo wrote: »
    If your located outside of north Dublin or south Meath then possibly 2012 was worse. North Dublin/south Meath has been fed the wooden spoon this summer from beginning to end and is an anomaly compared to the rest of Europe and indeed Ireland with mostly cool and cloudy conditions throughout the entire summer and very little warmth or sunshine. July is still the standout worst month of the summer but August is catching up very fast after an already poor/disappointing first half to August.

Is there a reason at times how one half of county can get it much worse than other half.

As I swear I've come over the moterway countless times and it's lashing rain and big showers between Blanch and Finglas exits, time and time again.

I've always thought something to it as deffo noticed it. Or am I completely mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’ve been watering my flowers nightly until last week- that’s kind of how I gauge the dryness! If I didn’t they’d have wilted away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

road_high wrote: »
    Not sure I'd stick this up with the worst summers. The past week has been shocking, the few weeks before that weren't great.
    But there was some really lovely periods, realize I'm in Kilkenny so not fully representative. We are stuck in a series of Atlantic depressions which seem to be fairly common in the last while in Augusts. But worst summer? Far from it.

My part of Dublin hasn't had any lovely periods. The first half of June was terrible once the nice weather broke down, the second half was better but not nice at all, July was obviously awful, the first half of August had wall-to-wall clouds and now we're dealing with this. June and August have had some very nice individual days though but no periods of nice weather. I think the first half of August was the best part of the summer, which is a testament to how horrible it's been!

Edit: This post sounds aggressive, I didn't intend to make it sound that way, I understand and respect that your part of the country had better weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Horrific in Dublin 8 at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Absolute scutter in NCD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cool wet and windy : castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

This 'summer' needs to euthanised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Plenty of competition this year but I think today might take the prize for worst day of the summer here in Donegal.

Truly miserable since first light this morning and still no sign of a let up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Artane2002 wrote: »
    My part of Dublin hasn't had any lovely periods. The first half of June was terrible once the nice weather broke down, the second half was better but not nice at all, July was obviously awful, the first half of August had wall-to-wall clouds and now we're dealing with this. June and August have had some very nice individual days though but no periods of nice weather. I think the first half of August was the best part of the summer, which is a testament to how horrible it's been!

Edit: This post sounds aggressive, I didn't intend to make it sound that way, I understand and respect that your part of the country had better weather.

I'm in South Kildare and it's been the very same. Farmers have been able to do very little. Fields with corn half cut for more than a week is a common sight around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

Came from Cork to Dublin this afternoon. Cork windy but sunny and warm. Dublin was horrific!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Plenty of competition this year but I think today might take the prize for worst day of the summer here in Donegal.

Truly miserable since first light this morning and still no sign of a let up

Wet gear something something quit moaning something something great climate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I know recency bias etc, but I can't remember a worse day of summer than this. Although I was living abroad from 2007 - 2015, I know there were some shocking summers in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Billcarson wrote: »
    Thought 2012 was worse

Great movie, serious flooding though!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think most peoples opinions about this summer are going to be quite varied depending on location. Parts of the country have had a half decent summer aside from July. Huge differences in rainfall totals in June from once place to another with central and mid western areas having quite a dry month and the north-west and Dublin/Meath areas having quite a bit of rain to contend with and lower temperatures because of it.

We can all agree that July was just a pigs ear across the entire country.

The first half of August is where the big differences develop. The west and north-west had generally a very good first half of August with a few exceptions. Some places even managed an entire week of blue skies and temperatures in the low to mid twenties every day.

Southern coastal areas had an interesting summer in terms of thunder storms, with parts of Wexford and Waterford as well as Cork and Kerry getting several thunderstorms in June and August. Some western areas also saw thunderstorms in June.

The midlands had the driest weather to contend with particularly in June and managed to escape much of the rain and showers that affected many eastern and north-western areas.

As has been mentioned so many times Dublin/Meath and a few other surrounding areas have had a rough time of it with a fairly wet June and a crap August with very little warmth, a minimum amount of sunshine. The week of fine weather was basically a week of cloud/mist and mid teen temperatures and then back to the windy wet deluges that we are now all experiencing.

Everyone here will have a different point of view in how they see this August and indeed summer depending on where they live.

Emme wrote: »
    I'm in South Kildare and it's been the very same. Farmers have been able to do very little. Fields with corn half cut for more than a week is a common sight around here.

In fairness most winter crops are harvested. A start has been made into spring crops (of which there are more and also sown later due to the awfully late spring). Often see half cut fields as it wasn’t all fit to cut.
    Their biggest enemy is the wind, other than that they’ll be fine we’ll into September. Good progress has been made in the south east, thinks there’s bigger issues in cork and the north east with the harvesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

The best spring in living memory followed by the worst summer. Extremes to say the least.
    Co. Leitrim.

OldRio wrote: »
    The best spring in living memory followed by the worst summer. Extremes to say the least.
    Co. Leitrim.

Was up there a month ago. Genuinely felt “cold”!

My house is cold today, I wonder if it's due to lack of sunshine or something. Working from homers are going to have serious heating bills this winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A break between weather systems today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My house is cold today, I wonder if it's due to lack of sunshine or something. Working from homers are going to have serious heating bills this winter.

My house is the same, lack of sun/warmth all summer has just kept the house on the cool side. Worst part is now the garden, it's an absolute swamp in places with lying water along some of the edges, very similar to how it was in February.

My biggest wish for this autumn is to see an increasing drying trend that will last weeks, If we get another autumn like last year, the flood risk will be worse due to this very wet summer.

My house is the same, lack of sun/warmth all summer has just kept the house on the cool side. Worst part is now the garden, it's an absolute swamp in places with lying water along some of the edges, very similar to how it was in February.

My biggest wish for this autumn is to see an increasing drying trend that will last weeks, If we get another autumn like last year, the flood risk will be worse due to this very wet summer.

It's mad, I stepped outside a while back and it's warmer outside than inside. My house is really well insulated too, but yes it must be the lack of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was thinking the same last night. Farmers are going to struggle this winter if we don't get some drying.
    Lit a fire last night and then went out for a 2 hour walk In the forest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow and Offaly

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Intense and potentially thundery downpours are expected on Wednesday night, Thursday and Thursday night which may lead to localised flooding.

Given recent heavy rainfall, this will further elevate river levels and may result in river flooding also.

Valid: 01:00 Thursday 27/08/2020 to 01:00 Friday 28/08/2020

Issued: 12:00 Wednesday 26/08/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Well this very wet weather has to end at some point. If I was a betting man I would go for fairly warm and dry October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Glorious sunny day here in Dublin. Feeling warmer than 18 C. Such a welcome relief from all that wind and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

2012 was much worse than this summer, last August was worse than this August in the west

I honestly can't remember when August wasn't bad ?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    2012 was much worse than this summer, last August was worse than this August in the west

I honestly can't remember when August wasn't bad ?

You must be located in the west or north-west? This summer as a whole has been considerably worse in the east than it has been in the west and as a result in some parts this summer has been worse than 2012.

My local station of Dunsany had the worst July since 2009 in terms of rainfall. I've never seen a summer with so much wind either and the lack of sunshine is at record breaking levels here in Meath and Dublin. June was a fairly wet month here, July was a total an utter washout write-off and August is turning into another washout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You must be located in the west or north-west? This summer as a whole has been considerably worse in the east than it has been in the west and as a result in some parts this summer has been worse than 2012.

My local station of Dunsany had the worst July since 2009 in terms of rainfall. I've never seen a summer with so much wind either and the lack of sunshine is at record breaking levels here in Meath and Dublin. June was a fairly wet month here, July was a total an utter washout write-off and August is turning into another washout.

Yes ,in the west as highlighted in my previous post

Last August was almost the wettest month on record at athenry Station

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement