Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

I'd say that this summer in wexford has been awful. It was warm and sunny until June. June wasn't too bad. I can remember a few sunny days in June, though there was a lot of rain. July started out very wet and cold. There were a few sunny days around the middle of the month but then most of the time it was wet. In August there was 2 days of warm sunshine followed by a week of low cloud and was very humid. And since then it's been windy and rainy all the time, apart from a day or two of sunshine and clouds.

With all the wind from the 2 storms recently, trees have already lost most of their leaves. There is one tree in particular in my garden that is almost bare already. I've noticed a lot of half-harvested fields around. Also, at the stables where I keep my horse, it has gotten extremely muddy, so much that it is difficult to walk through even with boots on. absolute washout of a summer.

I really hope we get some good dry weather soon, as this winter will be very long otherwise and there will be a lot of flooding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Never realised just how much i detest our climate

Covid has opened the eyes big time!
    Not getting away for any proper heat and it has totally gotten to me.

I would miss so much about Ireland if i moved to warmer climate but the trade off - its seriously beyond a joke our climate

The sunny trade off..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Summer wasn’t that bad down in Limerick. Probably not as good as last year. Early June and the 1st half of August were quite good. Most of July was disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Today was a grand day in fairness in Dublin. Nice sunny spells with passing cloud at times.

I'm not speaking about my opinion on this summer anymore because I think I've voiced it loud and clear enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

when was the last good August? can remeber one in last 10 years, always from Galway races its goes bad then picks up in early september

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Enjoyed the day here in Kerry, bright and sunny with a mix of slow moving cloud with some interesting shapes to them. Got up to 18.2C but with the window down in the car and the obligatory arm hanging out after work on the drive home could feel that Autumnal feeling. Around the house and in the woods over the weekend there is plenty of early crunchy leaves underfoot already this year and we were surprised by the amount of different fungi in the woods. Could even get that damp light Autumn smell of foliage decay, the kind of smell that tells you to get ready for the longer nights ahead and to get checking the fuel situation. I see in the charts have temperatures struggling to get up to the mid teens in many places Fri and Sat, a bit better Sunday, at least it will calm down and be fairly dry much of the time, let the place dry out again. After Thursdays LP we get into a Northerly flow. Cold nights coming up over the weekend going down to single digits in places, I see a few 6C and 5C inland away from the coasts.

Some warmer days next week but looks to bring rain with it from the SW. Hopefully we will get some steady nice weather in September , can often get a few slow moving HP's then with warmish days and cool nights.

anim_bks9.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A mild, moist, misty MIDGY morning... I was out at first light after rose hips and blackberries and until the slight early breeze died down all was well.. Then the midge …ouch!

The blackberries are not doing well; they need sun and less rain. But last year was abundant and I still have jam.

It is so still and quiet that you feel like holding your breath. Narrow clouds climbing the mountains, parallel with the ocean, Sky gray and low. Very atmospheric!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Back to the Summer 2020 default weather after a very nice day yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pleasantly peaceful and calm. Not a ripple out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yesterday was ok but today miserable again. It looks like it's going to be very cold at the weekend too, in August. Why am I even surprised any more...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

MT said this
    The outlook for next week is generally rather unsettled with a gradual warming trend, highs could be into the low 20s by end of the week.

Possible Indian summer when the kids go back to school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭acequion

It's a lovely day in Tralee.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another absolute pig of a day here in Meath, cool and wet, plenty of surface water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Intense thunder and lightning storm here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Intense thunder and lightning storm here now.

Same here in wexford, absolutely belting down right now and the driveway is getting flooded. Was lovely beforehand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thunder and lightning in Wexford. Decent sized hailstones.

Absolutely f*cking MANKY in Dublin. And tomorrow is meant to be worse. How on Earth can the Gov not expect people to take holidays when we're subjected to this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's starting to feel very chilly now, only 13C and a dark, misty drizzly afternoon after a morning of very heavy rain. Garden is waterlogged in places from all the rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Cork City pish all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Gonzo wrote: »
    It's starting to feel very chilly now, only 13C and a dark, misty drizzly afternoon after a morning of very heavy rain. Garden is waterlogged in places from all the rain.

I've given in + put the heating on! Damp + chilly this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Only 4 days to go thank dog!

appledrop wrote: »
    I've given in + put the heating on! Damp + chilly this evening.

Fire lit here this evening and most of the evenings over the past week.

degsie wrote: »
    Only 4 days to go thank dog!

I've never ever wished the end of a summer as much as this one. Autumn can only be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

Thank Dog it's nearly over.

Woof!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Absolutely f*cking MANKY in Dublin. And tomorrow is meant to be worse. How on Earth can the Gov not expect people to take holidays when we're subjected to this?

Yep the government are to blame for the weather and putting in initiatives to prevent us all dying from a deadly virus. :pac:

Yep the government are to blame for the weather and putting in initiatives to prevent us all dying from a deadly virus. :pac:

The Irish summer is a deadly virus and should be avoided at all costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Gonzo wrote: »
    I've never ever wished the end of a summer as much as this one. Autumn can only be better.

That's what I thought about last winter regarding spring. Spring was great. Hopefully a decent autumn but I would like a seasonal one. Cool and dry would be nice or at least after mid October.

Billcarson wrote: »
    That's what I thought about last winter regarding spring. Spring was great. Hopefully a decent autumn but I would like a seasonal one. Cool and dry would be nice or at least after mid October.

We will be in trouble if we don't get a decent dry settled spell this Autumn which lasts for a few weeks, the ground here is barely able to cope with all the rain over the past 2 and a half months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Evenings are really closing in now but am becoming weary with this constant warmth that hangs around all evening and night. Can't seem to cool the house down at all, even with all the windows wide open. As others have said, I am looking forward to autumn if just for the cooler temps and hopefully some nice, fresh, moonlit evenings.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I can see a mass exodus from the likes of Dublin next year to sunnier foreign climes when people are looking at summer holiday options(assuming some sort of normality has returned to the world by then)

As someone who splits his time for work and other reasons between North Mayo and Kildare, its been a very "odd" summer in that the West coast has experienced significantly better conditions in terms of temp and dry days compared to the Dublin region.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement