Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I

As someone who splits his time for work and other reasons between North Mayo and Kildare, its been a very "odd" summer in that the West coast has experienced significantly better conditions in terms of temp and dry days compared to the Dublin region.

Yes, we out here have got off very lightly with recent storms too. They have rampaged down the centre rather than roaring in along here.

Windsong and rain melody this morning. A lovely familiarity. A day for chicken soup and a fire. All is well. No berry picking today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Bravo, weather has somehow managed to be a good bit worse than yesterday, Summer 2020 is just trolling us at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Wet again this morning, what's new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I just want to know how when most places around the world are setting records for heat and sun, even in very unexpected areas, even in England, but here its the total opposite, records of rain, wind, darkness and misery.

The_Brood wrote: »
    I just want to know how when most places around the world are setting records for heat and sun, even in very unexpected areas, even in England, but here its the total opposite, records of rain, wind, darkness and misery.

In fairness they're saying it could be the coldest August bank holiday weekend on record in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭alentejo

I thought things weather wise were supposed to improve a little on Friday. Absolute awful in Dublin at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Living in Dublin 12 years now. Easily one of the worst summers that I can remember in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

One of those mornings that I’m glad I’m still working from home.

No raincoats and umbrellas needed for the trudge to the Luas stop.

Under the duvet still, laptop on.

Hopefully the misery clears soon, need to finish some late season gardening this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Any chance of an Indian summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel, what are the chances of a decent September?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Slattsy wrote: »
    Is there any light at the end of the tunnel, what are the chances of a decent September?

Looking average enough from my amateur hobby reading of the long range charts

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dirty morning in Dublin! Increasingly windy too. Recent gust of 46 kts at DunLaoghaire.

Cool + windy out there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Looking forward to the cool and dry weekend and seeing how low the temperatures get on Saturday night ,not that they will be anything extraordinary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My relations recently moved to Meath on 1st of June after living in Manchester/Birmingham for years, one of them is English and they thought there wouldn't be much difference in the weather between Manchester and Meath.

I was talking to them last week and they cannot get over just how bad our weather is. They thought UK weather was poor but nothing prepared them for living in Ireland since this June. They cannot believe that they have only seen the sun properly on 5 or 6 days since the end of May and have never seen so much cloud and rain in their lives.

The weather in Manchester wouldn't be as warm or regularly sunny as it would be in London but still it's fairly normal to get the odd hot day there and lots of days into the low 20s during the summer, particularly if there is a spell of good weather.

While they do get their fair share of rain in Manchester throughout the year, they have never seen cloud/rain/mist that is just relentless throughout all 3 summer months without even a break and that is exactly what they have seen so far this summer living here in Ireland. I've told them that this is the worst summer I have ever seen in Meath. I don't think we've ever had a summer so poor that we didn't even get 2 sunny days in a row at any stage since Spring.

At the moment they are going to stay here for another year to see how things go but they said if every summer is like this year, they would have to consider going elsewhere as the relentless rain and cloud is just too much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Billcarson wrote: »
    Looking forward to the cool and dry weekend and seeing how low the temperatures get on Saturday night ,not that they will be anything extraordinary.

This weekend has the potential to be the best weather for this summer in Dublin. It may be cool but it's possible Saturday and Sunday could be mostly dry and decent sunny spells with cool and clear nights. We haven't had that at any stage since summer began and it will be most welcome.

Fairly ferocious out here now. Just back in from picking peas in time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Last night was the first night that the house felt chilly, and today there is a noticeable chill in the air and the wind. A few drizzle showers in cork city today but going between cloud and sun for the most part

another manky morning here in Meath, 12C breezy and spits of drizzle after a very wet night. Looks like the rain is finally starting to clear but it is feeling very cool now at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Gonzo wrote: »
    My relations recently moved to Meath on 1st of June after living in Manchester/Birmingham for years, one of them is English and they thought there wouldn't be much difference in the weather between Manchester and Meath.

I was talking to them last week and they cannot get over just how bad our weather is. They thought UK weather was poor but nothing prepared them for living in Ireland since this June. They cannot believe that they have only seen the sun properly on 5 or 6 days since the end of May and have never seen so much cloud and rain in their lives.

The weather in Manchester wouldn't be as warm or regularly sunny as it would be in London but still it's fairly normal to get the odd hot day there and lots of days into the low 20s during the summer, particularly if there is a spell of good weather.

While they do get their fair share of rain in Manchester throughout the year, they have never seen cloud/rain/mist that is just relentless throughout all 3 summer months without even a break and that is exactly what they have seen so far this summer living here in Ireland. I've told them that this is the worst summer I have ever seen in Meath. I don't think we've ever had a summer so poor that we didn't even get 2 sunny days in a row at any stage since Spring.

At the moment they are going to stay here for another year to see how things go but they said if every summer is like this year, they would have to consider going elsewhere as the relentless rain and cloud is just too much.

I mean all in all other than Iceland, Ireland has the poorest weather in Europe in terms of a lack of summer. The difference is people are prepared and ready for a rather extreme climate experience in Iceland, but the reality of just how bad Ireland's weather is doesn't really register with people until they come here.

• Advertisement

I mean all in all other than Iceland, Ireland has the poorest weather in Europe in terms of a lack of summer. The difference is people are prepared and ready for a rather extreme climate experience in Iceland, but the reality of just how bad Ireland's weather is doesn't really register with people until they come here.

We usually get the poorest summer every year with the exception of places like Shetland Islands and the western 1/3rd of Scotland. Most visitors to Ireland expect rain or showers no matter what time of the year it is and the majority only stay here for a weekend, week or perhaps 2 weeks at the very most. They don't get a feel for our weather in such a short stay but it does take several months of living in Ireland from any foreign country to really see how dominated our weather is by cloud, wind, rain and mist.

I'l admit this summer is on it's own for total pig muck and it's not possible to get a worse summer than 2020 here in Meath/Dublin because we didn't actually get a summer this year, unless you include Spring. Summers like 2019 are more typical where 2/3s of the summer is rubbish but a few half decent weeks of summer are usually represented in a typical summer in this area, but this summer we didn't even see 2 days in a row of decent weather, which has to be a first for this area. The fact that we couldn't really travel this summer either and lining up for supermarkets in the rain with masks has put the tin hat on everything about this summer.

On the bright side, I have a feeling we may finally get a few spells of dry and cool weather this Autumn which would be a huge improvement. Next summer hopefully we are back to a more typical summer where it isn't raining or cloudy every single day and fingers crossed we can go on holidays again to experience real summer weather like every other year.

Currently windy, raining and cold out there now. The house feels noticeably colder too, the heating is on and the fire will be lit this evening for the first time in months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

It's become dry here in the last couple of hrs. Should be the end of the rain for a couple of days.

Oh yes it does! When I was trading at street markets in tourist towns there were many from dry parched US areas who came to Ireland JUST for the rain.

And most visitors do not come to Ireland for the weather; they know about the climate. They come for the history, the hospitality, the scenery. I worked with visitors for many years and while they were pleased with good weather, a deluge day did not phase them. Compared with the brutality of current US weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Noticeably chilly today. The summer that keeps giving.

Cool and dark in Dublin. But it's not raining at least, or windy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

An autumnal feel in east Galway. Notable chill and dryness to the air in between showers, no dryness in the ground whatsoever!! House is chilly, turning on the heating for the first time in a month or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Gonzo wrote: »

Did they live in Manchester city? or where they rural?
    Are the rural now in Meath or living up in a built up area?

I don't know if it really makes much difference.
    I'd say rural would be harder than living in a city when it comes to poor weather. But i really don't know as I've lived in Dublin all my life.
    Still think its been poop here since the 1st of June(or start of June ) spare a day or two here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Next Tues can't come soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I like "bad" weather so I have enjoyed this summer, but I agree it has seemed wetter and cooler than normal for weeks. So I'm surprised to see the monthly values for nearby Casement at 78mm rainfall (mean 72.3) and 15.7C (mean 15.1). On paper that really doesn't look that bad and that surprised me! July's figures are genuinely bad, but August has not seemed average at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement