Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Just switched the heating on, 1st time ever in August we've done it, feels so wrong

I refuse to do it. I'm sitting in the cold refusing to give in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well, I attempted my lake swim today but as expected, the air temperature worked against us. The lake was quite flooded and therefore chilly. The air temperature was too cool to compensate, only 14-15°C with quite a breeze. You really need to get a warm hug from the air when you come out of the water. Well, I do. It was mostly sunny and the scenery was gorgeous but there was just no real warmth to be found.

Guesses on what lake it is are welcome. :)

05-B2-A8-CF-12-E2-4-B79-85-CD-F5-E8-DE03-C10-B.jpg?dl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

And of course the skies have cleared now in Firhouse Dublin 24....FFS never during the day....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Darc19 wrote: »
    I refuse to do it. I'm sitting in the cold refusing to give in :D

Same. Kind of. Did stick on the dehumidifier though, which blows out warm air. But hey, 2 birds 1 stone.

Hoping to last a good while longer without the central heating on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Six o' the clock and all is quiet. Still and cool and dry and clear...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Beautiful still bright sunny morning.they have been so rare and boy are they wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

4c this morning, grass slightly white in the shady areas.

Had to wear a jumper on my walk this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

The sky is almost completely clear in wexford, it's been a while since I last saw a clear sky. Not too cold out there, either. Lovely compared to what we have had for most of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Got down to 5c here last night. Nice and fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Cloudy in Dublin 5 as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

A lovely fresh day. Early hint of Autumn. I love September and October.

Just switched the heating on, 1st time ever in August we've done it, feels so wrong

In times past the old cottages would have fires every day of the year and the door open in summer. I have lived like that when I was in Orkney in a traditional stone cottage.

The silence today is so deep .. Intense quiet. The ocean is flat calm and as smooth and shiny as a metal mirror. Hard to stop gazing at it. Makes you hold your breath.. Such stillness is so rare.. Shhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lovely warm day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

lawred2 wrote: »
    Lovely warm day

Where? At the south east coast this afternoon and it’s very autumnal and certainly not warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Where? At the south east coast this afternoon and it’s very autumnal and certainly not warm.

Weird, in south wexford it's warm and sunnier than most days this summer. Though there is a dark cloud that looks to be somewhere over the wexford town area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Very pleasant day in East Cork, spent the first half of the day gardening and the second half sitting out enjoying the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

A lovely day, light winds helping temps. I think peoples expectations of what a late August day should bring are a bit high.

bazlers wrote: »
    A lovely day, light winds helping temps. I think peoples expectations of what a late August day should bring are a bit high.

No. I’ve been on this planet for 36 years and observing weather for 25 of them. This was a cool weekend, temperature-wise, for August. Even Met Éireann acknowledged that the temperatures this weekend would be low for this time of year, so people aren’t imagining it. The cloud - more normal, yes. But coupled with the cool temperatures, it’s a disappointing end to the summer (yes, I know it’s technically autumn but the holiday season).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Day trip to Dun Laoghaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

No. I’ve been on this planet for 36 years and observing weather for 25 of them. This was a cool weekend, temperature-wise, for August. Even Met Éireann acknowledged that the temperatures this weekend would be low for this time of year, so people aren’t imagining it. The cloud - more normal, yes. But coupled with the cool temperatures, it’s a disappointing end to the summer (yes, I know it’s technically autumn but the holiday season).

Ah in fairness with such light winds the chill wasnt that bad. Gorgeous out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a fairly decent day today despite the chill, a big improvement over recent weeks. Next week does not look nearly as poor as the week just gone with the only poor day on Wednesday with a fair deal of rain then dryer again from Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Gonzo wrote: »
    a fairly decent day today despite the chill, a big improvement over recent weeks. Next week does not look nearly as poor as the week just gone with the only poor day on Wednesday with a fair deal of rain then dryer again from Thursday.

Is that high still coming in for the weekend?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great day in Kerry, in fact 3 great days .

Got up to 16.9C in lovely sunshine earlier and flat calm, did cloud over in the afternoon but opened up again early evening.

14.7C now and feels like it is going to cool down plenty tonight.

bazlers wrote: »
    Ah in fairness with such light winds the chill wasnt that bad. Gorgeous out.

Yesterday had a very brisk breeze where I was!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The sun has been shining all day in Cork and flat calm, it felt very pleasant despite the relatively low temperature. Cooling down quickly now though that the sun's strength is fading.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    The sun has been shining all day in Cork and flat calm, it felt very pleasant despite the relatively low temperature. Cooling down quickly now though that the sun's strength is fading.

We didn’t get sun either day of the weekend where I was. Well, briefly on Saturday but there was a brisk breeze so no warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sunny spells in my part of cork city and chilly in shaded areas and in the breeze. Parents were down west and had blue skies all day today and was warm. Totally different around parts of a single county let alone the country

Sunny spells in my part of cork city and chilly in shaded areas and in the breeze. Parents were down west and had blue skies all day today and was warm. Totally different around parts of a single county let alone the country

What part of the west? The corner of it I was in was overcast for most of the weekend. The differences between locations are mad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Is that high still coming in for the weekend?

it's not set in stone yet, maybe we need a few more days to see agreement in the models.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement