Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    Bit of exaggeration there with the ground saturated. Will take a 100ml rain to do that

Drought is over. Look at the forecast. Misery. Rain upon rain upon more rain. What farmer wants full saturated ground in June anyway? Is it rice you grow?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Drought is over. Look at the forecast. Misery. Rain upon rain upon more rain. What farmer wants full saturated ground in June anyway? Is it rice you grow?

What farmer wants is enough moisture and sun not too much of any to grow crops and grass. 15ml rain last night and you wouldn’t it this morn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Not a drop of rain in my area of Cork yesterday and very little over the last few months. Rainfall still badly needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I know its 3 days away but I have something on on Monday and would love a day couple of hours between 6 and 8pm. North Wexford. What are the chances??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Still raining here. Ground is absolutely saturated at this stage.

Worse than yesterday as cold aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    I know its 3 days away but I have something on on Monday and would love a day couple of hours between 6 and 8pm. North Wexford. What are the chances??

Not looking great I'm afraid..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    Bit of exaggeration there with the ground saturated. Will take a 100ml rain to do that

Your wrong the ground is saturated here. We are at over 40mm rain with yesterday + today to be added. Its not just about amount of rain but intensity it falls in. We had 11.4mm in an hour early Wed morning + hasnt stopped raining since so yes ground is saturated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Not looking great I'm afraid..

I was thinking that. I wondering would I better to postpone it until Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

19th of June
    the next week looks a washout
    Tick
    Tock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Another manky day in Dublin, 6 weeks left till August, I wonder if we'll get another nice spell before the annual monsoon season, if we're not in it already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭giveitholly

km79 wrote: »
    19th of June
    the next week looks a washout
    Tick
    Tock

Thought the second half of the week was to be an improvement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Thought the second half of the week was to be an improvement?

MT has said this morning it would be an improvement later in the week, and that it shall get warmer the weekend after!

Just waiting on a post from Gonzo to confirm it in the charts, there must be something showing for MT to post that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

another dull overcast day here in east clare :(

its been like this now for a fortnight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

No rain in cork city yesterday but I did cut the grass as it had gotten long and it was very damp underneath it and nice and green. The thundery downpours of Saturday/Sunday must have done a lot. That was some heavy downpour.

Current sunny spells and about 16 degrees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still raining here in Meath, absolutely horrendeus weather. Garden is starting to get back that squelchy sound from all the rain over the past 4 days. Grass hasn't been cut in nearly two weeks and in the past 4 days the grass growth has been really fast and now the grass is at least double the height it was on Monday. Looks like there will be no grass cutting here either this weekend, I really need some dry weather soon to get the lawn cut without straining the mower too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It could be a case of an east- west split for much of next week, with the high pressure eventually winning out. So for much of next week a trip to somewhere like Enniscrone might be rather different than a trip to Enniscorty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It could be a case of an east- west split for much of next week, with the high pressure eventually winning out. So for much of next week a trip to somewhere like Enniscrone might be rather different than a trip to Enniscorty.

Will take a look at this morning's charts soon, I'd be all up for some dry weather in Meath next week, we badly need a break from the rain and wet ground at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭esposito

I’d rather have an east west split than no split at all.

Hopefully the lows will end for a good while after next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

First real wet day we've had in a while here in Donegal, missed all the showers and thunderstorms all week and only had a bit of drizzle a few days ago.

Haven't seen the sun much of late though, always seems to be cloudy this time of year so we never get to fully enjoy the longest evenings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

First real wet day we've had in a while here in Donegal, missed all the showers and thunderstorms all week and only had a bit of drizzle a few days ago.

Haven't seen the sun much of late though, always seems to be cloudy this time of year so we never get to fully enjoy the longest evenings

Not too wet in the far North of the county.

It rained overnight, but its been grey and dry since 6am. Looks like it should be raining, but nothing.

Edit: its raining now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo wrote: »
    Will take a look at this morning's charts soon, I'd be all up for some dry weather in Meath next week, we badly need a break from the rain and wet ground at this stage.

Yeah you could be enjoying sunshine and warmth, while i'm stuck under the frontal zone with patchy rain and drizzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I've seen enough rain now in Enniscorthy, biblical rainfall the other night and it's been raining since lunchtime yesterday bar a brief interlude very early this morning. As I type the cloud is breaking up now so hopefully that's the end of it for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

It's interesting in the west we have been basically getting Dublin type weather with the fronts pushing westerly and having little or no affect by the time they reach us. North Clare has had cloudy type dry weather for the last few weeks with little or no rain.

Thankfully normal service will soon resume with the good of Atlantic fronts coming in from tomorrow. Happy to see rain alright, the ground needs it. Other the second part of the coming week is warm again with moisture in the soil, the grass will absolutely fly again. Compensatory growth will take care of things.

Yeah you could be enjoying sunshine and warmth, while i'm stuck under the frontal zone with patchy rain and drizzle.

next week really is looking like knifeedge stuff. UK looks like they are in for the best week of the year so far with temperatures in the mid to high 20's throughout next week. Ireland on the other hand will be in Autumn but a chance of summer towards the end of next week. This mornings charts at first glance don't look as good for Leinster as they did yesterday with the bands of rain getting across the country till about Wednesday and a big improvement after that. A shift westwards by only 100 miles would make a huge difference in our weather next week, we are so close to a very summery week next week but we are just that little bit too far west to gain much influence from that ridge. Really reminds me alot of last summer where Ireland just couldn't fully escape from the clutches of the Atlantic while the UK baked in record breaking temperatures through the middle part of last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

On Saturday, from late morning onwards: Spells of heavy rain with amounts of 25 to 35 mm and spot flooding. Reduced visibility and hazardous driving conditions.

Valid: 11:00 Saturday 20/06/2020 to 23:00 Saturday 20/06/2020

Issued: 12:00 Friday 19/06/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Always the weekends..

Wind warning issued also

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork and Kerry
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

On Saturday, in coastal areas and on exposed hills and mountains, southerly winds will reach mean speeds of 45 to 60 km/hr with gusts of 80 to 100 km/hr

Valid: 09:00 Saturday 20/06/2020 to 20:00 Saturday 20/06/2020

Issued: 13:00 Friday 19/06/2020

still raining here in Meath, it has been an awful day with rain now for almost 24 hours. It's cold and very wet and a temperature of only 13C and feels more like 10C. Easily the worst day of the month. Will check the Dunsany rainfall totals again on Monday and I suspect the totals will be high by that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry bright and breezy here in Castlebar and feeling pleasant at 18 degrees. Lots of lawnmowers on the go ahead of the next few days.

Dry bright and breezy here in Castlebar and feeling pleasant at 18 degrees. Lots of lawnmowers on the go ahead of the next few days.

I'm very envious! My poor garden is crying out to be cut, the grass has been very wet since Tuesday and I am now banking on milder temperatures and sunshine tomorrow during the afternoon to dry out the grass before the rain arrives. I'll be lucky to even get it cut tomorrow because the garden is now soaking heading towards saturated and I don't think a few hours of dryness tomorrow will dry it by then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Feels like summer is cancelled and my tomatoes with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement