Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rain has finally cleared here, almost 24 hours of continuous rainfall. I've had enough of unsettled easterlies, hopefully we do not see another wet easterly till next winter!

Now let's bring on that Azores ridge for next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yesterday was a grey out but today was much better here in Kerry getting up to 16.5C. Partial cloud much of the day with a breeze, did need to put a jacket on the coastline this morning and kept it over the arm on a walk in the afternoon due to a few threatening looking dark clouds but only producing a couple of drops from time to time, no rainfall recorded today. The face even feels a bit warm tonight after being out a few times during the day. Been not great for swimming though, last weekend the water was very cold and couldn't get myself to go out this week with temperatures not getting above 16.6C the last 4 days and getting particularly cool in the evenings, no great heat next week along Atlantic coasts either by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was a grey day in cork city, down in West cork now though and the grey skies are clearing and the sun and blue sky are appearing before the rain tomorrow. Beautiful evening, if a little cold with the breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nothing in the last 2 pages suggests anything like summer weather. It’s dull and damp here tonight. Very disappointing weekend weather wise ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Nothing in the last 2 pages suggests anything like summer weather. It’s dull and damp here tonight. Very disappointing weekend weather wise ahead.

Not so long ago people where moaning over the lack of rain.
    Still parts of the country with none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

I had to put heating on for an hour. Very depressing weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It turned out to be a nice evening yesterday. It's amazing what a bit of rain does, the grass has really come on in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Lovely summers afternoon and evening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭boetstark

Another crap summer in store. I know some will get all defensive but call a spade a spade. Look at forecast for Southern UK next week. That is June summer weather. Ah well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

boetstark wrote: »
    Another crap summer in store. I know some will get all defensive but call a spade a spade. Look at forecast for Southern UK next week. That is June summer weather. Ah well

We have a yellow rain warning and the joys of staying local. Stop moaning.

• Advertisement

Was a lovely evening yesterday in West cork, clear blue skies. Chilly though with the SW west.

Grey skies now this morning and wind has definitely picked up and the ocean sounds wilder today aswell. About 12°c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brightening skies in Waterford should be a decent morning at least before the veil of cloud moves in later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Finally sun here in Dublin. I've two washes of clothes out on line + going to get out and enjoy it before the rain comes later!

We have a yellow rain warning and the joys of staying local. Stop moaning.

Raining again here in Limerick and everyday for next 6 days according to ME

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nice to have summer back (in Dublin at least)! Sunny and 19.0c atm in Dublin 16.

Just back from a walk along the beach and cliff in West cork, wind is wild coming off the ocean. Grey skies and could see the rain in the distance that we will get later. Dark clouds to the west

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Managed to go for a jog in blue skies earlier here in Dublin. Now it's windy af and cloud coming soon. Looks like sh*te typical Irish weather for the next week anyway. It's the hope that kills you. The only hope I have now is that I can get on that plane to Spain on 4th July and hopefully stay down there for as long as I can!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Walnut Salad

We need rain and lots of it. The grass and soil is way too dry. The rivers and lakes are very low.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lovely day here in Meath, ground is starting to dry up too! Now if that band of rain holds off here till late this evening i'll be able to finally get the grass cut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gorgeous here in Arklow also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Much better day than I thought it would be today,sun trying to come out and it feels mild enough although the wind can be annoying at times

We need rain and lots of it. The grass and soil is way too dry. The rivers and lakes are very low.

I can never get my head around this. Ireland has one of the wettest temperate climates in the world. We get approx 3 or 4 weeks of uninterrupted dry weather and we have a drought. Soil is too dry, grass won't grow, hosepipe ban etc etc.
    How do farmers and general population get by in all the countries that have an actual summer every year.

Rain starting here in West cork now and wind picked up even more

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

boetstark wrote: »
    I can never get my head around this. Ireland has one of the wettest temperate climates in the world. We get approx 3 or 4 weeks of uninterrupted dry weather and we have a drought. Soil is too dry, grass won't grow, hosepipe ban etc etc.
    How do farmers and general population get by in all the countries that have an actual summer every year.

Well the West of Ireland and Midlands should get some over the next few days.
    UKMO giving rain across that region of Ireland while temps in around London are set to hit 30c by midweek and hopefully the SE of Ireland is on the right side to get the fine weather and warmth again but I won't hold my breath.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Gorgeous here in Arklow also

I suspect you stand a very good chance of seeing the warmest and dryest weather going forward over the next week. Arklow, coastal parts of Wicklow are well positioned to see spells of sunshine and temperatures possibly into the low 20's for much of next week as the uppers will be fairly warm from Monday to next Saturday. Winds should be southerly or ssw most of the time so cool onshore breeze's shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

So windy along coast in Dublin. Doesn't feel like June

19C here now in Meath and very strong sunshine, best day since last Monday.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    I suspect you stand a very good chance of seeing the warmest and dryest weather going forward over the next week. Arklow, coastal parts of Wicklow are well positioned to see spells of sunshine and temperatures possibly into the low 20's for much of next week as the uppers will be fairly warm from Monday to next Saturday. Winds should be southerly or ssw most of the time so cool onshore breeze's shouldn't be a problem.

We've a strong southerly breeze at the moment which locally means off the sea
    Hence the 16c but thats pleasant in the sun
    West,southwest and northwest in summer bring the warmest days here,the latter because of it's long land track

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement