Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

boetstark wrote: »
    I can never get my head around this. Ireland has one of the wettest temperate climates in the world. We get approx 3 or 4 weeks of uninterrupted dry weather and we have a drought. Soil is too dry, grass won't grow, hosepipe ban etc etc.
    How do farmers and general population get by in all the countries that have an actual summer every year.

Because they have proper water infrastructure. My parents live in the south of spain the greenhouse of Europe and you never hear of drought there but they have excellent irrigation systems and water management programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Interesting rain in West cork, it's spitting rain so the ground is still dry but it's hevay enough that youd get soaked walking in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Cold westerly wind in north Kildare.

More akin to late February than mid summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Good drying in the stiff breeze today.

If the GFS is to be believed it'll be unsettled overall for the rest of the month. However, as per some previous long range forecasts, there are signs the weather may settle down in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Because they have proper water infrastructure. My parents live in the south of spain the greenhouse of Europe and you never hear of drought there but they have excellent irrigation systems and water management programs.

Droughts are not the norm here, so it's probably not seen as cost effective by farmers here.
    If droughts were a regular ocurrence, the infrastructure would likely be put in place to do so.

• Advertisement

Droughts are not the norm here, so it's probably not seen as cost effective by farmers here.
    If droughts were a regular ocurrence, the infrastructure would likely be put in place to do so.

Why am I supposed to care about some farmers cows ffs. Stop moaning and conserve water.
    I wonder if it will become more of an issue with climate change.

Ok now the rain is pelting down

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after a very sunny and relatively warm first half of the day, it's clouding over now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Why am I supposed to care about some farmers cows ffs..
    I think we urbanites take too much for granted. We can walk into a local shop and have veggies, milk, meat etc laid out before us without even a second thought with regards to where they came from and how they are produced, and all this at low expense. They are things that are just there it seems. Not a farmer myself but my family was just one or two generations ago, as I am sure most people's are in this country, and what detached, entitled brats we have become in just that short span of time.

New Moon

Good drying in the stiff breeze today.

If the GFS is to be believed it'll be unsettled overall for the rest of the month. However, as per some previous long range forecasts, there are signs the weather may settle down in July.

Rain, or rather spits, has just started here but that wind is certainly of note.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Windy cool overcast dreadful for June.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I think we urbanites take too much for granted. We can walk into a local shop and have veggies, milk, meat etc laid out before us without even a second thought with regards to where they came from and how they are produced, and all this at low expense. They are things that are just there it seems. Not a farmer myself but my family was just one or two generations ago, as I am sure most people's are in this country, and what detached, entitled brats we have become in just that short span of time.

I don't eat beef or dairy and they're the only farmers who seem to go on about it as it's such a water intensive industry. You need a fraction of the water for veg. Even in good years we still have to import millions of tonnes of feed because we have so many cows and cant grow enough food for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

June 20th 3pm

Belmullet gusting 42 knots with rain.
    Newport 40 knots with rain.

Miserable evening ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I don't eat beef or dairy and they're the only farmers who seem to go on about it as it's such a water intensive industry. You need a fraction of the water for veg. Even in good years we still have to import millions of tonnes of feed because we have so many cows and cant grow enough food for them.

In Ireland if it's not a cow, it doesn't count! We have a mad unbalanced agri sector which is beholden to payments for the wrong things. I think the message is gradually getting though but the CAP and the issue of 39c per kilo of veg type offers by supermarkets needs to be addressed. We import more veg than ever and grow less than ever as the market has been squeezed out by prices and policies.

anyway the weather...! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

That particular poster has a vendetta against farmers,
    best ignore, and quite misinformed about a number of topics particularly from an environmental point of view. He actually advised anyone who didn't agree to ignore him if people didn't like his opinions, I took that advice and threads are easier to enjoy.

Waves are mental in West cork and a very high swell along with strong winds. Akin to weather you'd see in November and December and the heavy rain makes it very similar. Ridiculous carry on, hopefully the Atlantic dies off sooner rather then later and doesn't stick around like usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Farms use large quantities of water for animals just drinking. Every field needs water for grazing
    Then there's cleaning of milking equipment
    Cleaning of sheds.

Urban dwellers use huge amounts in toilets, washing cars etc

Most of our natural way to store water - bogs and marshes have been dug out or drained. Think of the bog of Allen in Kildare. Think of the huge volume of water that used to hold.
    So rainwater gets to the sea much quicker than 25 years ago.

Damming rivers and lakes to create reservoirs is not good for the environment either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice day in Letterkenny today, warm with plenty of sunshine. Clouding over now though and increasingly windy. Got the grass cut at least

endainoz wrote: »
    That particular poster has a vendetta against farmers

Against the environmental mistreatment and exploitation of our land to produce beef and dairy for other countries, that's all.
    But yes that's for another thread.

It has reverted to wind and grey in Dublin. Ugh.

We’ve had wind warnings in the winter for a lot less than what’s blowing out where now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

We had a brilliant time out in park + glad we got out so early as it got cloudy in afternoon.

Wind now is unbelievable! Came home to garden chairs blown half way down the garden! On plus side my washing is bone dry but very nasty clouds out there.

We were talking in park about having a barbecue this evening ha ha yea right not in this wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Was a nice enough morning in Cork, got a 3hr walk in, got the lawn mowed and a hedge cut.

Now its absolutely vile out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just finshed cutting the grass and the difference in weather during the 90mins was unreal, started off dry, sunny, and barely a breeze to wet, cloudy and very windy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

finally got the grass cut, thankfully the first half of today was warm and sunny and with a decent wind it was enough to get the grass mostly dry after all the rains of the past few days. Lawnmowers going like crazy today in this part of Meath, everyone scurrying to grab the slim window of opportunity with dry ground for grass cutting.

The rain has finally arrived here now, spits and spots at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It was a very nice day in Dublin 5. Also got the grass cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Here it comes roaring in from the West. Fierce and wild.
    Rain and windy just now Meath.

Just looking out the window it’s hard to imagine on mid summers eve any country in the world at the height of their summer with worse weather right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Any sign of summer coming back? This is mad depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

We’ve had wind warnings in the winter for a lot less than what’s blowing out where now.

Quite surprised by the strength of the wind here in Kildare also.

• Advertisement

Do you eat at all? :p

While we may have to import a lot of stuff, Irish farmers also export a lot as well, something like 70/80% of their overall produce I think.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement