Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Any sign of summer coming back? This is mad depressing

Eastern and southern areas may get some summer weather this week according to the GFS but maybe only for 1 or 2 days before a breakdown next Friday into Saturday with the Atlantic rolling back in.

GEM is looking more hopeful for some summer weather this week across Ireland, particularly on Thursday and Friday with all parts of the country enjoying some warm sunshine, the GEM delays next weekends unsettled possibilities and generally gives Ireland a warmer and dryer second half of next week.

This mornings ECM brings some low level warmth to Leinster this week followed by a breakdown on Friday and then reverts back to a warm outlook after next weekend. The ECM will roll out again in the next 90 minutes so will take a look at that again when it updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Hopefully Gonzo, absolutely rotten today here in West cork. A real winter's night.. but it's bright.

I had 270+ days of rain while I was in college running between buildings and then we had 2 weeks of sunny warm weather in may down here. Badly want some more since my holidays were cancelled! I know it affects farmers but we all have different needs and wants when it comes to weather wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Lashing rain here since 6pm. So dark + windy it could be a winters night for 4th night in a row.

So thankfully we got out to enjoy the nice weather earlier+ I got all that washing done!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Apart from a few drops started raining proper here near Tralee about 15.00, quite heavy for a time with 14.2mm in the AWS gauge, stopped now .

Windy but nothing of note.

Felt milder today getting up to 17C and currently 14.7C

Might see a bit of a clearance before dark.

nSwTse3.png?1

vc3YrQx.gif

NnBxgf4.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Do you eat at all? :p

While we may have to import a lot of stuff, Irish farmers also export a lot as well, something like 70/80% of their overall produce I think.

We export food to feed about 40 million people.

We are the 6th largest beef exporter and the 10th largest dairy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Danzy wrote: »
    We export food to feed about 40 million people.

We are the 6th largest beef exporter and the 10th largest dairy.

Summer 2020 - General Discussion.

Lads seriously can you not take this completely off topic point scoring to PMs?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Really nice evening here, lovely to hear the rain falling outside.

5.0mm has falling so far, good to be getting it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mod Note: This is the weather forum and not a farming one. Discussions relating to farming are off topic here but they can be discussed at length by visiting the farming forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=845

Wind died down but still a bit windy in West cork. Gusts earlier were very strong! Rain also died off but there's a small bit of a mist remaining and a bit foggy. Very dull.

a dark and wet evening here in Meath, rain steady enough but not as heavy as some of the rain last Wednesday to Friday. A big change from the blue skies earlier on today. Looks like several more hours of rain to go so most places will see about 10mm-20mm from this.

• Advertisement

We are at 52mm now for month at Dublin Airport and thats before this evenings rainfall is taking into account.

Very depressing for middle of summer.

I did say our spring was our summer but not everyone believed me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The summer is over talk again:D but i suppose today is miserable- you could easily think we are back in February given conditions outside.

However, I think the azores high might be paying us a visit towards the end of June or early July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

appledrop wrote: »
    We are at 52mm now for month at Dublin Airport and thats before this evenings rainfall is taking into account.

Very depressing for middle of summer.

I did say our spring was our summer but not everyone believed me!

Are you claiming victory now, not even 25% into the summer? It's amazing the moaning that goes on when we get a few bad days. Earlier today was lovely in your area, nice enogugh for you go to the park, get the washing done. This evening is bad. Tomorrow will be ok. it is what it is.There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Incredibly windy in Dublin now.

Are you claiming victory now, not even 25% into the summer? It's amazing the moaning that goes on when we get a few bad days. Earlier today was lovely in your area, nice enogugh for you go to the park, get the washing done. This evening is bad. Tomorrow will be ok. it is what it is.There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.

Relax its only a bit of banter. In fairness the last 4 nights have been winter weather + actually I don't know how there is not a wind weather warning in place as howling here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Heavy rain here now, a delight to watch but of note is that the sky, including low based cloud, has turned a very strange reddish colour. Eerie to say that least.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Very blustery here in Dublin 5. Have the back door open so we can listen to the wind blowing through trees, a bit gusty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

theballz wrote: »
    Incredibly windy in Dublin now.

Incredibly windy? I'll assume you mean it's causing substantial damage to structures if it's incredibly windy? Breezy about 40km west of Dublin city with the strongest gusts getting to force 6 or 7. The large gazebo in the garden is not liking the stronger gusts but then again it's not designed for anything more than a moderate breeze, maybe up to force 6 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,743 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah lads, that's a bit of wind. I live in West Cork on high ground. Rain an wind has cleared now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Water John wrote: »
    Ah lads, that's a bit of wind. I live in West Cork on high ground. Rain an wind has cleared now.

In North Kerry on a mountain. It was a breeze today not a wind :D

Lovely sunset earlier

20mm today.

• Advertisement

Clear skies coming now in West cork after rain since about 1pm, could get a lovely sunset. Still a bit of wind around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

appledrop wrote: »
    Relax its only a bit of banter. In fairness the last 4 nights have been winter weather + actually I don't know how there is not a wind weather warning in place as howling here now.

There is no wind warning because it's nowhere near windy enough. Dublin Airport gusting to 59 kph, mean 33. It's just a F5 Fresh Breeze in Beaufort speak.

highdef wrote: »
    Incredibly windy? I'll assume you mean it's causing substantial damage to structures if it's incredibly windy? Breezy about 40km west of Dublin city with the strongest gusts getting to force 6 or 7. The large gazebo in the garden is not liking the stronger gusts but then again it's not designed for anything more than a moderate breeze, maybe up to force 6 or so.

Oooookay ðŸ§

Very heavy wind in south dublin terenure area.

Could be a long night. Currently put the outdoor furniture away with great difficulty, windows closed to prevent doors banging.

Don’t remember anything like this for some time.

Stand by you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Mid summer or mid winter.
    All the rain..
    Meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

theballz wrote: »
    Very heavy wind in south dublin terenure area.

Could be a long night. Currently put the outdoor furniture away with great difficulty, windows closed to prevent doors banging.

Don’t remember anything like this for some time.

Stand by you guys

Its completely fine. A Force 8 gust over the open ground at Casement Aerodrome in the last hour, you're probably getting gusts of F5 or 6, the trees being in full leaf are just noisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

It was windy enough in Cork City to blow my garden furniture over. Wasn’t by any means extreme but a lot more like a bad winter’s night than summer solstice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Take a look at the Summer solstice rainfall of 1997. I passed my driving test that day in the absolute buckets of rain in Churchtown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

Rains cleared and barely a breeze out now, some very heavy rain since 11 o clock.
    Clear skies and 12c, mild out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement