Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

Lovely and calm now in East Clare, an awful afternoon and evening before that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was a wild night here on the west cork coast, very strong gusts hitting the house. Neighbours who are here all year have said that it was one of the strongest winds during the summer months they can remember! I was awoken quite a few times aswell!

Was also showery during the night but there are sunny spells atm along with the strong breeze which is chilly so cancelling out the sun's influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Nowhere is recency bias more apparent than in a weather thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

Was waiting for someone to say that the house was shaking with the wind. "Not felt this strong in a long long time"

If that was aimed at me, I think I would be fairly different then the city people atm since the ocean is exposed right next to my house atm versus my house in the city. I was only stating what my neighbours were saying who have lived next door permanently for their lives. I also clearly said during the *summer*, winter is a different ball game.

Apologises if it's illegal to talk about the weather experiences in a weather thread, but as people know I usually post the wind speeds and temps etc but cannot as we don't have the equipment down here.

• Advertisement

Back on topic, heavy showers here in West cork. Strong gusts but when the sun comes out in the clear spells it is mild and pleasent. Lovely day for a walk if you can dodge the showers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Back on topic, heavy showers here in West cork. Strong gusts but when the sun comes out in the clear spells it is mild and pleasent. Lovely day for a walk if you can dodge the showers!

So April/early October then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Torrential rain shower here now. A lot of very dark clouds here + still windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yesterday was not a remarkable day at all, no matter which wind perspective you look at for the synoptic stations - max gusts or mean speeds. The highest since column refers to summer months only (June to August). Cork stations tended to have the "longest" comparison back to though if you get me.

vskRlpU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Yesterday's winds in the west and southwest coasts didn't quite meet Yellow criteria (widespread gusts above 90 kph). The highest gusts reported were 89 kph at Belmullet, 87 at Sherkin and Roche's Point and 83 at Shannon. Here in the east the breeze sure was noisy with the leaves but not even gusts reached gale force (apart from 65 kph at Casement, barely gale force)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just watched RTE and BBC week outlook, I swear it's just as well I have a sunny disposition :mad:

If that was aimed at me, I think I would be fairly different then the city people atm since the ocean is exposed right next to my house atm versus my house in the city. I was only stating what my neighbours were saying who have lived next door permanently for their lives. I also clearly said during the *summer*, winter is a different ball game.

Apologises if it's illegal to talk about the weather experiences in a weather thread, but as people know I usually post the wind speeds and temps etc but cannot as we don't have the equipment down here.

It wasn't aimed at you but you did post the most recent example :)

Plenty of examples of it last week with the thunderstorms too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

drying out here in Meath after a fairly wet morning. Currently sunny and showers look a bit more isolated. Currently 17C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential showers in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

This x 1000!
    We're all guilty of it but you see on this forum a great illustration of how poor human memory is.
    And with our modern reliance on the "cloud" to do our remembering for us - tis only worse it's getting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lovely sunny afternoon now, showers look to be dying out across the country as pressure rises from the south. Should stay dry for the rest of today in most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Weekend turned out a lot better than I thought,grand day yesterday up to 5pm when the heavens opened.This morning was cool and showery but this evening is lovely and sunny even if it is a breezy,some drying though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful day here in Kerry, cloud cleared by midday , fresh breeze but felt warm enough to be out short sleeves getting up to 17.3C.

Pic Slea Head , Dingle early afternoon.

ROkfdb9.jpg?1

Back home in the city now from West cork. The seas were wild! Night and day difference with regard to the wind though, little to no breeze in the city but strong gusts at the coast. Expected though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Beautiful day here in Kerry, cloud cleared by midday , fresh breeze but felt warm enough to be out short sleeves getting up to 17.3C.

Pic Slea Head , Dingle early afternoon.

ROkfdb9.jpg?1
    I probably passed you on the road. Got cold about 630 while waiting for our fish and chips from Sheehys van:)

Lovely day on the peninsula though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

Cant post pictures as only new, but a lovely night out in the Dublin mountains. Weather app says 12°c with 11° real feel. It definitely feels alot older. Closer to 5 or 6 I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays Max. Nowhere managed to break 20 degrees

Phoenix park 19.7 degrees
    Dublin Airport 18.7
    Casement 18.4
    Oak Park 17.9

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I probably passed you on the road. Got cold about 630 while waiting for our fish and chips from Sheehys van:)

Lovely day on the peninsula though.

Saw the queue there earlier all right , we were thinking there would be a bit of a wait. :)

Great day with a fine green hue on the mountains no doubt benefiting from the recent rain, wild flowers also much in abundance and passed a fine flow of water coming out of Peddlers lake coming down the Connor Pass .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lovely day in Letterkenny as well after the showers cleared up after midday. Nice clear evening as well and the northern sky is still plenty bright past midnight

Putrid morning in Cork, June has been such a let down.

Neddyusa wrote: »
    This x 1000!
    We're all guilty of it but you see on this forum a great illustration of how poor human memory is.
    And with our modern reliance on the "cloud" to do our remembering for us - tis only worse it's getting.

Exactly. When it comes to the weather, people can't see past or before the weather they are experiencing at that moment.

'God the weather has been shocking, hasn't it?'

'No actually, we've just emerged from a 3 month period of exceptionally good weather which caused a nationwide drought'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Exactly. When it comes to the weather, people can't see past or before the weather they are experiencing at that moment.

'God the weather has been shocking, hasn't it?'

'No actually, we've just emerged from a 3 month period of exceptionally good weather which caused a nationwide drought'

It works the other way too. I have friends who think it was over 30c in Dublin in 2018 because it hit those heights in Shannon etc. Or people telling me last summer was nice when it was terrible
    One thing we can say for sure is summer 2020 has been pretty bad so far, if you like sunshine, at least in Dublin.

It works the other way too. I have friends who think it was over 30c in Dublin in 2018 because it hit those heights in Shannon etc. Or people telling me last summer was nice when it was terrible
    One thing we can say for sure is summer 2020 has been pretty bad so far, if you like sunshine, at least in Dublin.

True. I find when we get a good dry spell in winter without much rain and then we get one bad day, you hear people saying that the weather has been awful or it hasn't stopped raining in months. I think when it comes to the weather lots of people just parrot cliches and don't actually think too much about what they are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Raining here this morning.

Spring was amazing, the best one I ever remember.

However summer so far, yes I know only June but it has been a let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Is it supposed to dry up on the east coast today? It's horrible here in North Wexford at the moment and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it might dry up as the day goes on.

Also trying to plan a small outdoor party for Friday? How likely are the thunderstorms for this part of the world?

Summer in Ireland!! You can't beat it!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement