Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

What is with the strong winds again!

Can't see it clearing up much still very dark clouds here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes it must be one of the windiest years ever even though dry.

It's either breezy windy or galey most days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes it must be one of the windiest years ever even though dry.

It's either breezy windy or galey most days

Yes and winter was like one storm after another with the wind. I think it's my least favourite of all the elements!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Top 2 highest and and lowest mean maxima at the reporting Met Éireann stations for the first 3 weeks of this June so far.

aRV59qA.png

Broadly speaking, max temps are running about 1.5c higher than for the same period in June (1st-21st) last year.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a cloudy day in Meath, if only it was sunny temperatures today would be fairly decent with warm uppers developing. Current temperature 17C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rotten day in Cork City. Raining and about 16 degrees. Stopped drizzling for about an hour around 11-12 but started up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Windy and Mild in Kildare. A few glimpses of sun earlier. 18°c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Jaysus.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Turned into a nice sunny day here in Donegal again after the rain cleared early this morning. Considering the forecast late last week we've done really well, Saturday was warm and sunny until around 5pm, yesterday was sunny all day and another nice enough day today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Must be a change in wind direction as winds are very light in my village today. They were very strong yesterday. Wind direction makes a massive to difference to wind strength in my locality. A west or south west breeze can be like a Gale for me due to the way the wind is funneled. Give me a North or south breeze and it's virtually calm in the village.

I'm sheltered from any wind direction that does not contain the word west in its name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

All I can say lads is that it’s breezy overcast and wet here most of the morning. It’s october plus about 7 degrees and foliage. There’s nothing nice about this weather in this location today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Barely a drop of rain in South Dublin since breakfast. Very windy, but also plenty of blue skies, sunshine, and lots of heat. This is the kind of day that people write off in retrospect as not giving a 'summer' feeling, but is a completely fine day to be outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

All I can say lads is that it’s breezy overcast and wet here most of the morning. It’s october plus about 7 degrees and foliage. There’s nothing nice about this weather in this location today.

October plus 7 degrees would be about 20 celcius :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Top 2 highest and and lowest mean maxima at the reporting Met Éireann stations for the first 3 weeks of this June so far.

aRV59qA.png

Broadly speaking, max temps are running about 1.5c higher than for the same period in June (1st-21st) last year.

I think people need to take a long hard look at this graphic when discussing their exceptions of an Irish summer.

The average temp for June (while probably closer to 18 in parts of the country) is only 16.8 degrees!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

MJohnston wrote: »
    Barely a drop of rain in South Dublin since breakfast. Very windy, but also plenty of blue skies, sunshine, and lots of heat.

Ditto in Dublin 16. Feeling warm. 20.7c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

MJohnston wrote: »
    Barely a drop of rain in South Dublin since breakfast. Very windy, but also plenty of blue skies, sunshine, and lots of heat. This is the kind of day that people write off in retrospect as not giving a 'summer' feeling, but is a completely fine day to be outdoors.

sun has barely come out in D5 anyway. Days like this are grand, I just went for a 6k jog around the park and it's warm and nice enough. It still feels nothing like summer to me though, that's where the disappointment is. And yes I know I'm always going to be in for a lot of disappointment like this living in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very cloudy and breezy here in Meath, not a hint of sunshine here at all today. It is feeling fairly warm given the uppers, however the cloud, wind and spots of drizzle are holding our temperatures back by several degrees. Currently 19C, would have easily got into the low twenties if we had blue skies and lighter winds.

The band of rain over the west doesn't look like it will make much progress into the country, it is currently sliding up the north-west coast having missed the south-west coast.

Still heavy drizzle here in cork city. Temperature unchanged at around 16 degrees. Didn't expect this tbh, or else I just read the forecast wrong which is what most likely happened

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

compsys wrote: »
    I think people need to take a long hard look at this graphic when discussing their exceptions of an Irish summer.

The average temp for June (while probably closer to 18 in parts of the country) is only 16.8 degrees!!

Here is a quick chart showing the frequency of max temps in Mullingar for the month of June since 1974, a station, given its location, that you would expect to see some of the warmest temps in Ireland during the summer months.

IwHVn8o.png

Temps of between 15-17c are the most frequently occurring, while temps between 17-19c are the 2nd most commonly achieved during the month. Long term average for the station is 17.6c, while the most commonly recorded daily high temp (mode) is 16.8c.

--C/O Met Éireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The weather in Dublin has been nice the past few days. There was a random very windy spell on Saturday evening / night but other than that it’s been very pleasant the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I love how people call this things like "October Weather" or whatever month of autumn/winter/spring you choose.

It's not like we live in Southern Europe, rain comes every month. Quick look on Wikipedia, Dublin Airport (driest station in Ireland) has on average 10-12 rainy days (>1mm) every month of the year. June, July and August included.

It's not like October at all, it's like a wet June day. Warm, humid and not nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Worst day in Cork since Saturday :D

Worst day in Cork since Saturday :D

Awful recency bias here! Disgraceful!!!!! >:(

/s :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Still heavy drizzle here in cork city. Temperature unchanged at around 16 degrees. Didn't expect this tbh, or else I just read the forecast wrong which is what most likely happened

The radar is useless for this kind of weather, has shown no rain here for most of the day. It's pure guesswork at this stage when it might dry up as the weather apps / Met Eireann hourly forecast isn't showing rain either :rolleyes:

poor enough afternoon here in Meath but at least it's mild. Drizzly misty muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

aRV59qA.png

Early June was quite warm so would skew things a bit. It hasn't felt anything like 18 degrees this last week. I don't live too far from Oak Park and I have had the fire on several nights this month. I even lit it this morning!

It has been mostly cool and grey this past 10 days, not the light cloud that blows away from time to time during the day to show a bit of blue sky but a leaden drizzling grey bearing down all day long. My SAD is back with a vengeance despite the sunny April and May. The 6 months of near solid rain from mid-August 2019 to mid March 2020 were awful. The last week of March, all April and May were great but don't make up for most of this year being wet and grey. June is nearly over and July might be better but might now. August is normally a washout and then we're into the winter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Big Thunderstorm near Collooney

Must be a few mm from this.

Couldn't see road with wipers on full blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Turned into a nice sunny day here in Donegal again after the rain cleared early this morning. Considering the forecast late last week we've done really well, Saturday was warm and sunny until around 5pm, yesterday was sunny all day and another nice enough day today

Spoke too soon, turned into a miserable afternoon with persistent heavy rain :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Spoke too soon, turned into a miserable afternoon with persistent heavy rain :)

If you get half a decent day in Donegal you are doing well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement