Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Dirty evening here overcast wet and windy. A very June day apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cloudy and wet with persistent rain here in Castlebar. Rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Another lovely day in the south east, record high of 14.9.Heating on again.And 8.9mm of rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wet and very windy. Rain.......
    Leitrim

God is there no end to this wind lately? Grant it today is a lovely warm wind but its a killer for all my plants in full leave and full bloom, much heavier than in winter ....so getting a lot of damage. Wind please stop!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very windy in Kildare now. Some decent gusts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭pauldry

15mm of rain so far today in Sligo

The drought is wearing thin finally

90 days of rain now to come then probably dry in late September

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Drizzling all day in cork city, not showing on the radar. About 2/3 hours of no drizzle only. Rotten day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Windy but lovely day in South Dublin. No rain since this morning, plenty of blue skies, and the wind isn't that bothersome because the air is so warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Drizzling all day in cork city, not showing on the radar. About 2/3 hours of no drizzle only. Rotten day

Probably the worst day overall in Cork since winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

MJohnston wrote: »
    Windy but lovely day in South Dublin. No rain since this morning, plenty of blue skies, and the wind isn't that bothersome because the air is so warm.

We are in North Couty Dublin + we never saw those blue skies today.

Wtf is with the wind? I'm absolutely sick if it. I know people saying no records broken but I've never seen the like of it. Could it be due to direction its blowing from that makes it so disruptive?We tried to have dinner outside while wrapped to try and pretend its summer h but had to give up when everything kept blowing off the table. A joke for summer. Loads of my plants unlikely to recover now due to constant battering by wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭adocholiday

It's mad seeing the posts saying the weather in South Dublin was warm with sunshine. Only a short spin down the coast here in Wicklow it rained on and off all day and I even put the heat on for an hour earlier! Really fed up of this muck now and no real end in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah horrible in D5, really really windy and very low cloud for much of the day. At least I don't need the heat on.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Awful weather. Windy, damp miserable day. Summer looking goosed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a horrible gusty evening outside and starting to feel quite chilly, spits and spots of rain in the wind all day.

Looks to be alot of rain to come over the next 24 to 36 hours from a trailing band of rain in the west which will very slowly edge into the midlands and Leinster as it moves northwards throughout tonight and into tomorrow. 30 to 40mm of rain can be expected in places from this between now and Wednesday morning.

hirlamuk-25-48-0.png?22-18

GFSOPUK12_48_18.png

ECMWF_042_GB_APC_fr-FR_fr.png

Spells of rain through most of the country over the next 24 hours with the south-east staying the dryest but rain is possible everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Looks like some sort of squall feature has developed over the north midlands and Ulster.

tqZscug.png

Certainly nothing of that calibre passed over here anyway given that barely even a rain rate was registered today.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Cant believe England gets a heatwave :(

What id give for consistent summers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very wet today in West Clare, with tomorrow looking similar.

Managed to get a walk in today during the afternoon temporary rain hiatus, however I still got soaked (in sweat!) thanks to the warm and very humid air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,743 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Silage to mow. Didn't go last week as thunder and lightning, unreliable weather. This week was to be better from mid week. Watching to mow Thurs and bale Fri/Sat. Will be watching weather very closely. All I need is a window of 36 hours.
    Like to mow it dry. Not bad if it gets a shower afterwards. Also mow in the afternoon sun as the sugar used to preserve the grass is then high.
    Now you see the minor weather requirements of a farmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭pauldry

The heaviest rain I've seen this Summer happened at 5pm near Ballymote. Lasted about half an hour at most but fairly soaked the place as the land quickly drank it up.

• Advertisement

Had to abandon morning run heavy rain overcast and miserable. Went out twice yesterday and got soaked both times. Not worth a third drenching. It’s incredibly frustrating. 23rd June......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I see our weather shield is in place again.. damp, murky and muggy while Britain is again about to bake..

Once this pattern of weather sits in, I don't think it ever leaves us. It'll be September before we know it with July and August gone by in a grey blur.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

There are tentative signs of an improvement from around the first weekend of July onwards, according to some of the model runs, with high pressure building from the south west, I would say don't lose hope just yet, we've had 3 weeks of rain which we badly needed for the land and to replenish water supplies, we can't really complain after the cracking weather we had in April and May which felt more like summer months than spring

Had to abandon morning run heavy rain overcast and miserable. Went out twice yesterday and got soaked both times. Not worth a third drenching. It’s incredibly frustrating. 23rd June......

Running in summer rain must be one of my favourite things in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭boetstark

I feel everybody's frustration. Ireland has a really ****ty climate. Anything like good weather is a bonus and should only be regarded as that. We knew when we moved here that sunshine was a rare occurrence.
    I think summer 2020 is going to be crap which is normal. No point bitching too much.

Running in summer wind and rain is not very pleasant however. And running on a beautiful bright sunny morning is far more preferable.

Running in summer wind and rain is not very pleasant however. And running on a beautiful bright sunny morning is far more preferable.

*in your opinion.

I love running in the rain when it's warm. Yesterday morning was one of my most enjoyable runs in a long time. Lovely warm, misty rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

At least the stalling front over the midlands will satisfy the last of the rain starved agriculturalists. Meanwhile the first murmurs of 'no chance to cut the silage' are heard left of stage.

*in your opinion.

Yesterday morning was very windy in these parts and not very enjoyable at all. There was 2 weeks or so at the end of May where it was bliss every morning running in blue skies morning sun and gentle breeze.

It’s a horrible morning out there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭giveitholly

There are tentative signs of an improvement from around the first weekend of July onwards, according to some of the model runs, with high pressure building from the south west, I would say don't lose hope just yet, we've had 3 weeks of rain which we badly needed for the land and to replenish water supplies, we can't really complain after the cracking weather we had in April and May which felt more like summer months than spring

Who ever gave the forecast this morning at 7.55 on radio 1 hinted at the early days of next week settling down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement