Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

*in your opinion.

Yesterday morning was very windy in these parts and not very enjoyable at all. There was 2 weeks or so at the end of May where it was bliss every morning running in blue skies morning sun and gentle breeze.

It’s a horrible morning out there again.

Of course. That's why I said 'my' favourite thing. Yours was more a statement of fact, when I'm sure there are people who enjoy running in the rain like me. Sure we'll agree to disagree, and fingers crossed the weather picks up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

miserable morning here in Meath, cool and very wet. Could be several more hours of rain today in many places from this trailing band of muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another beautiful summers day.... anywhere but Ireland.

Dreary, rainy, misty, horrible as usual here!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Who ever gave the forecast this morning at 7.55 on radio 1 hinted at the early days of next week settling down

Its looking like wel have more unsettled weather over the next few days and into early next week but fingers crossed after that we might get a dry settled period for a while

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Thursday and Friday look like the best day's of this week with low to mid twenties in most places before cooler air takes over from Friday afternoon. Tomorrow looks reasonably dry once the current trailing band of rain clears the country later tonight.

Ireland is once again getting the rough end of the stick much like last summer, not because we're unlucky, but because of our unique position out on the edge of the Atlantic. In some ways we are even lucky to be getting warm weather on Thursday and into Friday as azores ridges rarely deliver here when the Atlantic is also trying to get going at the same time, unless there is a very strong ridge in place.

What is happening now is what happens most of the time during these set ups, the azores high tries to push north wards over us but the Atlantic lows stops it and the ridge is squeezed and rises up through southern England instead leaving Ireland on the cool and unsettled side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Woke up and.... its still drizzling away in Cork City. Two days now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Calm in Kildare now. Heavy drizzle. 8mm

The band of rain that is currently straddled across the country is light and patchy at the moment but looks like it's going to enhance later today and bring another decent fall of rain to many areas.

3pm today:

hirlamuk-1-14-0.png?23-05

2am tonight:
    hirlamuk-1-25-0.png?23-05

7am tomorrow:
    hirlamuk-1-29-0.png?23-05

Midland areas in particular could see another 10 to 20mm of rain over the next 24 hours if the model is correct before finally clearing tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Grand n sunny in Sligo again

Yesterdays downpours bring June up to 46mm

Nothing overnight or today but phone says rain at 4pm and it seems to be 90 per cent accurate with its forecasts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Woke up and.... its still drizzling away in Cork City. Two days now. :(

Only two??? Eight days in Kildare and counting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It will be dull for the rest of the day for most. Maybe some sunshine in to eastern/southeastern coastal counties for a time this evening though.

today has to be up there with one of the worst days of the year so far here in Meath. Constant mist, drizzle, light rain and the odd heavier burst, place is soaking. Heating will be switched on in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

People got angry with me when I said the first few days of june could well be the last of our nice weather till next year. June is now wrote off. July was supposed to be nice but now could be pushed back till August.

It could very well stay like this for 6 months. It's a pity we were locked up for almost 3 glorious months with kids off school. I'd usually head to Spain for my guaranteed sunshine but that was cancelled on me last month. Really is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Such a gloomy June. Does our weather fall of a cliff come summer? Because it seems so bright and then summer comes and then, it's this perpetual greyness? I'd say Dublin has one of the nicer northern European climates(I'm including the geography of the city as well) throughout the winter but just so depressing.

Such a gloomy June. Does our weather fall of a cliff come summer? Because it seems so bright and then summer comes and then, it's this perpetual greyness? I'd say Dublin has one of the nicer northern European climates(I'm including the geography of the city as well) throughout the winter but just so depressing.

I dont think our summers are as bad as people think. In the last decade we've had some decent summers including 3 scorchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

Is this Summer 2008 2:0 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is the drought over yet so that we can all unite once again in praying for a few weeks of sun during the last 9 weeks of summer?

with high pressure or ridges basically covering most european countries except this one the lows have nowhere else to go and have become more or less stalled and trailing over Ireland into the far west of Scotland. Unfortunately this can happen regularly in our summers where Ireland narrowly misses a spell of sunny, dry and very warm weather by as little as 100 to 200km. Dublin must have one of the mildest winter climates and coolest summer climates in all of northern Europe capital cities. Every few summers we do get lucky tho such as 1995, 2006, 2013 and 2018 and join the rest of our European neighbours with a few warm and dry weeks.

There is still the chance mid July or August may settle down and offer a hint of summer, plus this Thursday and Friday will have some nice warm air as a break from all this unsettled weather.

Gonzo wrote: »
    with high pressure or ridges basically covering most european countries except this one the lows have nowhere else to go and have become more or less stalled and trailing over Ireland into the far west of Scotland. Unfortunately this can happen regularly in our summers where Ireland narrowly misses a spell of sunny, dry and very warm weather by as little as 100 to 200km. Dublin must have one of the mildest winter climates and coolest summer climates in all of northern Europe capital cities. Every few summers we do get lucky tho such as 1995, 2006, 2013 and 2018 and join the rest of our European neighbours with a few warm and dry weeks.

There is still the chance mid July or August may settle down and offer a hint of summer, plus this Thursday and Friday will have some nice warm air as a break from all this unsettled weather.

Will this warm air be warm, dull and damp or can we expect some sunshine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Depressing.
    Roll on tomorrow and Thursday for some daylight.
    Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

US2 wrote: »
    People got angry with me when I said the first few days of june could well be the last of our nice weather till next year. June is now wrote off. July was supposed to be nice but now could be pushed back till August.

It could very well stay like this for 6 months. It's a pity we were locked up for almost 3 glorious months with kids off school. I'd usually head to Spain for my guaranteed sunshine but that was cancelled on me last month. Really is depressing.

Locked up?
    We were outside every day here for 2 months
    Even got sunburn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I agree the poor summers in Ireland are greatly exaggerated. You would swear the way people go on it is just a washout every summer. Maybe we are fortunate in Dublin / East that the weather tends to be much better than the west, north west and south west but I dont think our summers are anywhere as bad as people claim. you should try living in Scotland ! Non stop rain over there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I agree the poor summers in Ireland are greatly exaggerated. You would swear the way people go on it is just a washout every summer. Maybe we are fortunate in Dublin / East that the weather tends to be much better than the west, north west and south west but I dont think our summers are anywhere as bad as people claim. you should try living in Scotland ! Non stop rain over there

It's not summer weather like we see them having in England all the time so I think it is just incredibly frustrating to some people who love the sun. My friends are in park now in London drinking cider and it's 30c or something. So close but so far away...
    Just let us have our whinges, it gets me down, dull weather at this time of year, but I still try and make the most of it.

These incredible London summers are a myth. The get better summers than us, no doubt about it but if you think they get constant sunshine and warm you are very mistaken. I have lived there and they get a lot of rain. While they get a few days of 30 degrees each summer, quite frequently the temps are high teens to low 20s. It has been raining for much of the last few weeks in London, they are getting good weather this week but during the last warm spell in Ireland, the weather was actually colder in london.

I never dispute that London gets better weather but people who think their summers are fantastic are mislead. The weather in Continental Europe is way better than London.
    It's not summer weather like we see them having in England all the time so I think it is just incredibly frustrating to some people who love the sun. My friends are in park now in London drinking cider and it's 30c or something. So close but so far away...
    Just let us have our whinges, it gets me down, dull weather at this time of year, but I still try and make the most of it.

US2 wrote: »
    Will this warm air be warm, dull and damp or can we expect some sunshine?

fingers crossed we will get some decent spells of sunshine Thursday and Friday, however there will be the threat of some thunderstorms as well later on Thursday and perhaps early on Friday so it's not guaranteed to stay dry. Temperatures expected to climb to 23 or 24C on Thursday.

These incredible London summers are a myth. The get better summers than us, no doubt about it but if you think they get constant sunshine and warm you are very mistaken. I have lived there and they get a lot of rain. While they get a few days of 30 degrees each summer, quite frequently the temps are high teens to low 20s. It has been raining for much of the last few weeks in London, they are getting good weather this week but during the last warm spell in Ireland, the weather was actually colder in london.

I never dispute that London gets better weather but people who think their summers are fantastic are mislead. The weather in Continental Europe is way better than London.

My experiences there from 2010 - 2014 were plenty of weather like we have in Irish summers but you still get lovely spells throughout July August and September no matter what, even in what's considered a bad summer. You still get loads of weekends where it's 25c+ and sunny. A rarity in Ireland. So I think it's far better than here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

My experiences there from 2010 - 2014 were plenty of weather like we have in Irish summers but you still get lovely spells throughout July August and September no matter what, even in what's considered a bad summer. You still get loads of weekends where it's 25c+ and sunny. A rarity in Ireland. So I think it's far better than here.

Look you’ve people here telling us yesterday and today are fine so I suppose it’s all down to personal preference. I agree completely with you on London’s weather it’s oodles better than Dublin’s in my opinion.

We have to also remember that August just doesn't happen in Ireland, summer wise, so that's another annoyance.

I already said the weather is better than here. However having been over to wimbledon a number of times and seen countless days with rain delays and play cancelled, summer is a very mixed bag over there too ! I think the difference is during actual heatwaves they tend to do much better than us in Ireland. For me the problem even over there is the weather is way too unpredictable and inconsistent.

In my opinion if you want to move somewhere for nicer weather and reliable warm weather you draw a line from Paris and South.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

We have to also remember that August just doesn't happen in Ireland, summer wise, so that's another annoyance.

Yes, even in summer 2018, August was a write-off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement