Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Damian F wrote: »
    Yes, even in summer 2018, August was a write-off

We've had a long spell of poor Augusts, unbroken for 17 years I think, however there is a chance that this August could be on the dryer side. Long term models don't look too bad for this August. July and August may yet save this summer. This has been a relatively poor June but I've definitely seen worse! and June is rarely an indication of how the rest of summer plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Locked up?
    We were outside every day here for 2 months
    Even got sunburn

I worked throughout but couldnt take my kids anywhere on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Gonzo wrote: »
    We've had a long spell of poor Augusts, unbroken for 17 years I think, however there is a chance that this August could be on the dryer side. Long term models don't look too bad for this August. July and August may yet save this summer. This has been a relatively poor June but I've definitely seen worse! and June is rarely an indication of how the rest of summer plays out.

After the driest and sunniest spring on record in parts of the country what were we expecting?

We need to be realistic. Weeks and weeks of warm temps and unbroken sun simply don't happen in Ireland.

Hopefully June and early July are the 'payback' for the record breaking spring and we get some half-decent weather in late July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Finally somebody talking sense. 3 months of consecutive fantastic weather with hardly a drop of rain and temps up to 27 degrees and people moaning about 2 weeks of cloudier weather. You couldnt make it up! July and August are the warmest months of the year, let's see how they pan out before we judge summer 2020. We have had arguably our nicest spring on record already.

compsys wrote: »
    After the driest and sunniest spring on record in parts of the country what were we expecting?

We need to be realistic. Weeks and weeks of warm temps and unbroken sun simply don't happen in Ireland.

Hopefully June and early July are the 'payback' for the record breaking spring and we get some half-decent weather in late July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Finally somebody talking sense. 3 months of consecutive fantastic weather with hardly a drop of rain and temps up to 27 degrees and people moaning about 2 weeks of cloudier weather. You couldnt make it up! July and August are the warmest months of the year, let's see how they pan out before we judge summer 2020. We have had arguably our nicest spring on record already.

Is August warmer than June in Ireland? It just always seems to be not a great month but maybe it's just warmer while it's cloudy and rainy.
    The good thing about being at home this whole time is at least any time the sun has come out or there's a decent bit of weather I can make the most of it.
    All those mornings spent jogging in St Anne's with blue skies were a great time to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I was hoping the few nice weeks in spring for the payback for the the huge amount of rainfall from August until February of this year
    If only there were some kind of systems that could capture and hold all that rainfall for farmers to sustain them through “droughts “ in spring in Ireland

It's not summer weather like we see them having in England all the time so I think it is just incredibly frustrating to some people who love the sun. My friends are in park now in London drinking cider and it's 30c or something. So close but so far away...
    Just let us have our whinges, it gets me down, dull weather at this time of year, but I still try and make the most of it.

I say this every year.

London is about 500km away from Dublin. Even further from Galway. It's not that close in weather terms.

I think we're so intertwined and obsessed with British culture (sport, TV, music, politics) that we automatically somehow think that 'their weather' should apply to us as well and then get jealous/upset/hard done by when we don't get the same weather as them.

The distance between London and Dublin is about the same as San Fran to Las Vegas, Bergen to Oslo, or Paris to Southampton. All those cities have vastly different climates.

This happens every year so it shouldn't be a surprise to see London bask in the sun for a few weeks while we're in the rain.

Also, the heatwave conditions we often hear about in the media are very much confined to the south east of England. Scotland, NI, Wales and Northern England where around half the entire population lives has a similar climate to Ireland if it's an consolation.

Is August warmer than June in Ireland? It just always seems to be not a great month but maybe it's just warmer while it's cloudy and rainy.
    The good thing about being at home this whole time is at least any time the sun has come out or there's a decent bit of weather I can make the most of it.
    All those mornings spent jogging in St Anne's with blue skies were a great time to be alive.

July and August are the warmest months in Ireland with average max temps of about 19 or 20 degrees inland.

Average temp in June is only about 17 degrees.

However our bodies adapt to the heat so 17 degrees in June each day after 15 or so in May might sometimes feel 'warmer' than 19 or 20 in August depending on how warm July was if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Not looking good for the bonfire !

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

Problem is that dryness in April and May is the worst possible weather for agriculture. Also temps reached 26 about 5 times at the end of May. This was lovely. There was also 3 or 4 heavy frosts in mid May. Thats not ideal either. But it's par for the course here. Everybody likes a bit of summer sunshine far better that chilly April or cool May sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I already said the weather is better than here. However having been over to wimbledon a number of times and seen countless days with rain delays and play cancelled, summer is a very mixed bag over there too ! I think the difference is during actual heatwaves they tend to do much better than us in Ireland. For me the problem even over there is the weather is way too unpredictable and inconsistent.

In my opinion if you want to move somewhere for nicer weather and reliable warm weather you draw a line from Paris and South.

You have an odd obsession with defending Dublin's climate and dismissing London's, this same conversation seems to play out on here every few months..

That said of fully agree the moaning is insufferable at the moment, if we hadn't just experienced one of the driest and sunniest springs on record I'd probably be joining in with it but a couple of weeks of dull wet weather is hardly the end of the world after such a consistently great few months

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lashing in West Clare. Completely windless too, anemometer has no movement whatsoever.

Strange that Shannon has 10kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

We had non-stop rain from August 2019 until mid-March 2020. That's 9 months of solid rain and cloud and 2 sunny but not always warm. We more than earned our few weeks of nice weather. As I said before, my SAD is really kicking in after 2 weeks without proper daylight. In June!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Chronic day again in Cork. Dull, grey and a horrible heavy drizzle consistently falling. Was meant to be going to Northern Italy on Saturday to lovely 30 degree weather but that's gone obviously. Booked a house in West Cork in July for a week but fully expecting wet and grey weather. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

July is a warm month

August has warm temperatures but it's mainly wet warmth. In fact August is probably our monsoon season

Emme wrote: »
    We had non-stop rain from August 2019 until mid-March 2020. That's 9 months of solid rain and cloud and 2 sunny but not always warm. We more than earned our few weeks of nice weather. As I said before, my SAD is really kicking in after 2 weeks without proper daylight. In June!

Non stop rain is a bit of an exaggeration. Most of those months were Winter anyway and the Irish winter is wet grey damp and chilly, rather than bright, sunny frosty and crisp..... this is a pity but we really should be used to it by now.

.....and the "few weeks" of nice weather was actually 3 long months! Certainly on the East coast it was. No rain from early March and the most fantastic Spring I ever remember having!! God if we had Covid lockdown and 3 months of rain we really would have had something to whinge about :rolleyes:

I too suffer from SAD but after the last 3 months I must have built up good Vitamin D levels because I'm still enjoying my garden and my walks in the fresher air, delighted to see things getting greener and its definitely easier to head to work when its not blue skies and sun at 6am.

Of course I hope we get some more good weather but I'm just so thankful for what we had during the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Well I think we can write this summer off. I have seen it all to often.... A good April and May followed by a miserable June, leading to a terrible July and August. I remember summers following this pattern in the 80s and early 90s. The low dark cloud never lifted for weeks over Donegal Bay. We didn't see the Sligo mountains across the sea for weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Chronic day again in Cork. Dull, grey and a horrible heavy drizzle consistently falling. Was meant to be going to Northern Italy on Saturday to lovely 30 degree weather but that's gone obviously. Booked a house in West Cork in July for a week but fully expecting wet and grey weather. :(

Won't be any bonnas tonight :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

No rain in Arklow all day but cloudy mostly
    Sunny end to the day and currently 17c at 8pm

Emme wrote: »

I think your SAD might be affecting your judgement.

We didn’t have nine months of non stop rain. And spring consisted of about 10 weeks of sun and little rain. Not two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think your SAD might be affecting your judgement.

We didn’t have nine months of non stop rain. And spring consisted of about 10 weeks of sun and little rain. Not two.

It was the windiest wettest spell of weather I can remember, with the odd respite, but yes to me it seemed to start in August and go on till March.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The amount of moaning and exaggeration going on in this thread is amazing. There's enough in here for a psychology thesis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The amount of moaning and exaggeration going on in this thread is amazing. There's enough in here for a psychology thesis.

I can see why alot of people are upset with the weather right now. We had a fantastic Spring which was very welcome, however many people could not go outside or leave their homes to enjoy it.

Many also go away to Spain or Greece for a few weeks of hot sunshine but with everything that's been going on most will now be staying in Ireland till summer 2021.

The timing of this unsettled pattern has also lined up with the removing of strict travel restrictions.

The next few days should hopefully be an improvement over the past 2 days. It will certainly be warmer and hopefully more in the way of sunshine.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I can see why alot of people are upset with the weather right now. We had a fantastic Spring which was very welcome, however many people could not go outside or leave their homes to enjoy it.

Many also go away to Spain or Greece for a few weeks of hot sunshine but with everything that's been going on most will now be staying in Ireland till summer 2021.

The timing of this unsettled pattern has also lined up with the removing of strict travel restrictions.

The next few days should hopefully be an improvement over the past 2 days. It will certainly be warmer and hopefully more in the way of sunshine.

Whatever about a bit of moaning, the exaggeration is literally the worst thing I've ever seen in my life! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A bit more sunshine on offer tomorrow in the southeast and east particularly late afternoon evening - skies could clear nicely at that stage and will help temperatures, looking more overcast elsewhere for the day but it's a nowcast really in terms of cloud cover. You never where those breaks may occur.

anim_qlv3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ah lads, will yea calm down with all this "Summer is over" and "the Brits are having better weather than us" rubbish!

It's rare that they get a good prolonged spell of weather that we don't tap into in some form or other. IIRC 2014~2015 was probably the only time that parts of the UK did, and even at that it was the SE around the Kent peninsula that really stood out.

The vast majority of the UK landmass is under the Atlantic influence with probably Kent and that surrounding area the only exception. The south eastern portion of England manages higher temperatures in summer owing to the short channel of water between it and France. When the winds are southerly this is when they get a run of weather that brings notably high temperatures into that region.

The old saying "A British Summer is 3 fine days then a Thunderstorm" owes its meaning from a southerly fetch ahead of an advancing low from... the Atlantic of course! The humid Atlantic air colliding with the hot continental air over South-central England will usually spark these off.

When we get a light southeasterly advancing continental air across towards Ireland we get often similar weather to what England gets in a southerly. We often get peak temperatures quite close to the UK's in these setups.

Overall, the only major difference between the weather in Ireland and in the UK is when the winds are southerly. We've a sea track to Spain to our south, whereas they've France. Switch the wind direction and the differences are not as pronounced, we often get better weather than the UK in a northeasterly.

Danno wrote: »
    Ah lads, will yea calm down with all this "Summer is over" and "the Brits are having better weather than us" rubbish!

It's rare that they get a good prolonged spell of weather that we don't tap into in some form or other. IIRC 2014~2015 was probably the only time that parts of the UK did, and even at that it was the SE around the Kent peninsula that really stood out.

The vast majority of the UK landmass is under the Atlantic influence with probably Kent and that surrounding area the only exception. The south eastern portion of England manages higher temperatures in summer owing to the short channel of water between it and France. When the winds are southerly this is when they get a run of weather that brings notably high temperatures into that region.

The old saying "A British Summer is 3 fine days then a Thunderstorm" owes its meaning from a southerly fetch ahead of an advancing low from... the Atlantic of course! The humid Atlantic air colliding with the hot continental air over South-central England will usually spark these off.

When we get a light southeasterly advancing continental air across towards Ireland we get often similar weather to what England gets in a southerly. We often get peak temperatures quite close to the UK's in these setups.

Overall, the only major difference between the weather in Ireland and in the UK is when the winds are southerly. We've a sea track to Spain to our south, whereas they've France. Switch the wind direction and the differences are not as pronounced, we often get better weather than the UK in a northeasterly.

^^^^^
    This

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

km79 wrote: »
    Not looking good for the bonfire !

Bonfires in June?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

konman wrote: »
    Bonfires in June?

Bonfire night Ireland - June 23rd. Look it up.

Only found out about this recently, was very surprised. Certainly isn't a big thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The non stop moaning on here is relentless. It’s to be 20 tomorrow, 25 degrees on Thursday and 22 on Friday. Will people get a grip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement