Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Bonfire night Ireland - June 23rd. Look it up.

Only found out about this recently, was very surprised. Certainly isn't a big thing.

Was a huge thing for us growing up in the West of Ireland
    We'd spend weeks collecting cut down trees and tyres to burn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Only found out about this recently, was very surprised. Certainly isn't a big thing.

Main bonfire night in Cork City! Dublin has it different I believe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Very big here in Mayo. There are fires all over the place in the countryside around Westport at the moment and the air is filled with smoke haze.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

St John's Eve. Bonfires all across Donegal, sligo etc. I remember it always coincided with the national school holidays starting. We would be out collecting stuff for weeks beforehand. A great occasion, fire would be lit about 10pm and go on to 2 or 3 in the morning. Older people would sit on the side of the road chatting, there would be someone with a fiddle or an acordian. A proper community event unlike those awful Halloween fires they have in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

It is where I’m from in south mayo
    First bonfire night in 25 years as I have just moved back home . My sons first
    Lasted two hours and were the last two standing
    SOAKED
    Enjoyed it though ! And There will be many more

He also seen a real life rat run in from the furlough

• Advertisement

And before all the climate change people come in
    It was just wood and clippings from gardens Etc
    No tyres

Sadly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

St John's Eve. Bonfires all across Donegal, sligo etc. I remember it always coincided with the national school holidays starting. We would be out collecting stuff for weeks beforehand. A great occasion, fire would be lit about 10pm and go on to 2 or 3 in the morning. Older people would sit on the side of the road chatting, there would be someone with a fiddle or an acordian. A proper community event unlike those awful Halloween fires they have in Dublin.

Can you just please leave this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Aye, a great night bonfires. Locals bring food and some cans of beer etc . good crack. Sun managed to come out here about 10pm for 10 minutes to be replaced by more rain by about 10.30pm

pad199207 wrote: »
    Can you just please leave this forum?

What's wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

What's wrong?

Nothing it’s grand now. I see I made you edit your post from earlier on.
    So it’s fixed now, happy days.

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    Nothing it’s grand now. I see I made you edit your post from earlier on.
    So it’s fixed now, happy days.

I didn't edit anything! I thought you did.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

some fairly decent temperatures over the next 2 days:

Tomorrow will be warming up, best chance of sunny spells will be towards the south-east

hirlamuk-41-22-0.png?23-23

Thursday looking nice and warm, 25C or 26C possible in places if there is decent sunshine.

hirlamuk-41-45-0.png?24-00

This version of the Hirlam has perhaps overdone it a bit.

fmiuk-41-50-0.png?23-20

Harmonie gets us nice and warm on Thursday as well.

harmonieeur40-41-46-3.png?24-00

I know this June has felt disappointing for some people but it's alot better than what we had on offer last June. We've had a couple of days of mid twenties already this month and many places saw thunderstorms last week so it isn't all bad.

This Thursday will be very warm and sticky and there should be some good sunny spells with perhaps the odd thunderstorm getting in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Unreal sunset in the Northwest of Ireland.
    How the hell do I embed an image?

There was a rainbow too....at 1005pm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

pauldry wrote: »
    Unreal sunset in the Northwest of Ireland.

Fantastic sky around sunset here too this eve near Castlebar. My own location has been very close to the western edge of that band of rain that has sat across this part of the country since mid afternoon. I could see clearer skies to the west this eve while it rained fairly persistently here. As the sun was setting it managed to illuminate the canopy of rain bearing cloud above us which lifted the gloominess of the evening up until then.
    Recorded 12mm from the rain from this front so far.
    Monday's rain left 18mm here also.
    The soil moisture deficit is gradually being chipped away at following that very dry spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: post #1003

That Friday 4pm chart, how can it be 25c in Coleraine yet 20miles across the lough its 13c in Inishowen?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

NIMAN wrote: »
    Re: post #1003

That Friday 4pm chart, how can it be 25c in Coleraine yet 20miles across the lough its 13c in Inishowen?

Look at the colours, that 13°c is out at sea.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I didn't edit anything! I thought you did.

Mod Note: I edited your post....removed the offensive bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met eireann now going for over 25 degrees tomorrow in Leinster, score! To be up to 23 degrees today too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Met eireann now going for over 25 degrees tomorrow in Leinster, score! To be up to 23 degrees today too

It's snowing in Kerry.

Joking... Though it might as well be since I'm working :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I thought summer was over!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Summer will be over from Saturday... (joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes the moaners on here would have you believe that and yet the weather has been nice here in Dublin since Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Showers yesterday afternoon followed by heavy and persistent rain from 6pm. Crap.
    Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

is this coming from the south or the east? makes a difference to me here in North Dublin coast... coming from the east means you could knock that down to about 20..

which is still fine

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yes the moaners on here would have you believe that and yet the weather has been nice here in Dublin since Saturday

since Saturday?

it's been mild but there's been a LOT of rain and wind

Yesterday and today are calm and warm which is good. But since Saturday? Nice? Not sure I'd say that.

Some people are spoiled beyond belief after the remarkable spring that passed. Up until the arrival of the storms a week ago we were effectively in a drought. Virtually no rain had fallen in the Midwest for three months, the ground was rock hard and grass yellow. I must be in the minority relieved at recent turn of events, mere days into much needed change (hosepipe ban anyone?) and I can't fathom why so many would throw in the towel already. There are nearly 70 days of the meteorological summer to run, get a grip.

Yr.no for Thursday and Friday now showing lots of rain ?
    Lots of Very warm rain Thursday
    Less cooler rain rain for Friday
    Lots of cold rain all day Saturday
    Patchy rain Sunday
    Then lots of rain Monday and Tuesday

Badly needed sure
    I believe that takes us to July 1st ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

Some people are spoiled beyond belief after the remarkable spring that passed. Up until the arrival of the storms a week ago we were effectively in a drought. Virtually no rain had fallen in the Midwest for three months, the ground was rock hard and grass yellow. I must be in the minority relieved at recent turn of events, mere days into much needed change (hosepipe ban anyone?) and I can't fathom why so many would throw in the towel already. There are nearly 70 days of the meteorological summer to run, get a grip.

Your definitely not in the minority. It was badly needed. Blue skies and sun in North Clare this morning after all the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

km79 wrote: »
    Yr.no for Thursday and Friday now showing lots of rain ?
    Lots of Very warm rain Thursday
    Less cooler rain rain for Friday
    Lots of cold rain all day Saturday
    Patchy rain Sunday
    Then lots of rain Monday and Tuesday

Badly needed sure
    I believe that takes us to July 1st ......

Without knowing what part you are in the country, I'd wager that rain would be significantly less on met.ie. I don't use yr so much anymore, I feel they exaggerate quite a lot these days.

• Advertisement

endainoz wrote: »
    Without knowing what part you are in the country, I'd wager that rain would be significantly less on met.ie. I don't use yr so much anymore, I feel they exaggerate quite a lot these days.

South mayo
    They were fairly accurate for the rain over the last week to be fair to them so im not optimistic
    I was looking forward to two sunny dry days and had planned activities with the kids around that .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement