Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Well given that I was in the park all day with kids on Saturday and it was beautiful and Sunday had a BBQ in the garden for the afternoon / evening it was definitely lovely weekend here. The only exception was Saturday night when we got very random windy conditions
    lawred2 wrote: »
    since Saturday?

it's been mild but there's been a LOT of rain and wind

Yesterday and today are calm and warm which is good. But since Saturday? Nice? Not sure I'd say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

compsys wrote: »
    I think your SAD might be affecting your judgement.

We didn’t have nine months of non stop rain. And spring consisted of about 10 weeks of sun and little rain. Not two.

I meant 2 sunny MONTHS and 2 weeks without proper daylight since about the 10th June. I couldn't go out in the sunshine much of the time as I have been working. It was nice to see it coming in the window though. I haven't seen blue sky for about 3 weeks now.

As for winter, I would rather a cold, frosty, snowy but sunny one to the overcast muck we usually get in Ireland.

Please don't trivialise SAD, it affects a lot of people in Ireland and I think it also contributes to our problems with alcohol, mental health issues and obesity. A lot of people in Ireland live for their week or two away in a sunny place and many won't have that this year. I agree that the sunny April and May were unusual but if we get a dull miserable July and August on top of most of June it won't make up for it. Warm days don't count if they're dull.

We could have a two week heatwave in July followed by 3 days of cloud and rain and people would moan on here

Some people are spoiled beyond belief after the remarkable spring that passed. Up until the arrival of the storms a week ago we were effectively in a drought. Virtually no rain had fallen in the Midwest for three months, the ground was rock hard and grass yellow. I must be in the minority relieved at recent turn of events, mere days into much needed change (hosepipe ban anyone?) and I can't fathom why so many would throw in the towel already. There are nearly 70 days of the meteorological summer to run, get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yesterdays sunset northwest.

Cant embed so dunno how it looks.

Can you embed imgur? It said I was blocked when I tried.

Should be the most easy thing to do but seems enormously complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met Éireann giving 25-28°c over the east tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So much for the sun today. Cloudy overcast in East Cork - hopefully it'll break through in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Nice day in the west today anyway
    Very pleasant

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

starting to feel quite warm here in Meath with the sun finally poking out after 3 very cloudy and damp days.

Tomorrow is looking very good with temperatures really taking off, 25C or 26C possible in many places with 27 or 28C possible in some south-eastern areas.

hirlamuk-41-34-0.png?24-11

A fair bit of sunshine tomorrow but showers will develop and some could be rather thundery with thunderstorms possible in a few places.

Gonzo wrote: »
    starting to feel quite warm here in Meath with the sun finally poking out after 3 very cloudy and damp days.

Tomorrow is looking very good with temperatures really taking off, 25C or 26C possible in many places with 27 or 28C possible in some south-eastern areas.

A fair bit of sunshine tomorrow but showers will develop and some could be rather thundery with thunderstorms possible in a few places.

Shame it couldn't be at the weekend - the weekend looks like it will revert back to cooler and damper weather. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Shame it couldn't be at the weekend - the weekend looks like it will revert back to cooler and damper weather. :(

yep from this weekend it will turn cool and unsettled, this will last most if not all of next week and then things may begin to settle down after that. Definitely make the most of tomorrows warmth.

• Advertisement

Tomorrow up to 28 degrees in the east according to Met eireann update, oh yessssss!!!

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep from this weekend it will turn cool and unsettled, this will last most if not all of next week and then things may begin to settle down after that. Definitely make the most of tomorrows warmth.

Don't think the boss at work will share that sentiment. :(

Tomorrow up to 28 degrees in the east according to Met eireann update, oh yessssss!!!

Makes it frustrating that it will be all gone by Saturday morning and back to grey, dull and cool.

Makes it frustrating that it will be all gone by Saturday morning and back to grey, dull and cool.

at the same time I think were lucky that we've managed to tap into the heat for 1 day, a lot better than nothing at all. I've seen plenty of setups like this over the years where the heat completely misses Ireland by a short margin, last summer was a great example of this where we failed to really get proper heat going even for 1 day.

There's a band of cloud over the country that is stubbornly hanging in there and refusing to budge. The sun threatened to break through about an hour ago but the cloud is back now. East Cork.

Once again can we not just focus on the positive that its lovely and warm today and will be again tomorrow. All of Ireland and Britain are cooling down from the weekend vs Thursday. Let's just take great weather when we get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Once again can we not just focus on the positive that its lovely and warm today and will be again tomorrow. All of Ireland and Britain are cooling down from the weekend vs Thursday. Let's just take great weather when we get it.

Sunny and warm where you are. Really dark overcast and drizzling on and off in Limerick all day, followed on from rain all day long yesterday and sunday.

Theres not much positives to take for us we haven't seen much of the sun since june 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Sunny and warm where you are. Really dark overcast and drizzling on and off in Limerick all day, followed on from rain all day long yesterday and sunday.

Theres not much positives to take for us we haven't seen much of the sun since june 2nd

tomorrow will be a very interesting day. Could well turn out to be the hottest day of the year somewhere towards the south-east if there are decent sunshine amounts. We will also have the threat of thunderstorms developing so those will be interesting to track to see if they develop. Friday may not be too bad either with some warm air in place before the cooler air takes over during the afternoon.

Dull and overcast all day today here. Not sure what's to celebrate other than it isn't raining I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Dull and overcast here not sure what we’re supposed to be “celebrating”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Met Éireann giving 25-28°c over the east tomorrow.

Hopefully it will stay dry as well. Farmers near me are trying to save some hay.

It's a bit warmer today and the sky isn't as overcast as before. There was even a little patch of blue sky! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

In North Kildare and the same. Sun broke out about two hours ago but has receded behind a lot of stubborn cloud since then. Doesn't look promising for the next while form what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's warm in Dublin but overcast, sun came out a few times. I like this weather, once it's warm and bright enough to sit outside comfortably I can't complain. Looks like it's going to be warmer in the evening, I'm gonna make the most of it and cycle out to Howth to buy some fishies.

Its a very pleasant day in Dublin. Nothing special but nice and warm as you said, partly cloudy with some sunshine. I sat out the garden at lunch time and it was very pleasant. Tomorrow looks lovely
    It's warm in Dublin but overcast, sun came out a few times. I like this weather, once it's warm and bright enough to sit outside comfortably I can't complain. Looks like it's going to be warmer in the evening, I'm gonna make the most of it and cycle out to Howth to buy some fishies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Wall to wall sunshine and blue skies in Bray all day so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Slasher, at the end of the day it's not really your decision to make that everyone should be enjoying the weather just because you are in Dublin. There's a decent chunk of the country under thick cloud today and they most certainly don't have to enjoy it because you are. Us easterners have an awful habit of telling the rest of the country to get on with it when we are blessed with sunnier weather, less rain and less wind - year in year out.

Here in D9, 17.3 degrees and still dull BUT can see a lot more blue sky getting much closer. 17 degrees is mild weather to me. Pleasant. Not warm however. Should be just enough time in the day that we jump to around 20. Very similar feeling day to the 16th, it was primed for a gorgeous warm day but the cloud took till around 3-4pm to shift here and we only managed to climb to around 20.5 degrees in the end.

Fair point...... I didnt realise the weather was so bad in other parts of the country. I suppose what i am getting at is the constant negativity on here even after a really good spell of weather. I know the last couple of weeks have been poor compared to the great weather from March to early June. I just think the talk of summer 2020 being a wash out and the likely woeful weather to come when we havent a clue what will really come is painful.
    John.Icy wrote: »
    Slasher, at the end of the day it's not really your decision to make that everyone should be enjoying the weather just because you are in Dublin. There's a decent chunk of the country under thick cloud today and they most certainly don't have to enjoy it because you are. Us easterners have an awful habit of telling the rest of the country to get on with it when we are blessed with sunnier weather, less rain and less wind - year in year out.

Here in D9, 17.3 degrees and still dull BUT can see a lot more blue sky getting much closer. 17 degrees is mild weather to me. Pleasant. Not warm however. Should be just enough time in the day that we jump to around 20. Very similar feeling day to the 16th, it was primed for a gorgeous warm day but the cloud took till around 3-4pm to shift here and we only managed to climb to around 20.5 degrees in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Fair point...... I didnt realise the weather was so bad in other parts of the country. I suppose what i am getting at is the constant negativity on here even after a really good spell of weather. I know the last couple of weeks have been poor compared to the great weather from March to early June. I just think the talk of summer 2020 being a wash out and the likely woeful weather to come when we havent a clue what will really come is painful.

Oh I do agree about some of the writing off being silly! Best to ignore really.

I feel like many are just wounded from previous years. Our weather does tend to come in batches and when you get such a stunning run like we've just come through then you could almost be sure that's the 'summer' come and gone, even if it's still June :D. Plenty of scope left for multiple 20+ degrees day in the next 60 days.

EDIT: and a personal note, despite Dublin Airport having a decent catch up in rain - I've really felt amazed at some of the reports from similar parts of Dublin regards the rain and how bad it has been too. I only really remember a day or two where the rain was heavy enough to wet the ground properly. A few damp days but no deluges. That 12mm shower that early morning in the Dublin region had dried by the time I woke so didn't leave an impression on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 zeebests

As long as we get a blast of sun at done time (done deal) I don't mind. Doesn't usually know when to stop raining once it starts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement