Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

This is not hay weather. Not enough sun at all and 1 day is not enough.
    Emme wrote: »
    Hopefully it will stay dry as well. Farmers near me are trying to save some hay.

It's a bit warmer today and the sky isn't as overcast as before. There was even a little patch of blue sky! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Beautiful sunshine in north Dublin and temperatures responding nicely :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

MT mentioned this morning an upturn is possible on or around 10th July. What are you model watchers thoughts on this. This proposed upturn is important for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Its amazing how localised the weather has been even within Dublin. So many differing reports of heavy rain and literally 10km away, absolutely nothing. We have only really had a few days that i can think of with what you would call heavy rain. The weather in June has definitely not been very good but it hasnt been bad either. Most days I have been able to bring the kids out handy enough and not got any rain showers.

Sun splitting the skies as i type and really nice out there. More so than most weeks, the weather does seem to have been much more localised.
    John.Icy wrote: »
    Oh I do agree about some of the writing off being silly! Best to ignore really.

I feel like many are just wounded from previous years. Our weather does tend to come in batches and when you get such a stunning run like we've just come through then you could almost be sure that's the 'summer' come and gone, even if it's still June :D. Plenty of scope left for multiple 20+ degrees day in the next 60 days.

EDIT: and a personal note, despite Dublin Airport having a decent catch up in rain - I've really felt amazed at some of the reports from similar parts of Dublin regards the rain and how bad it has been too. I only really remember a day or two where the rain was heavy enough to wet the ground properly. A few damp days but no deluges. That 12mm shower that early morning in the Dublin region had dried by the time I woke so didn't leave an impression on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Doesn't look like that band of cloud is going to shift, it's been sitting there all day.

web17_sat_irl_vis_202006241430.jpeg

• Advertisement

Stunning here in north Dub nearer the coast. Shame about inland. Winners and losers etc...

It should still break a little as the evening progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Stuck under the cloud here all day in Kildare bar a few breaks. Still 20°c

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Has turned into a delightful evening weatherwise in Dublin 13

Pleasantly warm sunshine with a warm breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

I can't believe it but sitting here in back garden + its absolutely roasting!!!!!

I wasn't expecting this. Overcast most of day but mild+ then late afternoon sun appeared + heat is unbelievable.

Barbercue is on!

I can't believe it but sitting here in back garden + its absolutely roasting!!!!!

I wasn't expecting this. Overcast most of day but mild+ then late afternoon sun appeared + heat is unbelievable.

Barbercue is on!

• Advertisement

Absolute peach of an evening here in Dublin 5. BBQ about to be lit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the sun tried to get going about 2 hours ago, had about 2 minutes of sunshine and it felt very warm for a few minutes, fully cloudy ever since.

Gonzo wrote: »
    the sun tried to get going about 2 hours ago, had about 2 minutes of sunshine and it felt very warm for a few minutes, fully cloudy ever since.

Meanwhile a few miles away...

1537121.main_image.jpg?strip=all

:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

latest Hirlam going for 27C in the south-east tomorrow, of course this will depend greatly on cloud cover and getting decent sunny spells going.

hirlamuk-41-27-0.png?24-18

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Dull overcast all day. The sun looked like it was going to break through around lunchtime but then the clouds quickly built-up again and it's been dull since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Unbroken sunshine here now in D9. Climbed to 19.5, might hit a true 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

It really is a tale of 2 halfs in Dublin as one half of the city sits under sunny blue skies and to the west of the city you've got a heavy blanket of cloud, really is pot luck today on where you are situated

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

eon1208 wrote: »
    MT mentioned this morning an upturn is possible on or around 10th July. What are you model watchers thoughts on this. This proposed upturn is important for me..

The UKMO long range has hinted at it being more widely settled, which could include us. Also some of the background signals, that can influence what happen in our region, suggest it could settle down by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Met Eireann ramping up the temperature for Dublin, 25-26C for the next two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Stunner of a day in Donegal as well, warm and sunny all day. Noticeably greener everywhere now after all the rain in the past few days

• Advertisement

blue skies here for the past 2 hours, lovely end to the day now after several days of cloud, mist and rain. The sunshine and warmth is most welcome!

Only 279mm of rain so far this year from January to end of June at Dublin Airport. That is very impressive at this point of the year. I think Dublin averages just over 700mm of rainfall per year so at this point in the year it is tracking very low. Interestingly 2017 was even drier, i dont recall that year being so good for weather, i remember 2018 for the amazing warm weather from May - July. In fact for the whole calendar year of 2017 there was only 660mm of rain at Dublin Airport, which was less than 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Any time I look with jealousy at the 30ºc in London or indeed Galway in 2018, I have to remind myself that although from a meteorological pov its frustrating to have never seen 30ºc in my neck of the woods on the east coast during my lifetime IIRC....I need to remind myself that I melt at 25ºc. Remember deciding that I needed some vitamin D during the Summer of 2018 and sat outside.....lasted about 1 minute before the 'heat' drove me back inside. LOL. I'd faint in 30ºc heat tbh LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Great day overall in Dublin.

Pic is of the crepuscular rays at Burrow Beach this evening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Calibos wrote: »
    Any time I look with jealousy at the 30ºc in London or indeed Galway in 2018, I have to remind myself that although from a meteorological pov its frustrating to have never seen 30ºc in my neck of the woods on the east coast during my lifetime IIRC....I need to remind myself that I melt at 25ºc. Remember deciding that I needed some vitamin D during the Summer of 2018 and sat outside.....lasted about 1 minute before the 'heat' drove me back inside. LOL. I'd faint in 30ºc heat tbh LOL.

Me too (a ginger!) but the remarkable thing about the 2018 heatwave for me was how dry it was. The low humidity made it feel not oppressive at all. Loved it!

It was a stunning evening tonight in Norrh County Dublin.

Can't wait for tomorrow. I've a busy day wft but can have my lunchtime outside + then step straight outside after work.

32.5 degrees at Heathrow Airport today. Whoa that is hot.

38 hit in Spain around Seville and Madrid, 34 in Paris today. You would fry an egg on the road in that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Lovley morning. Nice warmth there the sun is shining through the clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Glorious morning here in Naas, 21 degrees and rising. Sunrise this morning was epic!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Stunning morning in D5. 20 degrees at 10am at Phoenix park

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement