Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

19.4 degrees in D9. Hoping we can get away with getting some storms later without getting the maximum heat possible (28 degrees I see mentioned in the other thread). We'd have to get very lucky here to avoid the wind going NE as it looks very variable so far today. Can see some thin high cloud lurking further south too - I think if we'd be hitting 28 here we'd need to be at 22 or 23 degrees by now?

Lovely out there though, 77% humidity and little breeze means it's gonna bake out there today, my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

Very pleasant sunshine in Cork City. Had breakfast outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Very muggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Midday and it's 22c here in Ballycullen Firhouse Dublin 24.
    Beautiful clear skies and a few high up clouds. Gorgeous day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Can really feel it heating up now.....will be interesting to see what temp is hit today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Bloody clouds not shifting. Nice and warm but an awful lot of cloud still hanging in there. East Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mount Dillon 23 degrees @ 1pm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

22C here at Dunshaughlin, was expecting it to be a bit warmer generally by this stage. Beautiful day tho, unbroken sunshine. If the sun persists for the rest of the day we may get to 24C or maybe 25C with a bit of luck.

A flat 22 here in D9. Humidity adding to the feel so no issues regarding how it feels out there - but will it reduce storm chances later maybe.

24 degrees at Phoenix park and casement at 2pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Yesterday met eireann said on there website dry settled next week...today its says "changable" ...I wonder what the so called forecast will be by tomoro...if the forecast changes EVERY DAY then its not a forecast....why bother

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Yesterday met eireann said on there website dry settled next week...today its says "changable" ...I wonder what the so called forecast will be by tomoro...if the forecast changes EVERY DAY then its not a forecast....why bother

all models have been hinting at a very unsettled 7 to 14 day outlook over the past few days, not sure I remember Met Eireann saying next week will be dry and settled. The outlook has been on the unsettled side of things for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So glad I'm not working today it's beautiful in Dublin nicest day of the year so far from me. Trying to soak up as much rays as i can doesnt look great going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

22 degrees here in Castlebar with plenty of sunshine. That will do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Gonzo wrote: »
    all models have been hinting at a very unsettled 7 to 14 day outlook over the past few days, not sure I remember Met Eireann saying next week will be dry and settled. The outlook has been on the unsettled side of things for quite a while.

They did to be fair, they stated it on either Monday/Tuesday in their 5 day forecast section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Lovely warm hazy sunshine here today. Was a smashing morning for a run too most enjoyable. Don’t remember seeing anything from ME promising settled weather long term in their forecasts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Very warm but fairly dull in Clondalkin. Not as bad as I feared so far though (I hate heat), humidity not so bad and there is a gentle breeze. Hope there's some serious downpours later, but hope we miss the thunder for the dog's sake.

To be fair, up to a couple of days ago they said in their outlook that the weather would become much more settled next week after the weekend

Lovely warm hazy sunshine here today. Was a smashing morning for a run too most enjoyable. Don’t remember seeing anything from ME promising settled weather long term in their forecasts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Again the MÉ Harmonie overdid temperatures for today, as it did in the west a few weeks ago. Oak Park's reports are missing but I doubt it hit 28.

Forecast 4 pm temperatures versus actual.

517729.PNG

517728.png

The Oak Park AWS is reading 25.8 on the official observations on the wow site, presuming that's the official Met Eireann one?

They aren't too far off pending the validity or accuracy or the north kildare station reports we get on here of a rounded 27 degrees. Far too big a spread of the heat though.

EDIT: temp slowly falling back here. Going by the satellite the uninterrupted sunshine is ending over much of the East now. Passing hazy/less hazy here now but can see some thicker high cloud coming from the south horizon. Didn't think we'd make it till 5pm with near constant sunshine nonetheless so fantastic day.

• Advertisement

Oak Park now 26C according to Met Eireann which is today's high it seems. I don't think this will be beaten.

Looks like we might miss out on 28 today but 26 degrees is decent enough in June

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Confirmed by MÉ on the radio now that the max temperature nationwide today was 26.2 at Oak Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

telekon wrote: »
    They did to be fair, they stated it on either Monday/Tuesday in their 5 day forecast section.

Their automated forecast for your exact location?

There's where you went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Highest in West today 24c. Will be late July before we see the 28c plus

pauldry wrote: »
    Highest in West today 24c. Will be late July before we see the 28c plus

The next 2 weeks do look quite poor with plenty of zonal cool Atlantic stuff on the way but i'm fairly optimistic we are going to see a fairly serious improvement as we head into mid July and on into August. Second half of this summer may yet prove to be the best half.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

The next 2 weeks do look quite poor with plenty of zonal cool Atlantic stuff on the way but i'm fairly optimistic we are going to see a fairly serious improvement as we head into mid July and on into August. Second half of this summer may yet prove to be the best half.

The second half of July will be good but August is monsoon month isnt it?

pauldry wrote: »
    The second half of July will be good but August is monsoon month isnt it?

August yeah is usually awful where the jetstream get's powered up and the PV start's to rebuild. Most of Europe usually enjoys a very hot August but Ireland is usually back into an Autumn pattern by that stage. However this is not always the case and there has been warm and settled August's in the past. Right now most of the long term models are hinting towards a settled and slightly warmer than average August which extends into early Autumn as well.

The long term models have been very good so far this year. Most of them predicted this relatively unsettled June and at the time around the 1st of June some of us were quite skeptical of their June outlook, but they have proven to be correct again. I am now hoping for a warmer and dryer second half of the summer. July will probably be a continuation of relatively cool and Atlantic driven weather into the first week of the month but hopefully by mid month we will see a big shift towards high pressure and the Atlantic blocking up for a few weeks at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

For some reason they did say settled. I was sceptical because of here..

• Advertisement

eon1208 wrote: »
    For some reason they did say settled. I was sceptical because of here..

at the start of June it looked as if the change to cooler and unsettled conditions may only be temporary, but as those low pressures moved from Iceland to Ireland one by one, the Atlantic has had time to regain some energy and this has become a definite pattern change which looks like lasting till at least the first week of July. Over the past two weeks all the models and indeed the forecasts were hinting towards a mixed or unsettled pattern that would last into the second half of June.

The GFS got it wrong several times during early June hinting at a quick return to warm and settled conditions while the other models shot it down fairly quickly each time. The models have improved alot over the past week in terms of reliability and they have all been singing from the same hymn sheet recently with this unsettled outlook at least in the short term.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement