Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cooler air arrived here now and fully cloudy. Not only is the difference noticeable in temperature but also clouds. Can still see some of the continental style clouds to my far north with some tower action, however over me and to my south and west is the typical slate grey cloud along with the drop in temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Light rain has started here + wind picking up not as warm as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

seamusk84 wrote: »
    What the hell, starting to get a bit chilly now in Kildare North.

How did that happen?!

Most likely your body has acclimatised to warmer conditions so drops in temps are felt more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Dismal afternoon / evening in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gonzo wrote: »
    cooler air arrived here now and fully cloudy. Not only is the difference noticeable in temperature but also clouds. Can still see some of the continental style clouds to my far north with some tower action, however over me and to my south and west is the typical slate grey cloud along with the drop in temperatures.

the typical Irish scutter in other words

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

From the sublime last night to the ridiculous tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

It rained for all of 10s in west Dublin today yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

appledrop wrote: »
    Wow another amazing day.I wasn't expecting it to be this nice today!

Brilliant. Hope it continues.

Yep - same here. And once again it was forecast to be a wet one.
    Despite all the negativity to be seen on this forum I think this has been one of the better summers in years so far.
    Rain is constantly forecast but rarely comes - not scientifically accurate, but it feels like 4 days out of 5 that have been forecast wet here since April have actually turned out dry - and mostly warm and sunny too.

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Yep - same here. And once again it was forecast to be a wet one.
    Despite all the negativity to be seen on this forum I think this has been one of the better summers in years so far.
    Rain is constantly forecast but rarely comes - not scientifically accurate, but it feels like 4 days out of 5 that have been forecast wet here since April have actually turned out dry - and mostly warm and sunny too.

Eh, have a look at the stats for Cork.... 73mm of rain for June so far. On track to be about 130% of avg. Your statement doesn't apply to the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Chances of another thunder storm in next 6 hrs?

• Advertisement

Eh, have a look at the stats for Cork.... 73mm of rain for June so far. On track to be about 130% of avg. Your statement doesn't apply to the entire country.

You're right. I'm not referring to Cork, but for most of the midlands and north west, it's been drier than normal, and mostly warm too - if a litte cloudier - since the start of June.
    However, if you were to base your impression of the summer so far from the forecast charts rather than the actual weather it would be much more negative altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Ye deserve it 😁

Neddyusa wrote: »
    You're right. I'm not referring to Cork, but for most of the midlands and north west, it's been drier than normal, and mostly warm too - if a litte cloudier - since the start of June.
    However, if you were to base your impression of the summer so far from the forecast charts rather than the actual weather it would be much more negative altogether

It’s been amazing on the East coast too, I went swimming after work yesterday , 3rd time this week. By then it had got cloudy but it was lovely and warm.

Hey we’re not going to get wall to wall sunshine every day of the Summer ! We live in Ireland . But I love the diversity , I love the clouds , the warmth , thunder , downpowers when the garden is parched , suddenly back to blue skies again. (I just don’t like the wind) The diversity and unexpectedness is what makes Irish weather. We don’t live in the South of France!
    On hot days I’ll garden or relax and read , go for a cycle or walk in the longer evening when it cools down. On cooler days I’ll hike, bike, swim, walk, run. You just take each day and make the most of it .

None of the above describes Cork in June so far (apart from the 1st and 2nd).

Dull wet cool morning here this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

News flash - just because it has been fine and sunny in your part of the country for June does not mean it has been the same in the rest !

Heavy rain in south mayo . It’s forecast to rain heavily until Monday afternoon . The 29th of June

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Rainfall in Cork is ahead of the 40 year average for 2020 so far. So please remember just because you're having reasonable dry weather this year, not everyone is and don't tell people they must be happy just because you are having a great time.

O3UWKQ0.jpg

I think it’s as much to do with peoples perception of what a nice day is. Some people think 15 degrees and occasional showers is fine. Others would prefer it to be 20 degrees plus in summer with sunshine. Unfortunately in Ireland that rarely happens. It is a bit grating alright to be told the weather is good and to put on your coat and get on with it when it’s just not. It’s tipping down rain here all morning it’s not in anyway conducive to me personally doing anything. Again I’m at pains not to speak for anyone else before people start getting offended. But it’s the 27th of June you’d hope for better because frankly it couldn’t really be much worse could it. (Actually it could in hindsight last Saturday afternoon and evening)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very heavy showers in Kildare now. Summer is back.

Its fine to complain about the weather here (probably the main function of the thread really :pac: )

But I don't see the need to jump down other posters throats for simply saying that theyre enjoying the good summer in their area.

Im in the west of Ireland so Ive seen plenty of bad summers here and thankfully this isn't one of them (so far).

And by the way - its raining heavily on and off here too. 4.8mm today bringing us almost up to average for the month at 77mm so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Absolutely belting down on and off in Dublin. Monsoon season has begun.

Sunshine about five minutes ago has turned to dark black and torrential rain

North Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very heavy showers in Dublin cc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Persistent rain here in Castlebar with low cloud/fog on the hills. Miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Quite shocking temperatures over the next few days 12 -16 C. A slight improvement after that but still quite cool.

Hopefully we get a return to warmth and drier weather after next week

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible morning here in Meath, those showers are very intense, mini deluges in themselves. The Atlantic is back full steam ahead for the next 7 to 10 days at least and then hopefully we will have a confident sign that things will begin to settle down alot during July.

Looking out at October weather at the moment

Mental

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Shockingly, theres a ball of fire in the sky in Cork City thats appearing every so often between the clouds (buts its only lasting for about 5 minutes before another half an hour of grey!) One or two showers around which I expect will stay all day. Some high topped clouds around too though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

First proper heavy rain in Dublin that I can remember since February. Garden is loving it !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Some very heavy rain over the last hour or so in Dublin 5. I don't remember seeing rain as heavy as it was an hour ago since May 2015 (not sure about the year but it was a May and definitely before 2016). From what I've been reading here, the west and midlands have had the best weather so far this summer. It's been poorer than average so far in Dublin in my opinion but by no means a disaster. This is just my opinion though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement