Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Some very heavy rain over the last hour or so in Dublin 5. I don't remember seeing rain as heavy as it was an hour ago since May 2015 (not sure about the year but it was a May and definitely before 2016). From what I've been reading here, the west and midlands have had the best weather so far this summer. It's been poorer than average so far in Dublin in my opinion but by no means a disaster. This is just my opinion though.

Welcome back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Met Éireann temperature reports from this day 2 years ago. Hitting 30c in a few spots:

pdimXVc.png

With a keen breeze and a current reading of 13.3c here, I think it is going to be a struggle to achieve similar values before the afternoon is out.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

Summer started June 1st and it has been poor. Dry weather in April and May is useless for our countryside. So this year is poor for a whole host of reasons.
    Neddyusa wrote: »
    Yep - same here. And once again it was forecast to be a wet one.
    Despite all the negativity to be seen on this forum I think this has been one of the better summers in years so far.
    Rain is constantly forecast but rarely comes - not scientifically accurate, but it feels like 4 days out of 5 that have been forecast wet here since April have actually turned out dry - and mostly warm and sunny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OldRio

Started raining at about 11.00. Still raining. Water pooling on the lawns.
    Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I prefer this June over June 2019 but neither has been great. Currently, this June is duller than June 2019 and looks to be dullest in a few years. 105.9 hrs at Shannon Airport to 26th June is dullest since 2012 and whilst a few days to go, I don't see totals improving a great deal. So will probably be dullest June since 2012 or 2017 nationally speaking. That's really the reason why I rate this June poorly. Some fantastic individual days but long periods of very little sunshine.

After an exceptional sunny spring, it has been very disappointing to come to a June like this.

EDIT: Oh yeah and that bloody wind again this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Some very heavy rain over the last hour or so in Dublin 5. I don't remember seeing rain as heavy as it was an hour ago since May 2015 (not sure about the year but it was a May and definitely before 2016). From what I've been reading here, the west and midlands have had the best weather so far this summer. It's been poorer than average so far in Dublin in my opinion but by no means a disaster. This is just my opinion though.

We had it earlier this month when I was awake at 5am! Over 11.5mm in an hour that morning. Today's showers were up there aswell though I'd say. It will be interesting to see stats tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I prefer this June over June 2019 but neither has been great. Currently, this June is duller than June 2019 and looks to be dullest in a few years. 105.9 hrs at Shannon Airport to 26th June is dullest since 2012 and whilst a few days to go, I don't see totals improving a great deal. So will probably be dullest June since 2012 or 2017 nationally speaking. That's really the reason why I rate this June poorly. Some fantastic individual days but long periods of very little sunshine.

After an exceptional sunny spring, it has been very disappointing to come to a June like this.

Agreed on the wind alright. A big difference with June 19 though, is that the rain this year has come in the form of heavy showers and much of it at nighttime, so less drizzly "sky on the ground" days like we had last June.
    Also, where I am, the first two weeks of this June were very dry and so, following the exceptionally dry spring, we were very glad to see this rain over the past week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Miserable washout of a day in Donegal again, the bank holiday weekend aside this summer is following the all too familiar pattern of weekends being unusable because of the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Any idea of long term forecast ?? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Farmer2017 wrote: »

Did you get enough rain around your parts to end the drought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's been a pretty sh*tty month but I haven't minded it as much as I usually would because I've been at home the whole time and not stuck in work. So the few days where it's been sunny I am out doing things or even just lying in the park in the sun or out the back. I still look like I've been on holidays after topping up my tan the other day when it was sunny and warm in Dublin!
    I actually think I'd be happy with even one guaranteed day of sun and warmth a week in summer, and maybe we almost get that, but when you're stuck in work the odds of those days been at the weekend are slim and you can go for what seems like weeks or even months on end without enjoying any good weather.

It's been a pretty sh*tty month but I haven't minded it as much as I usually would because I've been at home the whole time and not stuck in work. So the few days where it's been sunny I am out doing things or even just lying in the park in the sun or out the back. I still look like I've been on holidays after topping up my tan the other day when it was sunny and warm in Dublin!
    I actually think I'd be happy with even one guaranteed day of sun and warmth a week in summer, and maybe we almost get that, but when you're stuck in work the odds of those days been at the weekend are slim and you can go for what seems like weeks or even months on end without enjoying any good weather.

I'd agree with you. Now I'm busy working from home so can't enjoy it as much during day but the hours I'm saving communting I get to enjoy in local park in evening or barbecue at home..We had some beautiful weather this week that we got to enjoy it so I don't mind too much about washout weekend. However if I was in work all this week + faced into that weekend I'd be hoping mad!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Farmer2017 wrote: »

Plenty more rain over the next 7 to 10 days, temperatures generaly in the 12 to 18C range.

Second week of July could be a transitional week from unsettled to something more settled. At the moment any signs of the weather settling down and warming up is at the extreme ends of FI or in the form of long range weather charts. There is no guarantee that the current unsettled conditions will end in July or that they will continue. Looks fairly certain the next one to two weeks will be largely dominated by the Atlantic and alot of cool and unsettled conditions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I prefer this June over June 2019 but neither has been great. Currently, this June is duller than June 2019 and looks to be dullest in a few years.

I would very much agree with this. After a sunny Spring this June has been disappointing overall. We've had a few scattered really good days this month but quite many cool, cloudy, damp and even cold days with very little sunshine outside of the few warm days we've had.

June 2019 was notably worse particularly due to the non ending cold that dominated the first 3 weeks of that month, I also remember several days in Dublin with grey misty skies and sheets of rain and 11C.

June 2020 has certainly been a significant pattern change over the Spring since June 3rd and the month looks like it's going to finish wetter than average here in Meath with temperatures either average overall or slightly above.

Hopefully we do see this much talked about July improvement. By the 2nd week of July we will all be sick of the unsettled conditons and will be looking to get our summer back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Gonzo wrote: »
    Plenty more rain over the next 7 to 10 days, temperatures generaly in the 12 to 18C range.

Second week of July could be a transitional week from unsettled to something more settled. At the moment any signs of the weather settling down and warming up is at the extreme ends of FI or in the form of long range weather charts. There is no guarantee that the current unsettled conditions will end in July or that they will continue. Looks fairly certain the next one to two weeks will be largely dominated by the Atlantic and alot of cool and unsettled conditions.

Will the next few days up to Wednesday be mainly dry in the south of the country?

The south looks like escaping the worst of the rain and showers over the next 3 days but showers will still be around, it's not guaranteed to be dry anywhere over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Did you get enough rain around your parts to end the drought?

Yes only since Tuesday last the noticeable difference. Ground still rock would take a lot more rain tbh and I don’t want a long term heatwave r dry weather a few days of both b Great r showers every few days

Forecast looks dismal in Dublin for next two days. More rain + high of wait for it 12 degrees!

We are up to 59mm for month at Dublin airport + that's before today's rain is counted+ plenty to come over next few days.

A wet month for so called summer!

71.6mm at Dunsany up to yesterday not including last nights very heavy showers and todays torrential showers. Mean temperature is 13.7C which is half a degree above average, i'll expect that to come down over the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A right pig of a day and the next week doesn^t look much better - I'll be glad to see the back of this month!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Next month will be the same for first half too. Maybe quitens down a bit then. Get through the next 2 weeks and we may see more pleasant conditions for a few days but that Spring is a distant memory now and was easily our Summer and better than most of our Summers in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Highs of 12 and 13 for next couple of days in Dublin and 30km/h winds, lol, it's nearly July ffs

next two days look very unsettled and cool. Some high rainfall totals possible across the northern half of the country particularly the north-west.

Daytime high's tomorrow between 10 and 14C.

42-580UK.GIF?27-18

Northern half of the country looks very wet over the next 48 hours with up to 60mm of rain expected in some northern and north-western areas. Much lighter rain expected across the south.

51-777UK.GIF?27-18

On Monday temperatures will struggle to get much beyond 11 or 12C, maybe 13 or 14C in a few spots if there are any sunny breaks.

45-580UK.GIF?27-18

Could be quite windy as well tomorrow with strong gusts in places up to 70km/h and 100km/h along the north-west coast.

arpegeuk-11-28-0.png?27-18

A fairly lousy week coming up, however from next week things may start to dry out a bit and it should become warmer once we get this cool and unsettled week out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

pauldry wrote: »
    Next month will be the same for first half too. Maybe quitens down a bit then. Get through the next 2 weeks and we may see more pleasant conditions for a few days but that Spring is a distant memory now and was easily our Summer and better than most of our Summers in Sligo

That’s takes us to mid July
    It’s always the week after next

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Strike apparently near me in Galway, Torrential downpours all evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Highs of 12 and 13 for next couple of days in Dublin and 30km/h winds, lol, it's nearly July ffs

Yep really pathetic temperatures for end of June.

We need the Atlantic to quieten down. No more dirty lows hanging around between Iceland and Ireland after next week. They can come back in September.
    Come on the Azores high, come on a scandi high. We want our summer back.

degsie wrote: »
    It rained for all of 10s in west Dublin today yesterday!

https://www.facebook.com/115071508505532/posts/3359134640765853/

Not in Sligo

Mid July looks way better.

I'd say mid to end of July will be quite good in Munster and Leinster

Always more cloud near West and North so we will get a few good days but rain others.

But this? No these next few days will be bad and there is another nasty low in a few more days and possibly one more final one then the High comes back and I'd say that will be all the cold dirty lows till late August but August is monsoon but people more knowledgeable than me here say August will be good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

pauldry wrote: »
    Mid July looks way better.

I'd say mid to end of July will be quite good in Munster and Leinster

Always more cloud near West and North so we will get a few good days but rain others.

But this? No these next few days will be bad and there is another nasty low in a few more days and possibly one more final one then the High comes back and I'd say that will be all the cold dirty lows till late August but August is monsoon but people more knowledgeable than me here say August will be good

Hope you are right pauldry. Don’t mind if we get rain in the form of showers or thunderstorms pushing up from the bay of biscay in late July and August, just don’t want it to be from the Atlantic for obvious reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement