Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I did a little analysis of comparing previous January to May periods at Casement for mean wind speeds with 2020 a few weeks ago and that data said January to May 2020 was the windiest such period at Casement since 2014, with a mean speed of 11.4 kts. Only January to May 2008/2014 are comparable to 2020 since 2003. All pale in comparison to January to May 1990 though which saw a mean speed in excess of 16 kts - 1990 had a very dry spring and poor June too ;)

So it has definitely been windier than what we've been used to this century so far, wonder how January to June will compare.

Data from Met E.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sunny spells this morning in cork city, chilly wind around aswell. At least it's dry.. for now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Pretty wintery weekend.
    This is our climate.
    As sure as night follows day - after a record breaking dry and sunny spring - this spell of weather was inevitable.

Yet, when I and others posted as much back in May and that people should get out and make the most of it if they could, we were angrily snapped at by posters calling us negative.
    And some of those same posters are busy moaning how they can't get out of the house now....go figure!

I enjoyed that spell of weather in my back garden and the local roads . After work . In the evenings which were still relatively short
    There are no parks or hill walks within 5km
    I abided by the restrictions . I waited and hoped that in summer I would be able to enjoy them with my families at the weekends in particular.

Last time I checked this was a weather forum and the thread relates to Summer weather. Summer starts in June. I am updating the weather from my area. It has been an awful June which has been very frustrating as it has become another form of lockdown.
    We have grabbed the occasional day /evening here and there . However my wife is working all week so as a family weekends are important. It’s been raining and very windy since Friday night . It is depressing .

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭boetstark

120 eur worth of flowers battered and in bits. Summer my hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Awful June in East Galway too. A bit of rain I can deal with but add to that weekend after weekend of strong winds and heavy rain. I put a lot of time and effort into my garden when there wasn't much else to do during lockdown so was making the most of the dry weather but it seems all my good work has gone down the swanny as I watch all my plants get blown about the place.

Hopefully July has something better in store.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Pretty wintery weekend.
    Yet, when I and others posted as much back in May and that people should get out and make the most of it if they could, we were angrily snapped at by posters calling us negative.
    And some of those same posters are busy moaning how they can't get out of the house now....go figure!

During the final week of the Spring dry spell I did say several times to go outside and try and make the most of it. Once the first low starting moving from Iceland towards Ireland I knew this was going to be more than just 2 or 3 days of poor weather, then another low followed, and then another, and all of a sudden the Atlantic was back. We started juggling one slow moving low from the north after another and they seemed very keen to set up shop to our south-west and now a fairly strong zonal pattern is back in control.

I do think we will get some nice sunny weather in July but I don't think it's going to be weeks on end of blue skies and mid twenties. We may have another attempt from the Azores around the 5th or 6th of July but it may not last all that long as it will have a fairly energetic Atlantic to displace.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Awful June in East Galway too. A bit of rain I can deal with but add to that weekend after weekend of strong winds and heavy rain. I put a lot of time and effort into my garden when there wasn't much else to do during lockdown so was making the most of the dry weather but it seems all my good work has gone down the swanny as I watch all my plants get blown about the place.

Hopefully July has something better in store.

that's exactly what I've been doing. My garden has been in a terrible state over the past few years and I've spent most of the Spring dry spell fixing up the garden during the lockdown and there is still a good deal of work. This work has come to a screeching halt and is half finished, I am hoping for a few settled weeks between now and the end of August, the settled weeks may not be continuous, might have to try and bank on a few attempts from the Azores and make the most of any dry weather that's going. We are very unlikely to get another very prolonged spell of dry weather this summer.

Today definitely has a feeling of mid Autumn, it's very windy, it's cold, it's damp and the garden has quite a few leaves on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Currently just 10 degrees at Knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

What makes you think July might improve Gonzo? Models can't predict 3 days ahead lately never mind 3 weeks.. same in winter, snow is always 2 weeks away but never comes

US2 wrote: »
    What makes you think July might improve Gonzo? Models can't predict 3 days ahead lately never mind 3 weeks.. same in winter, snow is always 2 weeks away but never comes

I'm not guaranteeing a better July. It does look like we may get a ridge from the Azores around the 6th of July that may provide 2 to 4 days of nice weather, after that it looks like the Atlantic rolls back in. This could be followed by another attempt from the Azores later in the month.

It is very unlikely that the weather will stay as unsettled, cool and windy as it is at the moment throughout the whole summer without interruption. Next week won't be settled but it doesn't look as bad as this week, we will start to see improving temperatures and more in the way of sunshine. The azores building from the 5th or the 6th of July could easily fall apart or may fail to reach and include Ireland, nothing is guaranteed when it comes to the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

Gonzo.. If that azores is only capable of influencing us for a mere 2 days it would be better off staying south.. Ha ha
    5 days might just do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The wind is farcical. And rainfall at 90mm for the month so far in Cork, not far off last year now at this stage and over 110% of normal with a few days to go in the month. Just horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭OldRio

Currently just 10 degrees at Knock.

Same in Leitrim. To be honest the heating has just gone on. We're at 27 hours of rain at the moment. An Orange weather warning for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Delighted with the weather this weekend. Today has been invigorating! Working out in it all morning, and loving it. Fresh and cool. Sorry for all you more traditional summer lovers, but I'm thankful for every day that is not warm. Wind seems far noisier than the measurements would indicate, must be because of the leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gale gusts several times a minute here in Dublin 15, fair bit of debris and garden materielle gone for a hop, surprised there wasn't a yellow warning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I got out for a run yesterday before the monsoons came but the noise of the wind in my gaf is keeping me indoors today. The outlook is grim too. I need to meditate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Delighted with the weather this weekend. Today has been invigorating! Working out in it all morning, and loving it. Fresh and cool. Sorry for all you more traditional summer lovers, but I'm thankful for every day that is not warm. Wind seems far noisier than the measurements would indicate, must be because of the leaves.

Hey+_4b659a4c253a09305c4a4cef154d393c.jpg

gusts getting louder here in Meath and raining. Second day in the a row I won't be going outside the door. Fire is set for this evening. At this stage I don't have many sticks or coal left so will have to use it sparingly over the next few days.

Next few days will remain cool but the rain does not look as bad as what we've had over the past 3 days. Should be able to get back to walking an hour a day from tomorrow in between the showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

Cycling up in the wicklow mountains today. Gales were as bad or worse than your average winter storm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Went outside to leave things in the shed. Soaked in the wind and rain in 1 second. 11c

December was 12c.

Roll on Winter quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

EIDL 281300Z 25026KT 1400 RA BKN007 OVC013 12/11 Q0994

Donegal airport at 2pm. South westerly wind blowing 26 knots ,only 1400 meters vis in moderate rain. Broken cloud at 700 feet ,overcast at 1300 feet. Temperature 12 .dew point 11. Now thats a rotten day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

If you are looking for drier / better weather in Ireland, cork is definitely not the place to be. I remember a colleague of mine from cork city saying when he moved to Dublin he couldn't believe how dry and sunny it was in comparison. He found cork weather so miserable.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    The wind is farcical. And rainfall at 90mm for the month so far in Cork, not far off last year now at this stage and over 110% of normal with a few days to go in the month. Just horrible.

If you are looking for drier / better weather in Ireland, cork is definitely not the place to be. I remember a colleague of mine from cork city saying when he moved to Dublin he couldn't believe how dry and sunny it was in comparison. He found cork weather so miserable.

Why is that ? Is Cork worse than the West ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Kutebride

The most dismal day in Summer.
    Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sister has also moved to Dublin, weather is a lot better up there then down here. We get a lot of days of constant drizzle that while don't lead to much moisture, you can't really go out in it still. Similar enough to the west it seems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Walnut Salad

I have to take a week off in July. Am I right in saying that the 2nd half of July looks more promising?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes today is definitely one of the worst Summer days I remember since 1985 and 1986. When there were many.

There was a day a few years ago on June Bank Holiday that was 8c and wet but it stopped in the evening. Today is so windy and wet and cold.

There wont be a day this bad this Summer bar half of tomorrow

I have to take a week off in July. Am I right in saying that the 2nd half of July looks more promising?

the long range models are looking hopeful for a better second half to July but that's well outside the reliable timeframe, so I would approach that view with caution. The Atlantic is back in control for now and it remains to be seen if we will quieten things down somewhat during July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Windy but sunny in Arklow currently
    No rain today
    Peak of 16.5c
    Not a bad day here tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

This muther****ing wind is driving me crazy. June was nothing but wind. Just absolute crap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement