Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes today is definitely one of the worst Summer days I remember since 1985 and 1986. When there were many.

There was a day a few years ago on June Bank Holiday that was 8c and wet but it stopped in the evening. Today is so windy and wet and cold.

There wont be a day this bad this Summer bar half of tomorrow

What about 2012? I remember plenty of days similar to this in 2012.
    To be honest the summers of 07-12 were fairly shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mace Head gusting 49 knots at 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Have two and a half weeks off coming up from later this week. Gutted if the whole time the weather is like this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today is as bad of a summer day as I've ever seen. Strong gusts and squalls of rain with twigs and leaves blowing around on the road. Current temperature 12C but feels more like 7 or 8C. No difference to a wet winter's day except for the daylight length.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

First cosy fire in June lit. Some ash logs, turf and a little anthracite. Nice and comfortable. Wind is howling across a slate grey sky in North East Laois...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Blowing a gale here in Kildare. With trees so full this time of year, does the chance of them blowing over increase compared to winter when they are empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I think south west, west and northwest get the brunt of bad weather. Showers tend to lose some intensity as they cross the country, many are gone by the time they reach the east
    Why is that ? Is Cork worse than the West ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Neddyusa wrote: »
    What about 2012? I remember plenty of days similar to this in 2012.
    To be honest the summers of 07-12 were fairly shocking.

Yes those Summers were very bad indeed but cold and rain in my memory came in daily doses of 10mm or less most times bar some very wet days that were thundery rain and not 11c and gale force winter low

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Watching news here + can barely hear presenter due to interference from wind outside government building.

Having your house lights on at 5pm on summer evening is very depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes those Summers were very bad indeed but cold and rain in my memory came in daily doses of 10mm or less most times bar some very wet days that were thundery rain and not 11c and gale force winter low

What about the great June deluge of 7/8 June 2012?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Clear blue sunny sky in Arklow this evening
    Windy
    Currently 14.5c

sryanbruen wrote: »
    What about the great June deluge of 7/8 June 2012?

Oh yes. Floating car. Was that June? Yes there was 78mm of rain here those days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some rainfall in the the Northern end of the country.

Current radar

Vb7jicj.png

24 hr accumulations

IzWSyi4.png

https://twitter.com/DonegalWeatherC/status/1277277387399593986?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Wind howling squally showers lights on in the house. 28th June Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

Dont fret...The azores is on the way.
    Wind howling squally showers lights on in the house. 28th June Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Fire lit here for the past 2 hours, neighbours house also has smoke coming from the chimney. Still very gusty here in Meath with spells of rain every few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Solid rain on my place near Belmullet for nearly 48 hrs at this stage - outlook not up to much either:(. Glad I made the most of the fine spring!!

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

This weekend was a write off westher wise! One word Awful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

alentejo wrote: »
    This weekend was a write off westher wise! One word Awful

I spent it doing paper work and catching up on "indoor" jobs ie. the kind of stuff you don't want to be doing during a fine day

Over 140mm for June now in Sligo. Went from being one of the drier June's to the wetter ones in 72 hours

75mm in the past 3 days....so far still 3 hours of today left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Densefog2008

Crying out for rain in north Carlow still. 39mm for June and a measly 82mm total for April , May & June. Mad mad little country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

One of the most miserable summer weekends I can remember, pouring down non stop since yesterday morning and I haven't stepped foot outside the front door since Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I spent it doing paper work and catching up on "indoor" jobs ie. the kind of stuff you don't want to be doing during a fine day

Me too, doing indoor jobs, painting stairs today, but the thing is, i find i am getting so much indoor jobs done around the house, because the weather is so shocking all the time.

Im running out of jobs to do.......
    Just want to sit out back garden for a few days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I call this 'Gonzo weather'.

As grim as this weather is, one thing it isn't is cool or cold, despite temps struggling to make it into the low teens.

New Moon

Around 40mm plus of rain in Finner and Newport today

That's pathetic. Sure we had that in Sligo town on Friday morning in 4 hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

All I can say is that today is literally the opposite of this day two years ago, it couldn't be more different! Windy, cold, mostly cloudy and occasional showers whereas this day two years ago had unbroken sunshine and hot weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Been a cold wet day today with wind coming in off the Atlantic.

123mm this month with nearly half of that in the last week.
    North Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

All things considered (time of year, expected day length etc) I think today was the most depressing day since last August. Pissing rain, gales, lights on at 5pm, blinds drawn after 7 and nowhere to go to escape it :D Happy June 2020 everyone. It will not be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

km79 wrote: »
    All things considered (time of year, expected day length etc) I think today was the most depressing day since last August. Pissing rain, gales, lights on at 5pm, blinds drawn after 7 and nowhere to go to escape it :D Happy June 2020 everyone. It will not be missed

The only thing I liked about June was the heat, humidity and thunderstorms last Thursday and Friday and the first three days of the month. The rest was awful autumnal sh*te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

esposito wrote: »
    The only thing I liked about June was the heat, humidity and thunderstorms last Thursday and Friday and the first three days of the month. The rest was awful autumnal sh*te.

Bank holiday weekend was excellent to be fair. Proper summer weather. In summer.Pity people were wishing it away

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement