Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

km79 wrote: »
    Bank holiday weekend was excellent to be fair. Proper summer weather. In summer.Pity people were wishing it away

The saturday and sunday of the bank holiday were actually in May,hard to believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Bank holiday weekend was excellent to be fair. Proper summer weather. In summer.Pity people were wishing it away

Why a pity?? It's not like it has any actual effect on the weather or your enjoyment of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Yeah all that nonsense panic talk of drought and hosepipe bans looming when most of us knew deep down that the rain was never far away. This is Ireland after all. We get plenty of it every year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dunsany now on 84.7mm up to yesterday. We are now wetter than June 2019, however the overall mean is still half a degree above average. Many of the stations around the country are now in the high 80's for rainfall with a few gone past 100mm already. I suspect by the end of this month many northern, western and some eastern stations will be past 100mm for the month of June.

In terms of wet and unsettled weather this June is now worse than June 2019, but in terms of temperature we are still a little ahead of last June.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

esposito wrote: »
    Yeah all that nonsense panic talk of drought and hosepipe bans looming when most of us knew deep down that the rain was never far away. This is Ireland after all. We get plenty of it every year.

Yup a lot of us know that Mother Nature always balances the books here in Ireland handsomely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Today did seem like being transported back in time to those bleak days in June 2012.
    However, the frowns will hopefully be replaced by smiles around the end of the first week of July

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Summer Outlook for 2020 -- In general, expect a near average summer with perhaps a slight bias to warmth, and near average amounts of rainfall. There will probably be a few warm to hot spells mixed in, but not dominating the entire season. It may be somewhat more unsettled in June and early July than later in the summer. Warmth may persist well into September as there is a signal for a warm autumn in general. For those who like thunderstorms, I think the chances are about average but would note that sometimes a near normal pattern is good for the production of one or two good events. So in summary, a bit of everything can be expected and no dominant theme, but as I like to offer forecasts in probability terms, I would add that there is a bigger chance of this "busting" towards warm/dry than cool/wet, so would set the odds at one in five for a cool, wet theme, about 50% for near average and 30% for warm/dry. That might also be a guide to the relative frequency of these different patterns during the summer ahead.

So far, bang on the money..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yup a lot of us know that Mother Nature always balances the books here in Ireland handsomely

As far as sunshine in Ireland is concerned, Mother Nature balances the books here in Ireland like a particularly sadistic loan shark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Another autumn morning. Very dull breezy and 11 degrees with the threat of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

At the moment Sryan Cool/Wet is running at 3 in 5 or about 60%. Other than that MT is never far off. Would you agree or disagree as a weather buff..
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    So far, bang on the money..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

66mm of rain in dublin which is lower rainfall than 2019 and 2017. 2018 was exceptionally dry with only 4mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still raining in Donegal.. 48 hours and counting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another beautiful October morning. Still cold, still windy + still raining/drizzly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This constant wind is a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Still raining in Sligo. About 3 says straight. River is nearly approaching the heights in February, right up to the top of the weir in the middle of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Damp and drizzly in Castlebar. Not as windy. Horrible day once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My house is cold today, first time in a while, I refuse to turn the heat on but God, it's pretty much July.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

So yesterday is over at last

53.6mm in Newport

44.4mm in Finner

The worst Summer Day for manys a long year

Today's just a normal crap day

But get through the last week of June and most of next week and we will have some drier days then

My house is cold today, first time in a while, I refuse to turn the heat on but God, it's pretty much July.

I'm the same didnt feel it last few days but for some reason it is today. It isn't any colder today is it lack of heat over last few days building up I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm the same didnt feel it last few days but for some reason it is today. It isn't any colder today is it lack of heat over last few days building up I wonder?

I think sunshine warms my house up and there's been feck all lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It looks like I will be burning some oil this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm feeling chilly as well.

I can't remember which year it was - sometime around 1992/3 I think when we had an brief arctic plunge in June/July and I think it got down to about 5/6 degrees in a gale.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

There was one year at the Oxegen music festival when it got single digit figures during the day also if I recall collectly, a really horrible day. May have been 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I’m no scientist but I imagine your right. All those blocks and bricks take a while to warm up and a while to cool down. No heat left in them now. Also no sun coming through the window.

Terrible day again in south west Dublin. Cool, damp, windy, gloomy. May as well put up the Christmas tree at this stage and be done with “summer”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Today is absolutely pants. The fine spring has been long forgotten at this stage after the first 4 weeks of "summer" proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Was just saying the same here
    It feels cold today

KungPao wrote: »

May as well put up the Christmas tree at this stage and be done with “summer”.

Brilliant! I think this might be best ever quote on summer weather forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Is it still Summer? I hadn't noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just shy of 100mm of rain now in Castlebar since Saturday and it is still falling, the heat is on today for the first summer in I do not know how many years.

It is possible that Newport will break its June rainfall record along with already breaking its February record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Xenji wrote: »
    Just shy of 100mm of rain now in Castlebar since Saturday and it is still falling, the heat is on today for the first summer in I do not know how many years.

It is possible that Newport will break its June rainfall record along with already breaking its February record.

53.6mm at Newport yesterday is a new June daily rainfall record beating 39.9mm on 22 June 2004.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement