Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

sryanbruen wrote: »
    53.6mm at Newport yesterday is a new June daily rainfall record beating 39.9mm on 22 June 2004.

But they may have left it too late to beat the monthly sryan....you got the figures for Wettest June's?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another cold, damp and miserable day with slate grey skies and drizzely muck, gound is becoming saturated from so much rain over the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Don't forget now lads that hose pipe ban still on so dont be off watering those plants!

Ffs only in Ireland. Thank god no tourists this year we would look like gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

pauldry wrote: »
    But they may have left it too late to beat the monthly sryan....you got the figures for Wettest June's?

178.7mm in 2012, so it will not be far off if this keeps up today.

Could they reintroduce a rainfall ban like we had during lockdown?

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    178.7mm in 2012.

They are not going to beat that as they need 38mm today ....though they've had 22mm so far.

God Newport is wet spot isnt it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

pauldry wrote: »
    They are not going to beat that as they need 38mm today ....though they've had 22mm so far.

God Newport is wet spot isnt it

Newport and Valentia are probably out there on their own as the two wettest official stations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

several stations across the west and north are now reporting June rainfall totals of more than 100mm with many others across the country between 85 and 95mm of rain. Many of the stations have had the majority of their June rainfall over the past 7 to 10 days.

The good news is that the weekend deluges are tampering off now and the next few days shouldn't be quite as wet. The next 7 to 10 days look set to remain unsettled but there should be a drying trend as we head into the first half of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Freezing in Cork, like autumn ffs. Did we already have our summer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The cold is really noticeable today and the wind and that horrible slate grey Irish sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Turned the heating on for a few hours earlier....Probably will be back on later again.

What the hell is going on, 29th June. Lets just get through this week and hope for the fabled warming up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another cloudy but dry day in Dublin 5. Not a good June by any stretch but most days have been pretty dry here at least. Have been in the park today and no rain

up to a few days ago I was thinking this will turn out to be an average June considering we haven't really had any settled weather since June the 2nd. We've had about 4 or 5 decent days of warm sunshine through the entire month and the first 2 of those were the end of the Spring dry spell on the 1st and 2nd of June.

The past 4 days has definitely shifted my overall image of this June to a poorer than average June. I didn't think it could be as bad as June 2019 but now it's really shaping up to be every bit as bad as that month and wetter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My house is cold today, first time in a while, I refuse to turn the heat on but God, it's pretty much July.

Had my heating on the last 5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

I wouldn't say it's sunny, but it is brightening up a bit here in North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Weather map from this day 2 years ago. 31.1c reached in Shannon, 29.4c at Oak Park with a general average of 26.0c over the rest of the country:

3R4nA3B.png

2 years later at 5.50pm, I am thinking of having to turn on the lights as it is so overcast and dark.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

At least today is dry .
    Next weekend of course looks wet

km79 wrote: »
    At least today is dry .
    Next weekend of course looks wet

I thought there was a gradual improvement next weekend?

According to yr.no which was spot on last weekend
    I can expect an inch of rain all day Friday and then lighter rain all weekend

Still a bit away but not promising

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Another low pressure to our north looks to push in across Ireland. Pressure rise looking generally slower and more transient than a few days prior.

Background teleconnections not great either, all flat westerly crap. My eyes are still on mid-July of seeing a big improvement but always got to keep our expectations grounded, this is Ireland after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Another low pressure to our north looks to push in across Ireland. Pressure rise looking generally slower and more transient than a few days prior.

Background teleconnections not great either, all flat westerly crap. My eyes are still on mid-July of seeing a big improvement but always got to keep our expectations grounded, this is Ireland after all.

I was watching a US forecast video the other night (more from an agricultural perspective) and the narrator showed a correlation map for summer's with a warm Siberian region. The correlation map showed lower than average heights over NW Europe for the summer period, which could be a bit worrying. I'll try and root out that vid and post it here. The video was like an US version of GavsWeatherVids.

Edit: This is the vid I think:

New Moon

next week may be slightly better than this week but it will still be basically unsettled/mixed with a flat westerly zonal scene.

Over the past few days the models have been flirting with the azores for a few days from the 6th of July but already the models are backing away from this and keeping the Atlantic going right up to the middle of July, keeping things generally cool and unsettled with maybe the odd dryer and milder day in between.

I am still remaining hopeful for a serious improvement into the second half of July, the long range models still look decent but with the Atlantic now back with plenty of energy we may need a bit of luck to see things settling down into the second half of July for more than a few days at a time. We shall wait and see.

So after two days indoors we decided to head out for walk this evening. Given the weather we decided to stay local + went on one of our lockdown routes.

We were just saying how mad it was that it was colder + windy than at any point during lockdown. The walk has a lovely bench we used to stop at half way as it was a suntrap. Well there was no stopping at it today with the wind!

Met Eireann app is showing lots of rain again for Fri, Sat, Sun.another washout weekend unless things change for better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I went for a jog in St Anne's park in D5 and the wind was an absolute mare, it seems to have calmed down a bit now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I was watching a US forecast video the other night (more from an agricultural perspective) and the narrator showed a correlation map for summer's with a warm Siberian region. The correlation map showed lower than average heights over NW Europe for the summer period, which could be a bit worrying. I'll try and root out that vid and post it here. The video was like an US version of GavsWeatherVids.

Just had a look and does look a very poor July synoptic. I was thinking maybe there's some La Nina basis to this but if anything the years lean towards El Nino except 2007 and 2010 at first sight, another unique thing of 2020?

Coincidental? I think there should be something that drives such a pattern as it is quite the correlation. A lot of them seem to be recent too.

It’s is genuinely cold in the house . Tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie on for first time in months . And still feel cold
    Sad times

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

That's bad news Gonzo. The summer is slipping away. In 2013 the good spell started now and kinda fell away in mid July. I was in holiday in Crimea so I remember it well. You would be expecting a slippage as late as mid July rather than a big improvement. It's looking very dodgy now for my good old hay field.. The summer constantly getting pushed back is bad bad news.. Such is life..

Dark cool breezy night. Noticeable how dark it is on the longest days it’s soul destroying.

• Advertisement

eon1208 wrote: »
    That's bad news Gonzo. The summer is slipping away. In 2013 the good spell started now and kinda fell away in mid July. I was in holiday in Crimea so I remember it well. You would be expecting a slippage as late as mid July rather than a big improvement. It's looking very dodgy now for my good old hay field.. The summer constantly getting pushed back is bad bad news.. Such is life..

yep the return to settled and warm conditions is getting moved on a bit it seems, we were hoping for it during the second half of June, then the start of July and now the middle of July. We still have from mid July all to play for so hopefully we will have a few decent attempts from the azores between now and early September.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement