Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep the return to settled and warm conditions is getting moved on a bit it seems, we were hoping for it during the second half of June, then the start of July and now the middle of July. We still have from mid July all to play for so hopefully we will have a few decent attempts from the azores between now and early September.

That's a worry, the closer we get to August the worse the chances of nice Summer weather IMO. I cannot remember a decent August.:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So we've a two week window left where we might get some half decent weather, as August just never works. Oh well at least we had the Spring, it's just so disappointing in our so called summer, it's the only time of year where the weather really gets to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I gave in and put the stove on, not because its very cold, but just to put a bit of life in the place. Still misty and wet here in Castlebar with a low cloud base.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

A glimmer of hope - bbc weather forecast just there seem confident of high pressure moving up toward the UK and Ireland around the middle of next week although he did say the north and west would be at risk of some rain. So if you’re in the south and east much better chance of drier weather next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »
    It’s is genuinely cold in the house . Tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie on for first time in months . And still feel cold
    Sad times

My God, what a petal you are. Just back from a walk out the country and despite the bleakness, it feels pleasantly mild out, and I was just wearing a short sleeve shirt.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there hasn't been much rain today in Meath but it's been chilly, misty and slate grey skies with spits of drizzle all day. Fire lit again this evening, even last June we had stopped lighting the fire by this stage as the final week of June 2019 became much warmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Seven Septs

So we've a two week window left where we might get some half decent weather, as August just never works. Oh well at least we had the Spring, it's just so disappointing in our so called summer, it's the only time of year where the weather really gets to me.

Not just singling out yourself but this 'monsoon' August thing needs to be knocked on the head. August 2010, August 2016 (a bit wet but warm) were decent off the top of my head. From the 80s to 2007 August was often the best summer month. 1984, 1990, 1991, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 all good to very good summer months.

I feel August will be our summer month this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Pretty much the same here today Gonzo.
    Although on Saturday morning i was expecting it ti be a bit better by now.
    This evening 2 years ago we stacked a few fields of square bales and had a few beers outside afterwards.
    11c outside now, what a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Seven Septs

A few nice Augusts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Today was a grand day in Donegal

Windy but dry in morning

Overcast with sunny spells in afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    My God, what a petal you are. Just back from a walk out the country and despite the bleakness, it feels pleasantly mild out, and I was just wearing a short sleeve shirt.

You were moving whilst out walking, hence warmed up. Sitting in my house all evening in my shorts and pop socks, legs and feet are freezing & ive been too cold to get up lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I was unfortunately sitting working on the laptop all evening
    Hence I said it was cold in the house and had to put on tracksuit and hoodie
    The room I work in is an upstairs south facing dormer so it’s very unusual for me to to have to wear a jumper even in winter !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

km79 wrote: »
    At least today is dry .
    Next weekend of course looks wet

It wasnt dry back in your old haunt, crappy misty day here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

It wasnt dry back in your old haunt, crappy misty day here today.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well I don't know what country you where out walking in but certainly not Ireland if you were in a short sleeve shirt.

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

The brent geese arrived this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Sunshine hours recorded for today Monday 29/6/20

Shannon 0
    Belmullet 0
    Casement 0

Cork Airport 5.4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

First night back at 5-a-side and it was grand. Breezy and notably dark (could have done with floodlights towards 10 pm) but no complaints. Yeah today was chilly but there is no such thing as a "normal" end-of-June temperature, only the average of a noisy dataset with points above and below this value. Last week we were above it, this week below. It evens itself out in the end, as sure as night follows day. No point continually moaning about it to the point of desperation. Chillax [/pun].

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

. Just back from a walk out the country and despite the bleakness, it feels pleasantly mild out, and I was just wearing a short sleeve shirt.

I was walking along a beach today. I had the beach to myself due to the weather. I do enjoy walking on a beach no matter the weather - well, maybe not in storm force 10 winds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Clare County Board meeting in Ennis this evening more closely resembled a McGrath Cup game in January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Definitely no short sleeves in Donegal today, went to the beach for a walk in the evening and it felt positively cold with the strong north westerly breeze sweeping in off the Atlantic, was nearly regretting not taking my winter jacket :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Past 3 days could have been pulled out of some of the worst summers I remember eg. 2012, 02, 98, 86 etc. As others have mentioned the evenings are incredibly dark too and more akin to late October then late June:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I dont think the weather has been that bad. A few days of heavy rain this month but other than that a good bit of dry weather, a few days in the mid 20s, good few in low 20s. Nowhere near the worst june that I have seen. I have been out with the kids a lot and only once got rained on this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Sat out drinking wine last night in Donegal.
    Yesterday afternoon the sun broke out and it felt quite pleasant
    Drizzle again this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

First night back at 5-a-side and it was grand. Breezy and notably dark (could have done with floodlights towards 10 pm) but no complaints. Yeah today was chilly but there is no such thing as a "normal" end-of-June temperature, only the average of a noisy dataset with points above and below this value. Last week we were above it, this week below. It evens itself out in the end, as sure as night follows day. No point continually moaning about it to the point of desperation. Chillax [/pun].

Exactly. People here seem to set themselves up for disappointment continuously with ridiculous expectations.

For me, June's been a slightly better than average month.
    Started good. Ended wet and dull. Rainfall here at 12% above normal - but most fell in heavy downpours and at night. Nowhere near as good as May obviously which was exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Last 2 weeks here have been dark, very wet and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The constant rain is getting slightly depressing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Blank slate grey sky again this morning. It wouldn't put you in a good mood anyway. East Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Rain, rain and more rain

Visibility no more than a few hundred metres this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another dry morning in Dublin 5, cloudier and cooler than you would want this time of year but once it’s dry I can live with it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement