Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

Emme wrote: »
    A dark wet miserable start to July. I think we have no choice but to write off "summer" 2020. At least the early lockdown weather was pleasant.

Sunny in East Clare, clothes out !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's so dark. It reminds me of that darkness in school classrooms in October when you're in double Irish and you have nearly the whole school year left ahead of you and your soul is completely devoid of hope... With the rain pelting off the windows. Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dull but dry in South Mayo
    Sadly expectations are now so low that I will take that even on the 1st of July :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

At this stage I'd take dry but sadly in Dublin we are not even getting that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I knew things weren't too good outside when I woke up earlier to the sound of rain dripping from the gutters. Dark, grey, wet and cool morning here in Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I have my heating on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just for a bit of sanity here, have a look at the bottom graph for e.g. Dunsany over the past while and see how the daily maximum temperatues have been evenly distributed above and below the average (and even slightly more above). That's what our weather is. There is no such thing as "normal", only a longterm average amongst a set of widely varying points. It's not as bad as is being made out here.

518455.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭adocholiday

It has been raining steadily here in South Wicklow since last night. Absolutely abysmal stuff. Whatever about the temperature at least when it's dry you can get out for a walk etc but this constant stream of rain belts is really wearing thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I'm expecting this muck to stay around for all of July an August. No doubt we will have a great sept with kids back at school..feel sorry them stuck at home since March.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hammering down rain here at Dunshaughlin and gutters overflowing again. 1st day of July 2020 a total write-off here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

It has been raining steadily here in South Wicklow since last night. Absolutely abysmal stuff. Whatever about the temperature at least when it's dry you can get out for a walk etc but this constant stream of rain belts is really wearing thin.

Radar is desperate today
    Lashing in Arklow
    6mm of unformatted rain today and rising at my station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Pure dead heat where I am and the sun is out,probably boiling for showers towards evening,has been a nice morning and afternoon so far

Pure dead heat where I am and the sun is out,probably boiling for showers towards evening,has been a nice morning and afternoon so far

Are you in Death Valley California or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Atrocious rain in Kildare at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

I hear there's a heatwave coming??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I hear there's a heatwave coming??? :D

If only wishful thinking brought good weather.

Jesus lads I've not been able to read this thread lately, it's grimmer than the COVID thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Are you in Death Valley California or something?

No just find it very close and not a breeze around,big clouds bubbling up so will prob be raining shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Lovely day in Donegal, just overcast

Just ate lunch outside.
    Beach later hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Lovely day in Donegal, just overcast

Just ate lunch outside.
    Beach later hopefully

I had a drink of water outside in Kildare, no need for a glass, I just tipped my head back and opened my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    Atrocious rain in Kildare at the moment

bone dry in Gorey
    Very wet in Arklow

• Advertisement

rain is certainly much more widespread and heavy here compared to what is shown up on the Met Eireann radar which looks light and patchy.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    If only wishful thinking brought good weather.

Jesus lads I've not been able to read this thread lately, it's grimmer than the COVID thread.

In fairness now the weather has been fairly grim in most places over the past week. I think i've seen about 5 minutes of milky sunshine in the past week. Apart from big rainfall totals the temperatures have also been low generally. I've noticed due to lack of sunlight and cool temperatures that despite the rain, the grass has barely grown here over the past week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Will do a proper comparison when monthly summary comes but as far as I can see, June was quite significantly duller than average overall with the dull final few days doing nothing to help it at all.

130.0 hrs at Dublin Apt makes it the dullest June here since 1993 so even considering the exceptional May with 295.0 hrs, this was a very poor total.

112.7 hrs at Shannon Apt makes it the dullest June there since 2012 whilst 135.3 hrs at Cork Apt makes its dullest June also since 2012.

So not a good month at all in my eyes. Junes 2019 and 2020 both in the bin of to be forgotten months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gonzo wrote: »
    In fairness now the weather has been fairly grim in most places over the past week. I think i've seen about 5 minutes of milky sunshine in the past week. Apart from big rainfall totals the temperatures have also been low generally. I've noticed due to lack of sunlight and cool temperatures that despite the rain, the grass has barely grown here over the past week.

Yeah it's very overcast as of late, north got a lot of rain. Can't disagree, not good weather.

Reading this thread though, my god, you'd swear the sky has fallen in and all hell has broken loose. Granted I haven't read alot of the last few days.

Yeah it's very overcast as of late, north got a lot of rain. Can't disagree, not good weather.

Reading this thread though, my god, you'd swear the sky has fallen in and all hell has broken loose. Granted I haven't read alot of the last few days.

It's been grim af. I use this thread to vent my frustration sometimes. It's cathartic. I'll still be out in the park later either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

The sky is literally falling in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sounds like we have gotten lucky in Mayo today!
    While it is just dull nothingness it is dry and pleasantly “warm”
    I don’t know if it actually is warm or does it just feel warm after Monday!
    I’m back in shorts and t shirt anyway so it’s grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I'm half expecting to see Jon Snow appear on the weather forecast for Met Eireann to tell us Winter is Coming!

I got my turf home just after the June Bank Holiday and at that stage I thought I wouldn't need to touch it for a few of months. I cant believe how much I have used in the last month, particularly since Friday.

Yeah it's so still in Dublin, which is nice, I'm looking forward to going for a run in this, the wind has been horrible

• Advertisement

rain really getting going here in Meath, more like a cloudburst, gutters aren't able to cope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement