Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would agree that its been a horrendous summer so far but there's always hope that August will see a significant improvement.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Would agree that its been a horrendous summer so far but there's always hope that August will see a significant improvement.

I fear this Summer is going to end up simliar to 1986 - wet throughout. Although, Gaoth Laidir has suggested this pattern we are currently in won't last much longer. So maybe August will see an improvement, but September is often the month where the Atlantic quietens down for a bit before starting up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

As the saying goes 'it's the hope that kills you!'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

One word.......Manky,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Fair play to you for your optimism but if we don't get a nice July usually no hope for August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'd say that over the last 2 weeks at least, that there has been no more than about 1 hour of sunshine here in total, if that at all. It's almost as if mama nature is giving us a whupping for all of that sunshine we had in April, May and early June.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I'd say that over the last 2 weeks at least, that there has been no more than about 1 hour of sunshine here in total, if that at all. It's almost as if mama nature is giving us a whupping for all of that sunshine we had in April, May and early June.

Yip we are the same here.

We have already had more rain in Dublin airport in July then monthly total for last 3 years + thats before today is added. It would want to change quickly or we will just be stuck in this for rest of summer.

I hate to break it to people but we had 91mm of rain last August + 104mm in Sep(Dublin airport) so I think people are better off been realistic about those months or you could be crushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

That’s the spirit!!
    appledrop wrote: »
    Yip we are the same here.

We have already had more rain in Dublin airport in July then monthly total for last 3 years + thats before today is added. It would want to change quickly or we will just be stuck in this for rest of summer.

I hate to break it to people but we had 91mm of rain last August + 104mm in Sep(Dublin airport) so I think people are better off been realistic about those months or you could be crushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A summery August won't appear out of nowhere it's got to have something to build from. A 1995 type event is very rare. If it doesn't settle in the next week or so we're fecked until the schools go back! :pac:

I'm just reporting the factual data.

Hang on until I get my canoe + go out and 'make the most of it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Indeed it does feel that way. Also that she has a mean sense of humour- giving us brilliant weather while we were all on Lockdown.
    I never thought i'd have the fire on in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Kinda weather related,
    Anybody see any Field mushrooms out yet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

driveway is starting to flood again this evening. Today's rainfall has been moderate but flooding is beginning to happen much easier now as the ground is just saturated from 10 days of almost continuous rain/downpours,drizzle and mist with only a few hours of dryness here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

ZX7R wrote: »
    Kinda weather related,
    Anybody see any Field mushrooms out yet

No none yet,Is it not a bit early for them?

No none yet,Is it not a bit early for them?

Not sure to be honest I thought the season starts around now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

just grim

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Young lads first night back at football training
    Drowned rat doesn’t even do him justice !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Indeed it does feel that way. Also that she has a mean sense of humour- giving us brilliant weather while we were all on Lockdown.
    I never thought i'd have the fire on in July.

I don't find this current spell of weather that cold at all, though there was a curiously dank chill, winterly feel to the air this morning despite temps of 11c at the time. Tried to rationalise it in my head but failed.

New Moon

I don't find this current spell of weather that cold at all, though there was a curiously dank chill, winterly feel to the air this morning despite temps of 11c at the time. Tried to rationalise it in my head but failed.

You swear it was a winter's night in my village so many fires lit there is a horrible smog horrible smell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It feels like it’s been raining forever in Galway city. Like a bad October day today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Well, some good aspects of our recent weather:

It has been mostly dry (bar a few days like today)

Mostly still (I can go for a walk with my lockdown hair intact)

Overcast, yes, but us gingers can go out midday without the need for eye watering sunscreen and sweat.

The evenings haven't drawn in yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

More good things from Autummer 2020

It's not Shleeting
    It's not hailed
    Theres no frosht
    I saw the sun on Sunday in an 80kph gale

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oh look
    It’s promised wet all day Sunday and Monday again
    Ah well there will still be 50% of the summer left the weak after next week when surely the good weather will materialize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Well, some good aspects of our recent weather:

It has been mostly dry (bar a few days like today)

Mostly still (I can go for a walk with my lockdown hair intact)

Overcast, yes, but us gingers can go out midday without the need for eye watering sunscreen and sweat.

The evenings haven't drawn in yet...
    Mostly still???? We had wind warnings the last 2 weekends??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Has there ever been a worse opening week in July

NO!!
    Perhaps we have had terrible July’s in the past.
    But this is way worse as at least back then i didn’t have to suffer watching Liverpool win the title as well!

Still wet misty and miserable even now here in D18, exactly as we were at 9am this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

If we lose the brief high as early as Monday the summer is peetering into the abyss. Forget spring.. Spring was too dry and also too chilly at times. Last week of May was savage but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Soggy. 29mm since yesterday in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

One thing about today is the freezing level is remarkably high this evening (4100 m on the 18Z at Valentia radiosonde), on a par with places in central and southern Europe. Should rise a little further to above 4200 m overnight.

519268.png

519270.png

519269.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

20200708-220505.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

One of the worst “summer” days I’ve ever experienced.

Mid July and it was more like a dirty dour November day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement