Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Well I've broke. I bought a flight to Spain at the end of the month. Wasn't going to go abroad this year but this weather has me down. Need some sun

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

One of the worst “summer” days I’ve ever experienced.

Mid July and it was more like a dirty dour November day

Not sure where your based but most of the days over the past week have been just like today. I've lost count of the number of 12+ hour rain events over the past 7 to 10 days, i think today is the 5th one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

The good news is that the hosepipe ban has been lifted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Gonzo wrote: »
    Not sure where your based but most of the days over the past week have been just like today. I've lost count of the number of 12+ hour rain events over the past 7 to 10 days, i think today is the 5th one.

Is it rain again next Monday? Or perhaps a bit sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

My friend came back from Qatar last week to get away from 50C heat that means the kids can't go outside.

Looks like a total bust here with weather being so bad that kids can hardly go outside again and temperatures not far off November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

ongarite wrote: »

Looks like a total bust here with weather being so bad that kids can hardly go outside again and temperatures not far off November.

That’s the thing - this is pretty much what we get in November December and January!

Looking forward to a bit of brightness tomorrow afternoon as this horrible system finally moves away

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

esposito wrote: »
    That’s the thing - this is pretty much what we get in November December and January!

Looking forward to a bit of brightness tomorrow afternoon as this horrible system finally moves away

For last 5 years, Nov to January are reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

ZX7R wrote: »
    Not sure to be honest I thought the season starts around now

From early August generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

One of the worst “summer” days I’ve ever experienced.

Mid July and it was more like a dirty dour November day

Nope yesterday was even worse as it rained from morning + all through the night+ last weekend +weekend before that.

Think we have had one dry day in Dublin in about 12 days.

Danzy wrote: »
    For last 5 years, Nov to January are reasonable.

Eh no. We had 173mm of rain at Dublin airport in Nov. One of wettest ever on record.

It may have been mild alright but plenty of rain last winter which to be honest is what I dread the most.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Is it rain again next Monday? Or perhaps a bit sooner?

It basically stays unsettled, maybe some dryness on Friday and Saturday. By Sunday the rain is back across the west and north-west:

ECMWF_102_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.png

On Monday it's possible we will see a heavy spell of rain with 10 to 20mm of rain crossing the country.

ECMWF_120_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.png

It stays unsettled after this as well with several more bands of rain to follow Monday's rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Gonzo you're killing me!
    However... I really do appreciate the updates 👍🏻
    Far be it from to argue with anyone willing to predict the weather but ME still have the following forecast up:

Further outlook: At present some rain is expected on Monday but there is a trend for warmer and more settled weather to become established by mid-week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Gonzo you're killing me!
    However... I really do appreciate the updates 👍🏻
    Far be it from to argue with anyone willing to predict the weather but ME still have the following forecast up:

Further outlook: At present some rain is expected on Monday but there is a trend for warmer and more settled weather to become established by mid-week.

Latest GFS seems to back up the ME forecast there.
    It shows a ridge for Tue/Wed after Mondays rain clears.

Gonzo you're killing me!
    However... I really do appreciate the updates ����

The trend for warmer and more settled weather has been in the works for the past few weeks but we just have to hope that sometime between now and the end of August it may happen.

Next week will remain unsettled but perhaps not quite as cool or as wet as this week so there is a slight warming trend I suppose. At this stage high teens sounds tropical when we've had 11 to 14C since the end of June!.

I still think the Azores will eventually get here but it may not happen till August or even September, it depends on how long more it takes us to shift the current very unsettled pattern out of the way.

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Latest GFS seems to back up the ME forecast there.
    It shows a ridge for Tue/Wed after Mondays rain clears.

just checked and it's still more or less a flat westerly. Tuesday looks drier but still a chance of some rain or showers. Wednesday does look mostly dry. Thursday we are back to wet conditions. The ridge doesn't really make it this far at any point next week, it gets close to our south-west coast on Tuesday and then pulls back out in the middle of the Atlantic by Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

You know its Summer in Ireland when....

Its brighter at night time than daytime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If tonight's ensemble mean run is onto anything, then looks like we won't be seeing any great sustained heat developing within the next 10 to 15 days:

w7mBCdc.gif

Looks as if the western region of the continent may just well warm up as we head deeper into July, which who knows, might just extend more northwards in later runs, but for now, all looks very mediocre.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Does no one like these rainy days where it doesn't stop at all? The streets are quiet, there is a refreshing air, cool at night for sleeping and everything gets a good wash (Dublin city location). I had a lovely lunch under a tree in Merrion Square today, not busy at all and felt so cosy with the rain beating down while I was sheltered. I feel like I never meet anyone who actually has nice things to say about the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Does no one like these rainy days where it doesn't stop at all? The streets are quiet, there is a refreshing air, cool at night for sleeping and everything gets a good wash (Dublin city location). I had a lovely lunch under a tree in Merrion Square today, not busy at all and felt so cosy. I feel like I never meet anyone who actually has nice things to say about the rain.

You will be ran out of this place for saying something like that!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

You will be ran out of this place for saying something like that!!!!

It seemed like it really needed to rain properly for weeks up until last week. Anytime it did, it didn't rain for long, now it's malign up for it and then some. All it does is make you wet but you dry so quickly when back inside that it isn't a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Does no one like these rainy days where it doesn't stop at all? The streets are quiet, there is a refreshing air, cool at night for sleeping and everything gets a good wash (Dublin city location). I had a lovely lunch under a tree in Merrion Square today, not busy at all and felt so cosy with the rain beating down while I was sheltered. I feel like I never meet anyone who actually has nice things to say about the rain.

I do love a good torrential downpour but not the damp crappy rain this country usually gets and even when torrential downpours occur, they seem to miss me! Another disappointment of this summer :rolleyes: (doesn't have to be peaches and rainbows for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think there may be a link between the recent bad weather and a strong pulse of the MJO, which has been loitering in Phase 1 (Africa-Indian Ocean) for the past two weeks. This seems to be affecting the Tropical Easterly Jet strength, which controls the easterly waves coming off western Africa. This may have led the Azores high to sink and extend further south and west, leading to the large Saharan Air Layer event right across the tropical North Atlantic and a moist atmospheric river around its northwestern flank and directed right over Ireland.

The MJO is forecast to shift eastwards during the next few days, which may help activate the easterly waves and disrupt the positions of the Azores high to cut off that persistent moist plume over us.

519284.gif

519281.png

519282.png

519283.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Weather actually looks worse for the rest of July with Low Pressure LIVING to the very North of Ireland so rain most if not every day in the West bar Saturday maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Dull damp misty start here. Can’t remember the last sunny bright morning we had. At least it’s not windy I guess. Yesterday was another awful day wet and dreary. The Romans knew their stuff in fairness.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The Romans knew their stuff in fairness.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Cloud broke up nicely this morning behind that front and was actually looking forward to a sunny morning; instead, a thick sheet of altostratus has just filled the sky in out of nowhere. No logical explanation as to why this would happen except spite.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s a lovely calm sunny morning somewhere
    Not in mayo

Grim

Dull, misty, damp, 14 degrees.

Another beautiful summers day in Ireland.

For those of us that have had to put on our heating we are not alone.

Poll on the journal, 1,500 people admitted that they needed to put heating on during the last week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A nice dry bright morning in Castlebar, probably the best day this month so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement