Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Xenji wrote: »
    A nice dry bright morning in Castlebar, probably the best day this month so far.
    Same in Westport with good sunny spells, after another 14.1 mm of rain yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The sun splitting the stones here in Salthill, housemate mowing the lawn, which is daft as the grass is still wet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another damp grey morning here in Meath but at least it's stopped raining for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    It’s a lovely calm sunny morning somewhere
    Not in mayo

Grim

Not bad now !
    Might get the lawn cut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

appledrop wrote: »
    For those of us that have had to put on our heating we are not alone.

Poll on the journal, 1,500 people admitted that they needed to put heating on during the last week!

I flat out refuse to turn on the heating in high summer! We use level pay for gas, and currently are at -€70. Need to get back in credit before the real cold returns or else they’ll up the monthly repayments.

Anyway, dreaming of emigrating south at this stage, this dreary weather is depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brightening slowly. Broadly though it's just one fcuking downgrade after another.

Summer 2020 RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes Summers are like snow predictions

"Next week will be warm/cold".....then its October/May

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

KungPao wrote: »
    I flat out refuse to turn on the heating in high summer! We use level pay for gas, and currently are at -€70. Need to get back in credit before the real cold returns or else they’ll up the monthly repayments.

Anyway, dreaming of emigrating south at this stage, this dreary weather is depressing.

I flat out refuse to live in a house that is not comfortably warm at all times. Whilst the upstairs heating it's switched off, usually from late spring till early/mid autumn as it never gets cool, the downstairs heating is on 24/7. If all the rooms are at are above their set temperatures, the heating system doesn't call for heat from the boiler. If it's unseasonably cold for several concurrent days during the summer, The heating might come on in one or more downstairs rooms but I don't pay heed as to if the boiler is firing. Haven't heard it on recently though.

A cold house combined with cold weather outside.... Now that's insufferable!

Some breaks in the cloud here in North kildare with light winds. Very pleasant when the sun comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I don't want to frighten anyone. But there is a big bright ball in the sky here in leixlip. I just googled it and apparently it's called the Sun.. I like it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Last April and May when we were expecting a shower of potentially catastrophic comets and meteorites to hit the earth the sky was clear. Really clear so we could see where they were aiming but luckily they passed the earth without hitting anywhere. It was just as well the sky was clear then because if the comets and meteorites decided to hit the earth now nobody would know where they were aiming for.

It's stopped raining now but still cloudy in South Kildare, I suppose if we get 2 hours without rain we will be lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sun is finally shining here in Meath and it looks bright too! Probably the first real glimse of sun I've seen in over 2 weeks perhaps. We've had a few seconds of hazy sunshine here and there over the past fortnight but no real strength in the sun till today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Lovely evening out now, fresh out but very warm out of the breeze. Long may it last.
    Emme wrote: »
    Last April and May when we were expecting a shower of potentially catastrophic comets and meteorites to hit the earth the sky was clear.
    Dont recall hearing anything about comets hitting earth but while on the subject the comet Neowise is visible during July.
    Look north/northeast during the early hours IF the skies clear, should be visible earlier in the night as the month goes on.

Screenshot-20200709-184729-com-noctuasoftware-stellarium-plus.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Nice day in Dublin 5. sun splitting a perfect blue sky. nice to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

We only got sun here in North County Dublin for about 5 mins + gone again.

Sky has changed to blue but too many clouds.

The contrast in Europe temps today sums it up:

Edinburgh 13
    Dublin 17
    London 19
    Paris 32
    Madrid 35
    Seville 39

The difference living in continental Europe vs Ireland / UK

Even New York had night time lows this week of 27 degrees! Highs of 35

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well still no sun here but at least its dry.

Out in backgarden+ we actually have tiny mushrooms growing in garden.

Never ever have they appeared in July.

Its mad, further confirmation if needed that more like autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

appledrop wrote: »
    We only got sun here in North County Dublin for about 5 mins + gone again.

Sky has changed to blue but too many clouds.

My mother near Garristown was sitting out her back a while ago and said she almost got an hour of sun. It's lovely here in Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The contrast in Europe temps today sums it up:

Edinburgh 13
    Dublin 17
    London 19
    Paris 32
    Madrid 35
    Seville 39

The difference living in continental Europe vs Ireland / UK

Even New York had night time lows this week of 27 degrees! Highs of 35

Always thought it strange that just 2 hrs on a plane brings you from gloom to guaranteed glorious weather.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Absolutely. Also Paris and London less than 300 miles apart and over the past week Paris is often up to 10 degrees warmer. Today 13 degree difference!

Edinburgh 13 degrees. The only consolation you can always take in Ireland is that however bad it gets, you could be in Scotland !
    Always thought it strange that just 2 hrs on a plane brings you from gloom to guaranteed glorious weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Max temperatures in Europe today.

519374.png

• Advertisement

Absolutely. Also Paris and London less than 300 miles apart and over the past week Paris is often up to 10 degrees warmer. Today 13 degree difference!

Edinburgh 13 degrees. The only consolation you can always take in Ireland is that however bad it gets, you could be in Scotland !

depends on what part of Scotland. When it comes to weather Ireland and Scotland are very close, certainly closer than Ireland and England in the summer. Sometimes eastern Scotland can have better weather than us as they have an easier time tapping into some of the heat that builds over England and Wales and less of an influence from the Atlantic, but this is not always the case. They will usually do bad on north/south divides but sometimes south-eastern Scotland can do well from a north-west to south-east split over the UK.

London's weather can often be quite similar to the weather in Paris, perhaps not quite as hot but at the moment there is a world of difference alright between both cities with the current very unsettled and cool setup over the northern quarter of Europe. Typically London is 3 to 5C warmer than Dublin on an average summer day, but more recently there has been barely any difference between Dublin and London with the Atlantic powering through the UK for the majority of this summer so far. In situations where London gets the Azores high ridging and we don't, there can often be anything up to a 10C difference between Dublin and London when they get very warm and humid southerlies off a hot continent while we get the fresh Atlantic air and no warmth to tap into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Donegal unfortunately is far closer to Scotlands climate than Dublins so I don't even get that consolation :(

Mostly grey again here today but a few brief sunny spells at times. Big improvement but still not warm enough for a t-shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Dublin-London is 288 miles/463km
    London-Paris is 213 miles/343km

Basically an hour longer on the motorway to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Max temperatures in Europe today.

519374.png

Nice to see that we can manage to get the same temperatures they get near the arctic in July:rolleyes:

Beautiful evening in Cork city. After a dull morning, the sun came out in the afternoon and has been shining since.

I gotta say I have spent a lot of time in Edinburgh and from my experience the weather tends to be very grim. It’s a city I really like but i have always found the weather awful there, Glasgow is even worse.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    depends on what part of Scotland. When it comes to weather Ireland and Scotland are very close, certainly closer than Ireland and England in the summer. Sometimes eastern Scotland can have better weather than us as they have an easier time tapping into some of the heat that builds over England and Wales and less of an influence from the Atlantic, but this is not always the case. They will usually do bad on north/south divides but sometimes south-eastern Scotland can do well from a north-west to south-east split over the UK.

London's weather can often be quite similar to the weather in Paris, perhaps not quite as hot but at the moment there is a world of difference alright between both cities with the current very unsettled and cool setup over the northern quarter of Europe. Typically London is 3 to 5C warmer than Dublin on an average summer day, but more recently there has been barely any difference between Dublin and London with the Atlantic powering through the UK for the majority of this summer so far. In situations where London gets the Azores high ridging and we don't, there can often be anything up to a 10C difference between Dublin and London when they get very warm and humid southerlies off a hot continent while we get the fresh Atlantic air and no warmth to tap into.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

lolie wrote: »
    Lovely evening out now, fresh out but very warm out of the breeze. Long may it last.

Dont recall hearing anything about comets hitting earth but while on the subject the comet Neowise is visible during July.
    Look north/northeast during the early hours IF the skies clear, should be visible earlier in the night as the month goes on.

Screenshot-20200709-184729-com-noctuasoftware-stellarium-plus.jpg

Looks really clear tonight with low humidity, will take a look later, might get some Noctilucent clouds later.

https://twitter.com/jperez1690/status/1281228230213558273?s=20

https://twitter.com/WY_Photos/status/1281190054925303809?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Nice to see that we can manage to get the same temperatures they get near the arctic in July :rolleyes:

I can imagine some Spaniard, living in a house on their north coast looking at that graphic saying that "it's nice to see that we can manage to get the same temperatures they get near Ireland in July" :rolleyes:

519378.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Sharp shower here in Arklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Donegal unfortunately is far closer to Scotlands climate than Dublins so I don't even get that consolation :(

Mostly grey again here today but a few brief sunny spells at times. Big improvement but still not warm enough for a t-shirt
    Got sunburnt in Donegal today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement