Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely day in West cork today. About 18/19 degrees on the beach with a warm breeze but quickly became chilly when the clouds covered the sun. Was cloudy as we drove towards the city but it did eventually brighten up here too! Shame the last two days were bad when I had people over but still made the most of it because its Ireland and thats what you have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Sharp shower here in Arklow

Same in Letterkenny, went for a short walk before sitting down for the evening and ended up getting soaked :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Same in Letterkenny, went for a short walk before sitting down for the evening and ended up getting soaked :rolleyes:

Yeah the leinster coastal ones just popped up at about 830pm from zero to hero
    Heres the cloud tops over the Irish sea from Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Looks really clear tonight with low humidity, will take a look later, might get some Noctilucent clouds later.

https://twitter.com/jperez1690/status/1281228230213558273?s=20

https://twitter.com/WY_Photos/status/1281190054925303809?s=20

The skies cleared here for a few minutes Sunday morning and i needed binoculars to spot it as the sky was very bright but it should be easily spotted with the naked eye in the nights ahead.
    Just need the weather to play ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

You weren’t sunburned so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

May was brilliant, but ever since then its been very very disappointing even the temperatures have been below average

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Just took a look at the FI chart thread and it is very depressing especially for us in the North and west.

Ahh well this may just be a year to forget for many reasons....

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

"Even New York had night time lows this week of 27 degrees! Highs of 35"

Not sure why you say even New York. New York has a Laurentian Climate.

One of the defining characteristics of this climate type is high summer time is exactly like the tropics :- extreme humidity and very warm temperatures.

Having lived in Beijing for awhile which has the Asian equiv of the New York climate, I can tell you summers can be chronic if you dont like "stickiness"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Beautiful blue sky in Dublin 5 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

It is actually sunny out there!

Met Eireann note that it will be cool today for this time of year, sure what's new there! But surely if sunny it will have to warm up?

Although I do see that quite windy yet again so maybe thats what will keep temperatures down.

Right I'm off to do 10 washes of clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

its actually raining out there.

Oh yeah, its still July

Gonzo, i think i would agree regarding Scotland but for me it would be more comparable to the west of Ireland in terms of rainfall. Some parts of Scotland though in the Highlands would get far worse weather than even the west of Ireland. Edinburgh is a strange one, i have been there so many times and spent a lot of time there.......It just always feels way colder over there than Dublin. I dont know if its the breeze but that and the rainfall always seems more frequent. Glasgow is really wet. Scotland for me is one of the only places with a downgrade of weather vs Ireland. I spent a bit of time in a place called Bergen in Norway too, that place sees unreal amounts of rain, however Oslo gets very warm and sometimes hot summers and very snowy winters.

As for Paris, i would find it a lot hotter than London. Sometimes during heat waves it might only be about 4 degrees warmer but usually Paris can be between 5-10 degrees warmer than London, it is much further inland and a hot day in Paris feels way hotter than London. I think during the heatwave last year or the year before it hit 44 in Paris. I dont think London has ever been higher than 37 or 38. In fact I dont think the UK has ever reached 39.

Gonzo wrote: »
    depends on what part of Scotland. When it comes to weather Ireland and Scotland are very close, certainly closer than Ireland and England in the summer. Sometimes eastern Scotland can have better weather than us as they have an easier time tapping into some of the heat that builds over England and Wales and less of an influence from the Atlantic, but this is not always the case. They will usually do bad on north/south divides but sometimes south-eastern Scotland can do well from a north-west to south-east split over the UK.

London's weather can often be quite similar to the weather in Paris, perhaps not quite as hot but at the moment there is a world of difference alright between both cities with the current very unsettled and cool setup over the northern quarter of Europe. Typically London is 3 to 5C warmer than Dublin on an average summer day, but more recently there has been barely any difference between Dublin and London with the Atlantic powering through the UK for the majority of this summer so far. In situations where London gets the Azores high ridging and we don't, there can often be anything up to a 10C difference between Dublin and London when they get very warm and humid southerlies off a hot continent while we get the fresh Atlantic air and no warmth to tap into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The sun is out well in and out. It’s an ok morning it appears to be quite cool though that annoying breeze is around. Put on shorts but thinking of changing again there’s a lot of cloud west of me. It’s a lot better than the last week but it’s very average really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

appledrop wrote: »
    But surely if sunny it will have to warm up?

It'll warm up during the day with the broken late Octoberish type sunshine, but with the general air mass over Ireland tending to be cooler than average, it is unlikely that we'll see air temps being breaking much above their average for the time of year.

bmyctdn.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yea it worrying when even Met Eireann say cooler than normal for time of year.

Hopefully though by late afternoon in well sheltered spot in garden it will feel warm.

I'll take it anyway after endless muck we have had for about 15 days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cooler today in cork city so far and dull, no blue skies today. You really appreciate the blue colour when it comes out!

Outlook for rest of July Cool and Unsettled.

In fact bar this weekend we may not see 20c again till August

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Quick bit of advice please. I had booked painters in for an external paint job next week, starting on Monday morning based on the weather forecast on met.ie earlier this week.

Just saw latest forecast and it’s all changed. Is there any chance the rain will have cleared by Monday morning? Needs a couple of days dry weather. I’m in Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Maybe we will get some heavy rains or storms. That would be more exciting than cold showery weather. Yeah Julys chances are fvcked. August you better perform better or Im going into lockdown again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pauldry wrote: »
    Outlook for rest of July Cool and Unsettled.

In fact bar this weekend we may not see 20c again till August

Many places have struggled to get much beyond 17C so far this month, a few places have managed to scrape 20C. Just wondering have we ever had a July were the maximum temperature anywhere in the country has just been 20C or 21C. It could happen this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    Many places have struggled to get much beyond 17C so far this month, a few places have managed to scrape 20C. Just wondering have we ever had a July were the maximum temperature anywhere in the country has just been 20C or 21C. It could happen this month.

Casement got to 22.0C in July 1988 but the highest all month then at Belmullet was only 16.9C. Even inland stations like Clones managed only 19.1C throughout that July.

Dunsany's max that month was 19.7C..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another autumnal day in Letterkenny with a cold wind and frequent showers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Can we stop posting bad weather reports please? I'm tired of knowing it's going to be a wet summer. ;)

What do you mean know its "going" to be?

It IS showery and cold this Summer.

Highest July temperature in Finner so far 16.3c willbe beaten this weekend.

Highest in Sligo town 16.6c will be too.

It might be 18 or 19c.

Oh wait! Was last Saturday July? It was 19.2c at 330pm in a brief sunny spell in Sligo. Itll be hard to top that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Nice day today in Galway, beautiful sunshine in the early morning, then some mist midday. Back to a sunny and pleasant evening, I'll take it. Is there anything to be said for a Child of Prague in the garden to try and save the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I wouldnt take much notice of the long range forecasts at this stage...forecast is different every couple of days for just a week ahead...just enjoy whatever we have now;)

Nicest day in ages in Dublin 5. Blue skies and sunshine, lovely to see. Weekend shaping up nicely, 20 tomorrow and 21 on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yet again Met.ie forecast mentions next week in terms quite different to Meteo Weather on BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Carol25 wrote: »
    Nice day today in Galway, beautiful sunshine in the early morning, then some mist midday. Back to a sunny and pleasant evening, I'll take it. Is there anything to be said for a Child of Prague in the garden to try and save the summer?
    Some broken watery sunshine in this part of Galway this morning but predominately cloudy since. Nice fresh, healthy feel to the air though.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement