Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

So bright out
    Such a shame it’s so cold

The long evenings are passing now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Nice day today in south Laois. With the breeze much lighter ~5mph to ~8mph all day it felt quite pleasant out in the sunshine which was reasonably generous today. Maxed at just 17.3°c but felt warmer in the strong sunshine.

For anyone complaining about how cold this July is, take a look at here: http://www.laoisweather.com/wxnoaarecords.php

2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and the second half of July 2015 were colder at this location!

For anyone who remembers, Summers 2007 to 2012 inclusive were rough.

Also of interest on that page is July 28th where 23.7°c holds the record high for that date. It was the "hottest" day of 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cool night for July. Claremorris down to 9 degrees at 11pm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I remember summers back in the 2000s where it seemed to rain every day in July .

This summer is not great in fairness. But not as terrible as some. The temps aren't great, but we have August and September yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I remember summers back in the 2000s where it seemed to rain every day in July .

This summer is not great in fairness. But not as terrible as some. The temps aren't great, but we have August and September yet.

Adding a month to summer may not even be enough to save it .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mount Dillon 7 degrees at midnight. Could get down to 4 or 5 degrees in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Wasn’t a bad evening yesterday. Was dry a bonus was bright a bonus. It was quite cool though out and about. The good weather promised by some is turning out to be exactly what met Eireann said it would be “fair weather”. And it looks like it’ll be gone tomorrow not that it’s amounting to a whole lot but it’s still better than what we’ve had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Reading met eireann's forecast this morning and it looks promising from midweek onwards

Edit- and Mt's forecast is also promising

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

We had our summer back in April for 4 days. Hope summer 2021 is better..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cold and cloudy day though thermometer says 15c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Danno wrote: »
    Nice day today in south Laois. With the breeze much lighter ~5mph to ~8mph all day it felt quite pleasant out in the sunshine which was reasonably generous today. Maxed at just 17.3°c but felt warmer in the strong sunshine.

For anyone complaining about how cold this July is, take a look at here: http://www.laoisweather.com/wxnoaarecords.php

2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and the second half of July 2015 were colder at this location!

For anyone who remembers, Summers 2007 to 2012 inclusive were rough.

Also of interest on that page is July 28th where 23.7°c holds the record high for that date. It was the "hottest" day of 2008.

Yeah. Maybe there's a lot of young posters here who don't remember 07-12?? They were brutal summers. 20 degree days were very very rare.

We've had 4 good summers out of the last 8 (13,14,16,18) so we're doing mighty now compared to that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Yeah. Maybe there's a lot of young posters here who don't remember 07-12?? They were brutal summers. 20 degree days were very very rare.

We've had 4 good summers out of the last 8 (13,14,16,18) so we're doing mighty now compared to that period.

We nearly need a thread on those run of Summers. Awful run so they were. Generally a nice spring and small run of nice weather in September but proper summer was a washout. I recall one being a bit drier bit very cool and breezy. Since 2013 I have found each Summer above average in Dublin anyway. Always stick in my mind as missed summers 05 and 06 living in sunny Oz and got all geared up for the outdoor life on return in 07!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Was 16 a good summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Was 16 a good summer?

I'm sure someone else will have the stats. It wasn't near as good as 13 or 18 but was better than average from my memory anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Was 16 a good summer?

the only thing I really remember about 2016 was the very warm start to September, got to mid to high 20's for a few days during the first week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

2016 was great in Waterford, I was working outside from early July that year and was very warm and sunny right through to early winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely day in West cork, slight breeze, blue skies and about 18/19 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Gonzo wrote: »
    the only thing I really remember about 2016 was the very warm start to September, got to mid to high 20's for a few days during the first week.

The first few days of June 2016 were spectacular from my memory. I think there was a thundery breakdown (around the 6th or 7th?) after that but I missed out on that since I went on holidays a few days before the breakdown. I remember September 2016 having oppressive heat at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Lovely day in East Galway. Out tidying up the garden in shorts and t shirt, not a scorcher by any means but when the sun pokes out from behind the clouds it heats up quickly. Few more days like this and I'll be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wasnt today meant to be 19 or 20 in all the Southern half. Nowhere near that. I guess its cooler than forecast ..... again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Just realised its been over 2 weeks since its been worth sitting out (Dublin) to get some sun, any sign of a shift or are we stuck in some jet stream funk?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Dry overcast day here again in Donegal. Only about 13c doesn't feel very warm outside with a slight breeze.
    Probably best we can really hope for at the moment though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Cloudier than I hoped it would be here in Westmeath.

Head out to the sunbed when the sun pokes out and very pleasant. Hopefully the cloud clears for a couple of hours at least.

Still sitting the sun in West cork, right on the coast. Not a breeze, few very high clouds and about 20 degrees.

Still sitting the sun in West cork, right on the coast. Not a breeze, few very high clouds and about 20 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Lovely day in Dublin 5 again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a dry day in Meath but very little sunshine but at least it's starting to feel a bit milder than it has been over the past few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Lovely day in Arklow
    Cloudy at times but mostly sunny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

pauldry wrote: »
    Wasnt today meant to be 19 or 20 in all the Southern half. Nowhere near that. I guess its cooler than forecast ..... again

It was also supposed to be mostly sunny yet it's 13C with slate grey skies all day, even had some drizzle on and off all morning. Yet another failure of a 24 hour forecast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Cloud breaking up here in Louth and looking at the satellite view we should get warmth and more sunshine to end the day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement