Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another blah day in Dublin.

Thats the only way to describe it. Not cold, not warm, no sun.

I suppose should be grateful no rain but really its now 13 July where is the sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Didn’t Phoenix park hit 26 or 27 a couple of times this year, I think late May, early June and that random very warm day around mid June between unsettled spells? I am almost certain Dublin hit 26 or 27
    Gonzo wrote: »
    It's completely inaccurate, those websites usually are.

Dublin will be chilly tomorrow and from Wednesday to next Sunday it will be mostly mid to high teens, maybe scraping 20C or 21C if Dublin get's lucky with sunshine, lack of onshore winds and cloud. Dublin rarely see's more than 24C or 25C even at the best of times during a really good ridge with winds in from the south-east.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Didn’t Phoenix park hit 26 or 27 a couple of times this year, I think late May, early June and that random very warm day around mid June between unsettled spells? I am almost certain Dublin hit 26 or 27

I think it reached 26C at one point, not sure it reached 27C, but these sort of temperatures are rare for Dublin, we seem to only reach it once or twice every few years with 2013 and 2018 being an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Last week the forecast was fine settled from the start of this week...it is now gone to practically rain all week :pac:

Back to average 14 degrees for tomorrow + Wed + lots of rain.

So depressing!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

PP hit 25c on 25th June and 26c on 2nd June also. And about 23c on 15th.

While May was extremely sunny, it was often cool enough in Dublin, especially right by the coast due to the easterly breeze.

Temps got to just 20 or a fraction above on around 8 or 9 days in total throughout the whole of April and May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

appledrop wrote: »
    Back to average 14 degrees for tomorrow + Wed + lots of rain.

So depressing!!!!!!

It ain’t all bad - 2nd half of Wednesday, Thursday and Friday will be mainly dry and warmer in the east with some sunshine at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

Couldn’t be a better start to summer 2020 weather wise here this morning. Clear blue skies blazing sunshine and warm.Its fabulous.
    You must be in a tropical part of Ireland. Lol. Not a blue spec anywhere to be seen as we traverse southwards along the Shannon. Its the 13th July and the summer is gradually getting nearer a close with nothing but mostly dark skies since June 2nd. MT forecast the 2nd half of July to improve from very early on. I hope he is proven correct as his forecasts are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

eon1208 wrote: »
    You must be in a tropical part of Ireland. Lol. Not a blue spec anywhere to be seen as we traverse southwards along the Shannon. Its the 13th July and the summer is gradually getting nearer a close with nothing but mostly dark skies since June 2nd. MT forecast the 2nd half of July to improve from very early on. I hope he is proven correct as his forecasts are great.

You should have headed south on the Avoca instead
    Beautiful over here in South Wicklow, nicely into the low 20's today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Slate grey skies in cork city (maybe about an hour of sunshine with some breaks in the clouds), was about 17 degrees today though and humid, dropped to about 15 now. Was a wet night as the ground was saturated but no rain during the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

It's been dark and miserable in South Kildare for most of the day. No rain since last night thank goodness but this has been the dullest July I remember and I lived through the "summers" of 1985 and 1986. I also remember the run of bad "summers" from 2007 to 2012. March, April and May of this year were exceptional in terms of sunshine but from 3rd June on it felt like somebody turned the lights off. Just like last August until the end of last February. From mid-June I have been taking double doses of Vitamin D which I normally do from mid-September up until the end of April when I take single doses. This is real SAD weather. We're lucky if we get 2 hours of cloud diluted sunshine in a week! Apart from fluke years like 2013 and 2018 in recent times we just don't get "summer" in Ireland as other places know it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no sun at all today, showery bits of rain over the past few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bizarre mix now of late evening lawnmowers going and a strong smell of turf fires in the air
    Its bloody mid july :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

No rain in Sligo for an hour or two now.

Wonder when is next dry day. I actually saw the sun a bit. Might be enough to bring us to 21 hours for July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

eon1208 wrote: »
    You do realise I posted this on the first of June? We’ve had 3 good days since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Emme wrote: »
    It's been dark and miserable in South Kildare for most of the day. No rain since last night thank goodness but this has been the dullest July I remember and I lived through the "summers" of 1985 and 1986. I also remember the run of bad "summers" from 2007 to 2012. March, April and May of this year were exceptional in terms of sunshine but from 3rd June on it felt like somebody turned the lights off. Just like last August until the end of last February. From mid-June I have been taking double doses of Vitamin D which I normally do from mid-September up until the end of April when I take single doses. This is real SAD weather. We're lucky if we get 2 hours of cloud diluted sunshine in a week! Apart from fluke years like 2013 and 2018 in recent times we just don't get "summer" in Ireland as other places know it.

Move to Dublin 5 or Donegal apparently they are having a cracking summer.

Speaking of 2013, my phone sent me one of those photo memories of that week 7 years ago.

I have a picture of my car thermometer at 31 degrees!

Now I know car always warmer than actually temperature outside but still.

I don't know if we have even reached 20 degrees yet this July at Dublin airport!

Lack of sunshine is just unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It reached a blistering 14.5C today in North Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

I didn't realise Lol. On holidays. The weather has me gone all confused lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Beggars bush tells a different tale!

Letterkenny has its own climate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

You do realise I posted this on the first of June? We’ve had 3 good days since.

Something strange going on with boards these past few days, it's opened this thread on that post a few times for me

Another dark sunless day in Letterkenny today, drier than expected but still some drizzle on and off. I've had the heating on every single night so far this month and have yet to leave the house in a t-shirt, looking forward to a high of 13C again tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Move to Dublin 5 or Donegal apparently they are having a cracking summer.

It depends what you consider an Irish summer to be about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Not looking forward to tomorrow’s low temperatures for summer. Thankfully it’s only one day and much warmer especially Thursday and Friday. Hopefully weekend stays dry and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

appledrop wrote: »
    Speaking of 2013, my phone sent me one of those photo memories of that week 7 years ago.

I have a picture of my car thermometer at 31 degrees!

Now I know car always warmer than actually temperature outside but still.

I don't know if we have even reached 20 degrees yet this July at Dublin airport!

Lack of sunshine is just unbelievable.

Max 20.2 on the 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

It depends what you consider an Irish summer to be about

A cracking day in Donegal is much different to the rest of Ireland.
    If its cloudy maybe with the odd shower and in the low teens, most up here would class that as a lovely day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Max 20.2 on the 4th.

Around 25c was reached in Dublin on three days in June.

Slate grey skies in cork city (maybe about an hour of sunshine with some breaks in the clouds), was about 17 degrees today though and humid, dropped to about 15 now. Was a wet night as the ground was saturated but no rain during the day

LOL. I love your alternative facts!

It rained steadily rain until 10.30am and then drizzled until 11.30. It was badly needed as according to the Met farming forecast we got 40 per cent of normal rainfall last week.

The sun came out at 2pm and was partly sunny and very warm until 5.30pm. Temperature topped out at 21 (See yesterday's observations on Met.ie). I got sunburned for the first time this year while painting the outside of my house. It was a fine day overall in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

21.5 hours sun so far in Sligo this July

That is about what you would expect in December

Hurry up Dull July and just end.

Surely August will be an improvement.

If not 2020 will go down as a terrible Summer in the East and though July has been cack in the West we had some reasonable days with that thing "sun" in June.

Actually yesterday the sun came out for a few minutes...hence the .5 hours at the end of 21.

Unbelieveably too 6 hours of my sunshine figure for July was on Sunday 5th July when it was 13c with wind speeds of 80kph.

The overriding theme of this July though has not been excessive rainfall but dullness and coldness. Last July when it was 19c I was saying to my wife but remember wasnt there a July when it was 14c nearly every day "I think it was 2011 or 2012" but this year it has been 12 or 13c. In fact Ireland is possibly colder than parts of the Arctic at present.

Maybe when all that ice melts cool weather will be longed for but until then this is our lot for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I think Phoenix park and casement hit 20 or higher a lot more frequently than that. Coast itself would of course be cooler but I recall many days of 20 and above in PP and casement. Had to have been well into double digits I saw that during May at least

quote="compsys;114020872"]PP hit 25c on 25th June and 26c on 2nd June also. And about 23c on 15th.

While May was extremely sunny, it was often cool enough in Dublin, especially right by the coast due to the easterly breeze.

Temps got to just 20 or a fraction above on around 8 or 9 days in total throughout the whole of April and May.[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Grey nothingness

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement