Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Pouring rain again and will be all day here.
    12 or 13c max

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Does anyone else think MTC is just making up these forecasts from his snowdrift in Canada.
    He has no skin in the game due to his location. :D

The only bit he's gotten right lately is clouds and rain.
    Ive not seen the bright orb in the sky in days and have the turf fire burning most nights.

Maybe he should be summoned to appear before the Irish commmiitteeeee and suffer the consequences of the wet stuff as opposed to the "black stuff".

Cool, damp and cloudy in North Kerry for a change :D

Oooh you criticised MTC.

That's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bit of rain to mix it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another miserable cold wet day in Letterkenny, have a winter fleece on in the house and still feel cold, heating on again I think

I think Phoenix park and casement hit 20 or higher a lot more frequently than that. Coast itself would of course be cooler but I recall many days of 20 and above in PP and casement. Had to have been well into double digits I saw that during May at least

Just checked and Casement hit 20.1C on April 11th and didn't hit 20C again until the warmish spell in the last 10 days in May. Most other days were mid teens at best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

pauldry wrote: »
    21.5 hours sun so far in Sligo this July

That is about what you would expect in December

Hurry up Dull July and just end.

Surely August will be an improvement.

If not 2020 will go down as a terrible Summer in the East and though July has been cack in the West we had some reasonable days with that thing "sun" in June.

Actually yesterday the sun came out for a few minutes...hence the .5 hours at the end of 21.

Unbelieveably too 6 hours of my sunshine figure for July was on Sunday 5th July when it was 13c with wind speeds of 80kph.

The overriding theme of this July though has not been excessive rainfall but dullness and coldness. Last July when it was 19c I was saying to my wife but remember wasnt there a July when it was 14c nearly every day "I think it was 2011 or 2012" but this year it has been 12 or 13c. In fact Ireland is possibly colder than parts of the Arctic at present.

Maybe when all that ice melts cool weather will be longed for but until then this is our lot for another while.

Have you got a daily breakdown of sunshine hours? Genuinely intrigued where 21 hours have come from. I guess we've had a few clear evenings but there's large trees to the NW here so don't get any sun after 8pm

It was 26c in Sligo town 30th 31st May and 1st June.

I said to the kids to go to beach every day as we might not get a spell like it again. We used go at 9am when it was 20c and come home at 2pm coz it was too hot ...and we swam lots. Thank God we did.

Doesnt look like we will get any more of that in 2020. Atlantic completely taking charge now and any warm days will be fairly cloudy at least in the West. Well May and June were fairly good in Sligo until that Thunderstorm on June 26th ruined the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Oooh you criticised MTC.

That's bad.

I'm sure he'll live :D

I envy his fairly predicable weather in Canada. Perhaps we should all move!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Pretty decent day again in Dublin, nothing special obviously but dry so at least you can be out and about handy enough. Been mostly dry since Saturday morning. Obviously would like more heat though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Is there any facotr behind the miserable summer we're having, or is it just unfortunate? April/May were fantastic. June/July have mainly been very wet. 2018/2019 were incredible summers, or maybe I just think that because they were the best in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

raining here in Meath, cool and slate grey skies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Is there any facotr behind the miserable summer we're having, or is it just unfortunate? April/May were fantastic. June/July have mainly been very wet. 2018/2019 were incredible summers, or maybe I just think that because they were the best in recent years.

This is certainly the worst first half of summer here in Meath since 2012, the second half of this summer may improve slightly but that remains to be seen, I think overall this is going to end up as being either a poor or very poor summer overall.

We are now mid way through summer and about to head into the second half of summer, we may get a few dry days here and there but I doubt we'll be seeing any prolonged warm and sunny spells.

The jetstream has been on cracking form throughout the summer and it doesn't look like it's going to stop delivering any time soon. Northern blocking looks like it is about to get going too so that could let a conveyor belt of low pressures slide under the high pressures to keep this cool and unsettled summer going.

Of course this could all change by August, but we do seem to be heading towards a very cool and unsettled week next week with temperatures struggling generally from Sunday onwards. Temperatures in most places are already close to 2C below average for the month of July, if next week's forecast verifys we could well be more than 2C below average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I said to the kids to go to beach every day as we might not get a spell like it again. We used go at 9am when it was 20c and come home at 2pm coz it was too hot ...and we swam lots. Thank God we did.

Doesnt look like we will get any more of that in 2020. Atlantic completely taking charge now and any warm days will be fairly cloudy at least in the West. Well May and June were fairly good in Sligo until that Thunderstorm on June 26th ruined the Summer.

And the vast majority of us couldn't do that due to covid restrictions, thats really annoying.

Have you got a daily breakdown of sunshine hours? Genuinely intrigued where 21 hours have come from. I guess we've had a few clear evenings but there's large trees to the NW here so don't get any sun after 8pm

Ok so I decided on July 1st to compare my sun with Belmullet
    Its been incredibly cloudy in Sligo so its easy but Belmullet seems to be peeking out of the clouds a lot more.

They had sun when we had virtually none

See below

Belmullet July Sunshine (c/o Met Eireann)

1 0.9
    2 0.8
    3 0
    4 0.1
    5 6.7
    6 6.6
    7 0
    8 0.4
    9 5.9
    10 10.9
    11 3.8
    12 0
    13 2.8

Total 38.9 hours

Sligo July Sunshine (estimate)

1 0.9
    2 0.8
    3 0
    4 0.5
    5 5.5
    6 3
    7 0
    8 0
    9 3.5
    10 5.5
    11 1.5
    12 0
    13 0.5

Total 21.7 hours

Today will be easy....theres none

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Ok so I decided on July 1st to compare my sun with Belmullet
    Its been incredibly cloudy in Sligo so its easy but Belmullet seems to be peeking out of the clouds a lot more.

They had sun when we had virtually none

See below

Belmullet July Sunshine (c/o Met Eireann)

1 0.9
    2 0.8
    3 0
    4 0.1
    5 6.7
    6 6.6
    7 0
    8 0.4
    9 5.9
    10 10.9
    11 3.8
    12 0
    13 2.8

Total 38.9 hours

Sligo July Sunshine (estimate)

1 0.9
    2 0.8
    3 0
    4 0
    5 5.5
    6 3
    7 0
    8 0
    9 3.5
    10 5.5
    11 1.5
    12 0
    13 0.5

Total 21.2 hours

Today will be easy....theres none

Why is Sligo only an estimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Certainly no 21 hours of sun here this month so far, more like 2 at best.

New Moon

no way is there 20+ hours of sun here in Meath either this month. The only real sun we've had the entire month was in the evening a few days ago and that's been it really. At a guess we've had less than 10 hours of sun so far this July.

Why is Sligo only an estimate?

Coz I am estimating it myself based on how much sun I am recording each day
    as well as comparing it to Belmullet.

Not error free no way but it would be close and easy enough do when the ball in the sky doesnt want to play.

However one mistake I may have made is that Met Eireann seem to count as sun when the sun is shining through those white clouds in a faded way and maybe we had a couple of hours of this too.

However not nearly as much as Belmullet...especially that day they got 10 hours we had a lot of cloud before it broke up later.

Gonzo wrote: »
    no way is there 20+ hours of sun here in Meath either this month. The only real sun we've had the entire month was in the evening a few days ago and that's been it really. At a guess we've had less than 10 hours of sun so far this July.

Everywhere in Ireland that records sun for Met Eireann on their agricultural report recorded over 22 hours of sun between the 6th and 13th of July.

Must have been at 6am or something like that.
    Anyways with the cursed Northwesterly flow that plagued our Summers in 2007 to 2012 a lot here again I know Sligo is much cloudier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It was interesting to watch the Wimbledon programme during last week where they were live from Wimbledon covering the tournament last year. The Presenter was saying the London weather has been very poor this summer, they called a Nadal live from Mallorca where it was low 30s and sunny whilst they said in London it was cold and wet. It seems that Northern Europe has had a poor summer. Even places like Oslo and Stockholm can get very warm summers and it’s been pretty poor there.

Paris has had a very warm summer as I think has Berlin so maybe that’s the dividing line between good and bad weather this summer

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »

Even during that 'sunny' evening the other day here the sun was more often hiding behind the broken cloud than not. But that aside, this current spell really shows what a poor coverage of sunshine data there is in this country.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Has there been a worse July it’s been very wet cold at times and little or no sun

I think there was a bad one in the 1850s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Coz I am estimating it myself based on how much sun I am recording each day
    as well as comparing it to Belmullet.

Not error free no way but it would be close and easy enough do when the ball in the sky doesnt want to play.

However one mistake I may have made is that Met Eireann seem to count as sun when the sun is shining through those white clouds in a faded way and maybe we had a couple of hours of this too.

However not nearly as much as Belmullet...especially that day they got 10 hours we had a lot of cloud before it broke up later.

You'd be better off also comparing it to Thomastown (near Eniskillen), which is closer to you than Belmullet. The UK stations give hourly sunshine totals (number of minutes of direct sunshine in the past hour) as well as hourly solar radiation figures. Pity ours don't do that too.

Eniskillen totalled 22 hour up to and including yesterday.

Hourly sunshine minutes.
    https://meteologix.com/ie/observations/england/sunshine-duration-min/20200714-1200z.html

Hourly radiation.
    https://meteologix.com/ie/observations/england/global-radiation/20200714-1200z.html

Has there been a worse July it’s been very wet cold at times and little or no sun

I was scanning some data this morning comparing the first 12 days of July since the mid 70s with the current one, and yes, there has been similar or cooler ones for the period, but not many: 1988, 2002, 2012, and especially 1980, which was as much as 1.2c cooler than its 2020 equivalent.

Rainfall wise, we have so far similar totals to 2012 (for this opening 13 day period) and also 1976 believe it or not.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It was interesting to watch the Wimbledon programme during last week where they were live from Wimbledon covering the tournament last year. The Presenter was saying the London weather has been very poor this summer, they called a Nadal live from Mallorca where it was low 30s and sunny whilst they said in London it was cold and wet. It seems that Northern Europe has had a poor summer. Even places like Oslo and Stockholm can get very warm summers and it’s been pretty poor there.

Paris has had a very warm summer as I think has Berlin so maybe that’s the dividing line between good and bad weather this summer

If London has been very poor what does that make Dublin? We’ve some posters telling us that the weather has been good in Dublin we’ve even had a lad who spent a few weeks in Donegal telling us it was cracking! It’s peoples perception I guess. All I can say is that it’s raining here now with a reel feel of 12 degrees and obviously the slate grey skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Pretty decent day again in Dublin, nothing special obviously but dry so at least you can be out and about handy enough. Been mostly dry since Saturday morning. Obviously would like more heat though

You jinxed us! Lashing rain + 12.5 degrees here in North County Dublin.

Worse July I ever remember!

We went to beach 3 out of 4 days over June Bank Holiday weekend. My husband thought I was mad saying relax we have the whole summer, ha ha yea right look were we are now!

So glad we had those lovely days.

Temp anomaly forecast (ensemble) for between days 5 and 10.

y5A34aF.png

Remaining near or below average. Although it is easy to play cynical about such things, time and time again nature hints to us that if we get a reasonably warm and sunny April and May, that we tend to pay for it during the following summer months.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Stats for July for Dublin Airport show how bad July has been. Most days barely any sunshine hours despite it been the height of summer apart from 5th & 10th + they were not even that warm!

Sunshine hours, Max Temperature, rainfall- Met Eireann

1st- 0 15.5 12.2mm
    2nd- 2.9 18.0 0.4mm
    3rd- 0.3 18.9 2.8mm
    4th- 0.1 20.4 2.2mm
    5th- 8.9 15.9 3.1mm
    6th- 4.2 16.9 0mm
    7th- 0 14.3 11.5mm
    8th- 0.1 13.7 10.9mm
    9th-1.5 16.9 2.0mm
    10th- 8.0 17.4 0mm
    11th- 5.5 17.7 0mm