Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

If London has been very poor what does that make Dublin? We’ve some posters telling us that the weather has been good in Dublin we’ve even had a lad who spent a few weeks in Donegal telling us it was cracking! It’s peoples perception I guess. All I can say is that it’s raining here now with a reel feel of 12 degrees and obviously the slate grey skies.

Here's the summer so far for Dublin, London and Paris

Dublin:
    http://ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03969&ndays=50&ano=2020&mes=07&day=14&hora=12&ord=REV&Send=Send

London:
    http://ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03772&ndays=60&ano=2020&mes=07&day=14&hora=12&ord=REV&Send=Send

Paris:
    http://ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=07157&ndays=50&ano=2020&mes=07&day=14&hora=12&ord=REV&Send=Send

And my nearest station at Finner for comparison, struggling to top 15C for the past 3 weeks!
    http://ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03978&ndays=50&ano=2020&mes=07&day=14&hora=12&ord=REV&Send=Send

Overall Paris clearly the best though London is broadly similar for temperatures, just more wet days. Dublin has only reached 20C seven times all summer and has only recorded one fully dry day since the 9th of June. And Dublin and the south east has probably had the best of it in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes but you are picking the coldest weather station in Dublin. Phoenix park and casement on warmer days can be up to 4 degrees warmer than Dublin airport.

You will very rarely find a day that London is warmer than Paris. Paris is usually about 4-5 degrees warmer but can be up to 10 degrees warmer as was the case for most of last week.

The reality that I think we can all agree on is June was a poor weather month in Ireland and most of Northern Europe

Dublin:
    http://ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03969&ndays=50&ano=2020&mes=07&day=14&hora=12&ord=REV&Send=Send

London:
    http://ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03772&ndays=60&ano=2020&mes=07&day=14&hora=12&ord=REV&Send=Send

Paris:
    http://ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=07157&ndays=50&ano=2020&mes=07&day=14&hora=12&ord=REV&Send=Send

And my nearest station at Finner for comparison, struggling to top 15C for the past 3 weeks!
    http://ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03978&ndays=50&ano=2020&mes=07&day=14&hora=12&ord=REV&Send=Send

Overall Paris clearly the best though London is broadly similar for temperatures, just more wet days. Dublin has only reached 20C seven times all summer and has only recorded one fully dry day since the 9th of June. And Dublin and the south east has probably had the best of it in Ireland!

Yes but you are picking the coldest weather station in Dublin. Phoenix park and casement on warmer days can be up to 4 degrees warmer than Dublin airport.

You will very rarely find a day that London is warmer than Paris. Paris is usually about 4-5 degrees warmer but can be up to 10 degrees warmer as was the case for most of last week.

The reality that I think we can all agree on is June was a poor weather month in Ireland and most of Northern Europe

Dublin airport is more representative of the city though in being closer to the coast. Looking at Casement there's very little difference anyway, still only 9 days above 20C and only 6 since the 3rd of June.

Also on average Paris is 1.5C warmer than London in July, not 4 or 5. Paris is also notably wetter on average

I couldn't really care less which has the best climate, just pointing it out as you're constantly downplaying London's climate in favour of Dublin's and Paris

Eh I have never compared Dublin comparing favourably to London for weather??

London being 1 degree colder than Paris in July though is nonsense.

Dublin airport is more representative of the city though in being closer to the coast. Looking at Casement there's very little difference anyway, still only 9 days above 20C and only 6 since the 3rd of June.

Also on average Paris is 1.5C warmer than London in July, not 4 or 5. Paris is also notably wetter on average

I couldn't really care less which has the best climate, just pointing it out as you're constantly downplaying London's climate in favour of Dublin's and Paris

Phoenix park is most representative of Dublin, not Dublin airport. PP is most central
    Eh I have never compared Dublin comparing favourably to London for weather??

• Advertisement

Weather has turned poxy in D5 now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Phoenix park is most representative of Dublin, not Dublin airport. PP is most central

Correct. Phoenix Park is most representative for Dublin County as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Is PP really the most representative of the majority of people within Dublin? It's at a very western point of the park, a few km further inland than the 'city', western Dublin for sure, and we have Casement for their too. But right in around the city centre? I'd say Glasnevin is more representative of what's happening there, though that's not one of the main reporting stations.

EDIT: To clarify, the above is mostly regarding fine weather/max temperature watch as that typically entails east winds. For all other weather types then yes it's the most suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Dublin Airport was moved to a much colder location, especially at night, around 10 years ago. It's in a rural area so it's not really representative of the city as a whole. Not sure if it's even that representative of the North Dublin area either to be honest because of the very cool night temps it can report.

On very clear, still nights, at any time of the year, the temperature at DA falls really rapidly. Some nights I've seen a temp difference of around 7 degrees between PP and DA at say, 10pm or so. PP often 'catches up' a bit later in the night but it's still interesting. It also means, during good settled weather, DA often reports some of the coldest temps during the day in summer but also at night, which is highly unusual, as usually if the sea breeze is keeping things cool during the day it should keep things a bit warmer at night.

This was seen a lot in May. It's why DA was only 0.2 above its LTA while PP was 1.5 above - that's a huge difference in weather terms for two stations that are so close. Obviously you'd expect PP to be warmer but you'd expect similar deviations from LTAs.

And although PP is a bit further west than some of Dublin (though lots of places are still further west) it's in the middle of a park at least. If you took the temp a bit closer to the city centre, it would probably be just as warm because of all the concrete and traffic etc.

However if you live right by the coast, though not many do, then yes, PP will overstate your temps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Dublin:

London:

Paris:

Who said London has had a cold summer? Those summer temps still look pretty impressive to me! Only a few days not reaching 20. Many days way above it. Mind you, not reaching 20 is probably considered extremely poor for London.

• Advertisement

Exactly......during the warm spell in early June I recall Phoenix park and casement being regularly up to 4-5 degree warmer than Dublin Airport in the peak of the afternoon. Dublin airport is definitely not representative temperature wise of what Dublin is experiencing as a whole. I would consider Phoenix park the most accurate
    compsys wrote: »
    Dublin Airport was moved to a much colder location, especially at night, around 10 years ago. It's in a rural area so it's not really representative of the city as a whole. Not sure if it's even that representative of the North Dublin area either to be honest because of the very cool night temps it can report.

On very clear, still nights, at any time of the year, the temperature at DA falls really rapidly. Some nights I've seen a temp difference of around 7 degrees between PP and DA at say, 10pm or so. PP often 'catches up' a bit later in the night but it's still interesting. It also means, during good settled weather, DA often reports some of the coldest temps during the day in summer but also at night, which is highly unusual, as usually if the sea breeze is keeping things cool during the day it should keep things a bit warmer at night.

This was seen a lot in May. It's why DA was only 0.2 above its LTA while PP was 1.5 above - that's a huge difference in weather terms for two stations that are so close. Obviously you'd expect PP to be warmer but you'd expect similar deviations from LTAs.

They were saying it on BBC last week during the highlights show of Wimbledon that’s it’s been raining and very dull in London this summer. Each evening they were live on air looking back at last years tennis and you could see the presenters like Becker and it looked chilly and very dull
    compsys wrote: »
    Who said London has had a cold summer? Those summer temps still look pretty impressive to me! Only a few days not reaching 20. Many days way above it. Mind you, not reaching 20 is probably considered extremely poor for London.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So what happens if you attack the sky, clouds and rain with a knife, getting fed up of the wet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Average July max in London is 23.5C compared to 25.2C for Paris so I was 0.2C off ;)

I think those averages are a bit misleading, phoenix park has an average July high around 20 degrees but I would say 8 times out of 10 Paris is more than 5 degrees warmer than Dublin.
    Average July max in London is 23.5C compared to 25.2C for Paris so I was 0.2C off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Just 12 degrees at 6pm at Knock airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

If you live in North County Dublin then DA is accurate for us.

Trust me any of us living near the coast know what its like to be in your garden + think in summer god its boiling + then head out to Malahide or Portmarnock + feel the sea breeze.

It is colder here than city centre in general.

You don't even have to be straight at coast. Newbridge House + Malahide Castle for example can be very cold with seabreeze in certain parts.

On plus side that wind sometimes keeps away number of icy mornings compared say to midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Just 12 degrees at 6pm at Knock airport.

So akin to Christmas Day then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

So akin to Christmas Day then.

It really is standard Christmas weather alright

Heating on again.

How many times have we posted about temperature only been 12 degrees this summer?

Too many to remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's a piddly evening alright. Not huge 12-hour rainfall totals but steady. Pretty poor max temperatures too.

519904.png

519905.png

519906.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

i'd rather we move straight to autumn at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

The worst is, there's no let up. Day after day, not even a mixed bag. Mist, rain, wind, cloud - the four ingredients that make up this summer. I remember when the weather broke in June, really didn't think it would stay broken indefinitely.

who_ru wrote: »
    i'd rather we move straight to autumn at this stage.

I think we are already there + have been for quite sometime here in North County Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was about 18 degress and dry today in cork city, cloudy all day though. Ill take it over rain and cold though! 15 degrees now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fortunate to avoid all the rain here near Tralee, overcast this evening with very low cloud, a bit of mist on and off, only got up to 16.6C and currently 13.5C.

H9M10zQ.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another very cool and wet day here in Meath. The next 3 days may be the best weather we've had in nearly a month with temperatures reaching 21 or 22C in places, particularly the south and east, still cool towards the north-west. Back to relatively cool conditions again from Saturday/Sunday.

arpegeuk-41-28-0.png?14-18

Thursday may be the warmest day, could well end up being the warmest day of July, if we don't get another ridge of the azores in the second half of July.

arpegeuk-41-52-0.png?14-18

Cooler air from the Atlantic begins to make inroads again from Friday but temperatures still holding up close to 20C.

arpegeuk-41-74-0.png?14-18

Mostly dry over the next few days, however there may be showers or patchy rain across the north-west at times.

Rory's Story has few great sketch on YouTube at moment all about us been stuck here for Irish summer instead of abroad!

They gave me a great laugh anyway. At least we are all in it together!

It does look like weather will pick up but only in east + even though 20 degrees very little sunshine being predicted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

This July is certainly on course to break all time lows in terms of SS - very autumnal feel around the place with the constant dampness encouraging alot of fungi that would normally only be seen from October onwards already appearing in places!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement