Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

At least its 12c at night after reaching 14c today.

It's not that unusual to get such poor Summer fare in the Northwest. The past 6 or 7 years have been kind enough to us. At least once August to March 17th was over we got 3 months of very dry weather. So now itll probably rain until February 17th.

This past 12 months I think we have seen a max of 13c on a given day in all the months. Is this unusual. In the boards contest I think I put max min as 16.6c but we havent seen a max max of that barely.

we just seem to be stuck in some never ending cycle of cloud - the weather is the same day after day after day and its quite cool.

Tomorrow and Friday look like better temperatures (I'm not sure about sun) then its back to cold!!!!........that's what Met Eireann said last night is in store for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

MTs long term forecast this morning quite promising.

Also, as a general comment, I think it might be (relatively) a bit warmer and drier down here in the South this past month as, whilst it has been disappointing summer fare, I wouldn't have thought its been as bad since 1 June as you are all describing. Equally, we didn't have as nice an April / May as you guys (again it was nice but not as nice as many of you had). As I said at the time, the hose pipe ban was always comical here. We've had no drought at any stage. Lawns look amazing in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

.... and we wonder why so many Irish suffer depression.

Been looking out at constant drizzle for the last 2 days.

In fact, most of July it seems at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

NIMAN wrote: »
    .... and we wonder why so many Irish suffer depression.

Been looking out at constant drizzle for the last 2 days.

In fact, most of July it seems at this stage.

This backs up my post above. No rain here over the last few days. Yesterday wasn't too bad and the sun is shining bright this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

MTC has delivered glad tidings today in line with his long term forecast many moons ago. My hay is coming down this afternoon and may it be lucky in the days ahead as very little rain is forecast. The weekend appears fresher but if it stays mostly dry will do the trick. Calm day on the river shannon with a hint of brightness.

I actually saw blue sky today. And one minute of sunshine. Im not lying. I did see it. Didnt I? Surely Im not going totally deluded and dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Short lived sunny breaks here which is a shock I have to say. It actually looks like July when the sun does break through and late November when it goes back in, given that could cover is still no less than 7 octas.

New Moon

Yes I did see it. It came out again.

Its 16c in Mayo! Heatwave.

Its actually 13c in Sligo. Can we get to 17c today....like Roches Point is already.
    That would be balmy.

On a positive note I think the 2nd half of July CANT be as bad as the 1st.
    But as we know weather forecasts dont exist in Summer we just take what we get because the models have flip flopped all month.

The next aim has to be to see that bloody comet though with so much cloud every day seeing the sun seems strange nowadays.

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes I did see it. It came out again.

Its 16c in Mayo! Heatwave.

Current sunny break has lasted over 30 seconds. Must be a record for this month!

New Moon

• Advertisement

Highest mean national temp over the last 40 years or so for the first 2 weeks of July:

Year Value
    1983 17.9c
    1976 17.6c
    2018 17.0c
    2013 16.8c

First fortnight of July this year: 13.5c, around 1.4c below the long term average for the period.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guys, I think we should just talk about snow prospects for Winter now this stage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Current sunny break has lasted over 30 seconds. Must be a record for this month!

Thought it was going to be sunny Saturday afternoon and put the sunscreen on and lay out on the sunbed when it arrived, Sunshine lasted 10 mins or so :(

I actually think my 21.7 hours of sun for July might go up a bit today.

.....at 21.71 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lovely morning now, but the sky looks like a sunny April rather than July if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Sun is finally making in appearance in Dublin 9. Feeling warm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still cloudy here in Meath, at least it's not raining for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

St swithins day today. If it rains today it will rain for the next 40 days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

US2 wrote: »
    St swithins day today. If it rains today it will rain for the next 40 days

if that tale is true then i'll have another 40 days without sun!

I don't think I've seen a 4 week period pass with such little sunshine, even in the winter months we usually see more sun than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

MTs long term forecast this morning quite promising.

Also, as a general comment, I think it might be (relatively) a bit warmer and drier down here in the South this past month as, whilst it has been disappointing summer fare, I wouldn't have thought its been as bad since 1 June as you are all describing. Equally, we didn't have as nice an April / May as you guys (again it was nice but not as nice as many of you had). As I said at the time, the hose pipe ban was always comical here. We've had no drought at any stage. Lawns look amazing in fact.

Agree - we haven't had the rain quite so bad in Cork anyway; it's just been generic and non-exciting, but dry most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dark, grey and damp in Letterkenny, heating on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Dark, grey and damp in Letterkenny, heating on.

But but but......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Sun's out.
    Has turned into a warm day

Actually turned what you would call 'sunny' here over the last few hours. Seemed all the more vivid after the 3 weeks plus of continuous heavy cloud cover. Cloud seems to be slowly infiltrating in again as I type but still bright.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Still dull & dreary here all day.

Only plus is no longer raining + we are at 17 degrees but sure with no sun its just useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yesterday's weather added another 3mm rain at Dublin airport, 0.5 of sunshine hours + max of 14 degrees.

Another beautiful summers day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some sun around for the last hour and a half in cork city, just makes everything so much nicer!

21c in Athenry

still 14c here in Sligo and 13c in Finner

I guess 17c was too ambitious but it might be attained before July is out

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sunny but breezy in south mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

There were some nice warm sunny spells in Castlebar today, but it has gone very overcast and starting to cool now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement