Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

The sun came out for 5 secs there.

No the wind is back so the so called 17 degrees feels like 12.

Ffs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

clouds beginning to break here in Meath and some warm but brief spells of sunshine, temperature currently 19C.

Oak Park is 21C, perhaps the warmest temperature we have seen all month so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    clouds beginning to break here in Meath and some warm but brief spells of sunshine, temperature currently 19C.

Oak Park is 21C, perhaps the warmest temperature we have seen all month so far.

gorgeous down here in Arklow
    Currently 21c
    Plenty sun all day

Just nudging 22c here now
    Lovely evening

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Friday looks dreadful now
    Rain all day
    Where the hell has that come from
    A nice way to make the halfway point of “summer “

Ah well. There is always next week

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Friday looks dreadful now
    Rain all day
    Where the hell has that come from
    A nice way to make the halfway point of “summer “

Ah well. There is always next week

I think it has a lot to do with the severe lack of airplane flight data available to feed into the numerical weather programmes
    Transatlantic and trans pacific flights are probably way less than 10% of Norma

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Lovely evening

Still windy + cloudy here no sun at all.

Will you send some our way!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

Was in Dunmore east all day, at the beach etc. Lovely day. Loads of sun, got to car and it was reading 26. Real temp around 21 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Maybe it's just me, but.. given the incredibly dull weather over the last few weeks, it seems that time, or at least the perception of it, has trudged along faster than it would do normally. Mid July already., half the summer gone, yet it many ways it seems that the season hasn't really begun, with the natural occurring changing tones of light during the day never really changing at all between morning and evening. For example, it is hard to distinguish the natural light of the day between 7am, 1pm and 7pm, which has an odd effect on the brain I think. No sense of transition or the natural perception of passage of time at all during the daylight hours, and all the while as it drips away.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Turned out nice and sunny this evening for an hour or so but its clouded over completely again.
    Coolish out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but.. given the incredibly dull weather over the last few weeks, it seems that time, or at least the perception of it, has trudged along faster than it would do normally. Mid July already., half the summer gone, yet it many ways it seems that the season hasn't really begun, with the natural occurring changing tones of light during the day never really changing at all between morning and evening. For example, it is hard to distinguish the natural light of the day between 7am, 1pm and 7pm, which has an odd effect on the brain I think. No sense of transition or the natural perception of passage of time at all during the daylight hours, and all the while as it drips away.
    i saw a 202 reg car for the first time the other day and it suddenly dawned on me that it is the 2nd half of the year, summer is well advanced, yet as you say it hasn't really happened at all. the constant grayness of it all is almost mind boggling, the lack of colour in the environment. it contrasts so severely with the lockdown weather, the closeness to nature people felt then. i'm betting autumn will be good, the summer months always promise much but deliver vry little in ireland.

appledrop wrote: »
    Still windy + cloudy here no sun at all.

Will you send some our way!

Still gorgeous here and 20c at 830pm in Arklow
    It feels balmy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Arklow isnt in Ireland

Ballymote was 20c at 5pm. Really!

Sun came out for half an hour.

Not so in Sligo. 15.3c max and about 15 or 20 mins in total of any sun so now my monthly total is at 22 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lovely barmy day ending in sunny skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

gorgeous down here in Arklow
    Currently 21c
    Plenty sun all day
    Lovely evening
    Still gorgeous here and 20c at 830pm in Arklow
    It feels balmy

Ok stop rubbing it in please. Dull and cloudy in Kildare :(

We were same cloudy all day here Jaffa in North County Dublin + really chilly in strong breeze here from around 4pm. We tried sitting out back + had to go in. My mushrooms are still growing in garden.

Of course the sun finally made an appearance about 8pm but sure thats useless.

Only plus is maybe just maybe good start to tomorrow morning but I won't hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Drizzly misty cool dull evening here. It’s fuxkin depressing is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Nice forecast for the east and south east for the next 4-5 days on weather after RTE news. 21 degrees next couple of days. Amen to that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today's max temperatures, got close to 22C in the south-east.

txint_uk.png

23C looks possible tomorrow with low 20's in many southern, midland and eastern areas.

arpegeuk-41-27-0.png?15-18

warmth restricted to the south-east by Friday.

arpegeuk-41-49-0.png?15-18

High teens still possible on Saturday but this is nothing to get excited about as these temperatures are just about average.

arpegeuk-41-76-0.png?15-18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

A lovely evening in Kildare with spells of warm sunshine. 21c was the high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭4Ad

Drizzly misty cool dull evening here. It’s fuxkin depressing is what it is.

Dull and slightly drizzly at times (albeit warmish) in East Clare all day..
    Miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

As long as it's not raining and cold then there really is no justification for the chronic depression in this thread, by some posters more than others. Cloudy and dry is not "useless". Sure, sunny and dry would be better, but there is nothing you can't do outside on a sunny day that you can't do on a dry day (except maybe getting sunburnt). There have been piddly wet days of late alright but that's part and parcel of our climate. There is no set July climate in this country. The only set thing about it is that it's not set.

The long-term average max temperature for now in e.g. Dublin is a hair under 20 degrees. Today it hit 20. Yes, the breeze took a few degrees off that but so what? We don't live in the Med. This weather would be very rare for that area but for here it's fairly regular and around average. The past few days were below average. That's the way it goes. This evening was fine for doing practically everything outside here, yesterday not so.

We have some posters posting practically the same posts 5 or 6 times a day. We get it. You don't like it. Coming on here is not going to help you. Tomorrow will be decent in some parts of the country, though poorer in the northwest, where we expect it to be so. It's as if the great weather of the past few months has been totally forgotten. I don't remember seeing the same people posting the same thing 5 times a day back then. It's as if people are not happy unless they're unhappy.

The only thing more slate grey than the weather is this thread.

Still 17c in Arklow at 1120pm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

As long as it's not raining and cold then there really is no justification for the chronic depression in this thread, by some posters more than others. Cloudy and dry is not "useless". Sure, sunny and dry would be better, but there is nothing you can't do outside on a sunny day that you can't do on a dry day (except maybe getting sunburnt). There have been piddly wet days of late alright but that's part and parcel of our climate. There is no set July climate in this country. The only set thing about it is that it's not set.

The long-term average max temperature for now in e.g. Dublin is a hair under 20 degrees. Today it hit 20. Yes, the breeze took a few degrees off that but so what? We don't live in the Med. This weather would be very rare for that area but for here it's fairly regular and around average. The past few days were below average. That's the way it goes. This evening was fine for doing practically everything outside here, yesterday not so.

We have some posters posting practically the same posts 5 or 6 times a day. We get it. You don't like it. Coming on here is not going to help you. Tomorrow will be decent in some parts of the country, though poorer in the northwest, where we expect it to be so. It's as if the great weather of the past few months has been totally forgotten. I don't remember seeing the same people posting the same thing 5 times a day back then. It's as if people are not happy unless they're unhappy.

Agreed, to be honest I can't even read the thread anymore. It's utter gloom that would put you in a worse mood than the weather. I know we're famously bad for complaining in Ireland but my god!

Today was a bit drizzly, however I still got out for a 30k cycle and at no stage did I get much more than a bit damp. At this stage people need to stop waiting for this super heatwave that never arrives and deal with the cards you're dealt.

Every single Irish summer has weather like this, granted it's prolonged this summer but you'd swear we were used to receiving Mediterranean summers.

Amen to this!! Moaning has reached new heights on here, utterly relentless. Was out this evening and people strolling around in T-shirt’s. The weather has been poor lately but you would swear it’s the end of the world. Next 4-5 days to be nice, yet people will still moan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Found today grand honestly. Been ok every day since Friday bar Tuesday.

Agreed other than yesterday it’s been decent enough since Friday. Tomorrow is looking like one to take advantage of

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Found today grand honestly. Been ok every day since Friday bar Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Hear, hear.

I think people also forget how poor even a 'good' Irish summer is.

We live in Ireland. Not the Med or even south east England.

Expectations by some of our summer (and indeed winter) weather are so far detached from reality that some people will always be disappointed.

This utter shock from some that it's high summer yet also cool and rainy is baffling. it's normal enough for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Moaning to start on here again in 3........2........1.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement