Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Can I just ask the unofficial and self appointed moderators
    is it OK to report that its raining in Leitrim at the moment?

As long as it's not raining and cold then there really is no justification for the chronic depression in this thread, by some posters more than others. Cloudy and dry is not "useless". Sure, sunny and dry would be better, but there is nothing you can't do outside on a sunny day that you can't do on a dry day (except maybe getting sunburnt). There have been piddly wet days of late alright but that's part and parcel of our climate. There is no set July climate in this country. The only set thing about it is that it's not set.

The long-term average max temperature for now in e.g. Dublin is a hair under 20 degrees. Today it hit 20. Yes, the breeze took a few degrees off that but so what? We don't live in the Med. This weather would be very rare for that area but for here it's fairly regular and around average. The past few days were below average. That's the way it goes. This evening was fine for doing practically everything outside here, yesterday not so.

We have some posters posting practically the same posts 5 or 6 times a day. We get it. You don't like it. Coming on here is not going to help you. Tomorrow will be decent in some parts of the country, though poorer in the northwest, where we expect it to be so. It's as if the great weather of the past few months has been totally forgotten. I don't remember seeing the same people posting the same thing 5 times a day back then. It's as if people are not happy unless they're unhappy.

The only thing more slate grey than the weather is this thread.

The thread has been ruined by the misery. For example, in the area I live in (south) we have had good weather for the guts of a week (all of July has actually been very dry and June only came out at the mean rainfall) with little rain and temperatures reaching the low 20s, yet there's a poster who comes on every day and posts the same thing "grey skies, 17 degrees, miserable" regardless of the weather. It's getting strange. Maybe there should be a seperate misery thread where people can post pictures of the drizzle and their fires in July.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

OldRio wrote: »
    Can I just ask the unofficial and self appointed moderators

OK as long as you do it with a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

This thread has been riddled with misery since 2 or 3 days into the wet spell. Many parts of the country had 3 consecutive months of dry weather and sunshine from early March to early June but a day or two of rain resulted in the first moan and it’s been relentless ever since. People don’t seem to realise that most of UK and Northern Europe has had the same poor weather as us but somehow it should not be raining here.
    The thread has been ruined by the misery. For example, in the area I live in (south) we have had good weather for the guts of a week (all of July has actually been very dry and June only came out at the mean rainfall) with little rain and temperatures reaching the low 20s, yet there's a poster who comes on every day and posts the same thing "grey skies, 17 degrees, miserable" regardless of the weather. It's getting strange. Maybe there should be a seperate misery thread where people can post pictures of the drizzle and their fires in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

The weather has been unnaturally good since the 20th March approx. Before that very wet..
    The downside of this being the dry weather was at the wrong time hence the old saying " A wet and windy May fills the barn with corn and hay".
    In the midlands there was at most I'd guess 25mm of rain between 17th March and 17th June. The land was parched. That's a question for Sryan. How much rain fell around Portlaoise during those 3 months.
    Since then there has been excessive rainfall. The moisture levels have more than righted themselves in a short timeframe.
    Positively the next week looks good for a bit of old gold. The term older folk used for hay. Silage is king now but ya can't beat soft golden hay.
    Dry but dull overhead in Leitrim Town just now. A soft breeze but not too cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

This thread has been riddled with misery since 2 or 3 days into the wet spell. Many parts of the country had 3 consecutive months of dry weather and sunshine from early March to early June but a day or two of rain resulted in the first moan and it’s been relentless ever since. People don’t seem to realise that most of UK and Northern Europe has had the same poor weather as us but somehow it should not be raining here.

you do realise you are moaning about people moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its quite humid today. Cloud on top of us but hopeful of some breaks.

There is a forecast of some sunshine at the weekend.

Grass I planted is growing well though as on pack it says 10 to 19c optimum temperature and it has hardly been above or below them values in July.

Apart from Saturday 4th July when it got to 19.2c in a short sunny spell but other than that the highest has been 16.6c and lowest 9.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Trying to be positive as I'll be lambasted if negative. Very dull today but less duller than yesterday morning...there; that's a positive..

On another note I really hope Spain is on the greenlist on Monday. I bought a flight there for the last week in July as the weather here was depressing me...need some sun...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Trying to be positive as I'll be lambasted if negative. Very dull today but less duller than yesterday morning...there; that's a positive..

On another note I really hope Spain is on the greenlist on Monday. I bought a flight there for the last week in July as the weather here was depressing me...need some sun...

There will be no greenlist published on Monday. Yesterday they announced that it will be pushed back, so current guidelines continue for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭boetstark

who_ru wrote: »
    you do realise you are moaning about people moaning.

Thats not true. We still have friends living in Channel Islands and low to mid twenties most days. London seems to be same trend with a very good 5 day forecast. We are a rock on the edge of Europe that has a damp dreary climate. It is what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭boetstark

sorry , reply was to slasher 🀭😎😎😎😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

This weather is playing fook with my head. Ive Seasonal affective disorder and my brain is convinced I'm in December. Id give anything for a nice sunny day and a spin on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Sami23

Random question - is MT Cranium's forecasts on here taken directly from Irish Weather Online on Facebook or vice versa ?

Or is it the same person posting both.
    Just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sami23 wrote: »
    Random question - is MT Cranium's forecasts on here taken directly from Irish Weather Online on Facebook or vice versa ?

Or is it the same person posting both.
    Just curious

The same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

DOCARCH wrote: »
    OK as long as you do it with a smile.

GwkRxuv.jpg

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was a lovely warm evening last night in cork city, the air just felt warm which was great was able to sit outside when the breeze dropped. Sun was out for a while yesterday too.

19/20 degrees so far today aswell with sunny spells so looks like it will be another nice day to come

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Agreed other than yesterday it’s been decent enough since Friday. Tomorrow is looking like one to take advantage of

Again
    We dont all live in the same part of ireland
    Where I live it is promised to rain ALL day tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

compsys wrote: »
    Hear, hear.

I think people also forget how poor even a 'good' Irish summer is.

We live in Ireland. Not the Med or even south east England.

Expectations by some of our summer (and indeed winter) weather are so far detached from reality that some people will always be disappointed.

This utter shock from some that it's high summer yet also cool and rainy is baffling. it's normal enough for Ireland.

Absolutely - great to see a bit of realism on this thread for a change today.
    Just spent 6 days in Kerry with 3 small children and we were on the beach for 4 of the days (in the sea for 3) so that's not half bad from an Irish summer perspective!
    Outdoors most of the time and not once was there any complaint from the children about cold or wet (and believe me - they're able to complain!)

I think people in bad humor for another reason are often more prone to complain about the weather - probably because it's a more socially acceptable thing to complain about than what is actually bothering them..

OldRio wrote: »

No.

Just reported your post to the 'Positive Police'.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

eon1208 wrote: »
    The weather has been unnaturally good since the 20th March approx. Before that very wet..
    The downside of this being the dry weather was at the wrong time hence the old saying " A wet and windy May fills the barn with corn and hay".
    In the midlands there was at most I'd guess 25mm of rain between 17th March and 17th June. The land was parched. That's a question for Sryan. How much rain fell around Portlaoise during those 3 months.
    Since then there has been excessive rainfall. The moisture levels have more than righted themselves in a short timeframe.
    Positively the next week looks good for a bit of old gold. The term older folk used for hay. Silage is king now but ya can't beat soft golden hay.
    Dry but dull overhead in Leitrim Town just now. A soft breeze but not too cold.

Closest station be Danno's Durrow one, he recorded around 105.2mm during Spring 2020 (March to May). Between 17 March to 17 June (not inclusive) there was 60.2mm.

I would make the most of any dry weather next week even though cool and not looking sunny again, as there is a trend for quite a pressure drop by later next week with support from background teleconnections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

There was a poster called US2 who posted here around 26th May that people should get outside and make the most of the June weekend because it could well be the last hot sunny one of the summer.

He/she was practically ran out of the thread for being so "negative" by (ironically) several of the same posters now daily complaining here about our cool cloudy summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't see what is wrong with a bit of moaning, its the summer after all we would all love a nice bit of weather.

I have been one of the moaners on here of late, and yes I know it was lovely in April and May, but thats gone now, I would like it to stop p1ssing down for a day at least round here in the NW. Surely its not being a grouch to say the weather is depressing of late? It is, despite what it was like 3 months ago.

Its the middle of July, why are some so happy that its 15c of an evening?

I know Irish summers of recent times have been warm and wet, but I do miss my summer holiday abroad this year. I do miss the good dry weather.

Roll on September!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Sami23

sryanbruen wrote: »

I would make the most of any dry weather next week even though cool and not looking sunny again, as there is a trend for quite a pressure drop by later next week with support from background teleconnections.

Do you see much chance of sunshine at all in the West next week as I have Hay to cut or should I wait for the next fine spell ?
    Tia

Long way out but the trend has been remarkably consistent over the last few runs regarding the forecast pattern for end of next week:

KxOEWxI.png

Ironically, such a pattern would probably bring us more sunshine than we have seen under this current diverging HP sourced flow.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Long way out but the trend has been remarkably consistent over the last few runs regarding the forecast pattern for end of next week:

Ironically, such a pattern would probably bring us more sunshine than we have seen under this current diverging HP sourced flow.

It's kinda like autumn or winter anticyclonic gloom, just need a westerly to bring in clearer air :p

It's funny you mentioned 1980 too as I thought it being similar to this July. Both 1980 and 1981 were very dull summers. In fact, this pattern on 14 July 1981 looks awfully familiar.

NOAA_1_1981071412_1.png

The weather in the past few days has not just been shy t here but also

London
    Paris
    Berlin
    Moscow
    Belgrade

I blame Siberia. They stole the heat, gave it to the Arctic and the Arctic said "Hey, what are we meant to do with all our Lows?"

Siberia: "Give them to Northern Europe, they say they are having a drought"

Arctic : "OK but for how long?"

Siberia: "I dont know, who am I the weather police?"

Arctic: "OK but I want my lows back sometime"

Siberia "They are due to go into lockdown again soon. Youll get them back then "

In fact, this pattern on 14 July 1981 looks awfully familiar.

Frontal analysis for that day:

emyMC4g.png

I bet 'patchy outbreaks of light rain or drizzle' was mentioned in the forecasts a lot that day. :rolleyes:

New Moon

Hold the front page.

Its 18c and kinda sunny in Sligo

Can the half hour on July 4th where it reached 19.2c be beaten???

Oh look patchy rain and drizzle this evening, I thought we were getting "a dry day"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

A gloriously dull morning. Beautiful drizzle falling. Thankfully its 2 months straight now of this amazing weather!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

at least this week is a significant improvement on last weeks weather with much less in the way of rain, still very little sunshine tho. Cloudy again today but hopefully there will be a few bright spells later on today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement