Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

I commend you all for the accuracy of your weather predictions.

We have had a pretty terrible July so far in the north west. There was one week, it was so wet that I don't think I got the children outside once to play.

After such a joyful spring, weather wise, I am counting my blessings for every dryish day. Yesterday, we went to the beach and it there was a light misty rain. After all our downpours recently, the deluges made the misty rain seem dry!

The make hay when it's dryish rings true up here. Just have to make the most of it when you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just out of curiosity you say there was one week that was so wet....in July...like its the 16th today, surely you can remember the week.

Though when it mists as it does here in Northwest it all blends in

Rain...mist...showers..rain...mist...showers

Like most mornings in the Northwest are either cloudy or misty in July

The sun breaks through briefly in the midday hours due to the "heat" and then the mist rolls back in again in the evening.

Today will be another of those days.

Sundays have a life of their own in the Northwest. I expect snow this Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We can get 16 degrees in December when its cloudy and the sun is at its weakest...yet 7 months later into the year and when the sun is at its strongest temperatures are not much better even with the sun shining all day...strange climate we have here

its 20c in Co Sligo

Still 18c in town

Very nice to feel all the warmth again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

beautiful sunny day in dublin 5, was just out for a stroll and its really nice. 21 degrees at phoenix park and 20 degrees at Dublin airport which tends to be the cooler station

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a pleasant day here in Meath, mostly cloudy but the sun pokes through the cloud every now and then. Currently 21C making today the warmest day of July here. Oak Park now reached 22C, the warmest temperature of July so far.

Nice forecast on met eireann

Summary: Becoming drier and more settled over the weekend, and for the early days of next week, however, it will feel fresher in a predominantly northwesterly airflow.

Friday night: Patchy rain and drizzle will continue to extend southeastwards to south Leinster and Munster. Elsewhere it will become fresher with a mix of cloud and occasional clear breaks developing. Minimum temperatures of 9 to 14 degrees in light to moderate southwesterly or variable breezes.

Saturday: Rain clearing the southeast early with a mix of cloud and sunny spells following from the west. Some occasional light rain or drizzle will however develop along the Atlantic coast throughout the day. Maximum temperatures of 15 to 20 degrees in light to moderate west to northwest winds.

Saturday night: Mostly clear and dry with minimum temperatures of 6 to 10 degrees in light west to northwest breezes.

Sunday: Mostly dry with a mix of cloud and sunny spells. Maximum temperatures of 15 to 17 degrees in light to moderate northwest or variable winds. Sunday night: Mostly clear and dry with minimum temperatures of 7 to 9 degrees in light northwesterly or variable breezes.

Monday: Becoming mostly cloudy with patchy rain and drizzle developing along northern and eastern coasts. Maximum temperatures of 14 to 19 degrees in light to moderate northwesterly breezes.

Further outlook: Remaining settled and getting gradually warmer through the middle of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Hooter23 wrote: »
    We can get 16 degrees in December when its cloudy and the sun is at its weakest...yet 7 months later into the year and when the sun is at its strongest temperatures are not much better even with the sun shining all day...strange climate we have here

In fairness temps as high as 16 degrees in winter are exceptional and probably reached no more than three days at best throughout the entire season whereas practically every day in summer it will get to at least 17 or 18 at least somewhere in the country.

I get your point though...

I do feel our season 'mishmash' in recent years is more to do with ridiculously mild winters as opposed to overly cold summers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Major improvements in the last few hours. Hazy sunshine and very warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The air is noticeably warmer today than it has been the last week or so.

And when the sun does break out the odd time, you can feel a real heat off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Decent day across much of the country with many areas in the 20's currently.

520089.PNG

Source : https://wow.met.ie/

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Actually very nice day here in West Cork near Glengariff. I would say c.80% clear sky. Very nice and unexpected as the forecast for the day was cloudy skies here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

easily the best day of the month. 23C reached at the Phoenix Park, many places 21 or 22C.

Yes a good wrong

They promised a lot colder than this in the West its 20c I think 16c was forecast "this morning".

They cant even nowcast.

24 degrees in Phoenix park

Still a bit of blue sky here but clouding up this evening in West because the rain comet is coming out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

As can be seen now, people aren't just been negative for the sake of it. Any few hours of dry weather and were all happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Lovely warm day in Kilcoole, Co Wicklow. So glad I am off work for this good day. Tempted to go for a swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautiful afternoon now in Kildare 23.8°c with a very warm wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nice warm sunnyish afternoon here lovely to feel a bit of heat in the bones again. Easily the best day this month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was not expecting such a nice day! 23.4c atm in Dublin 16. If I had known, I would not be sitting at my desk today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Met eireann said rain/drizzle in west yesterday and today...its was warm and sunny yesterday and sunny this morning cloudy now but still dry...if you cant even forecast a day or two ahead with all this so called technology these days then theres no hope...and they expect us to believe their climate change forecast 50 years from now

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Pleasant enough day in South Mayo. Cloudy and breezy but not too bad

Still 24 at Phoenix park, lovely day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A grey and humid day in Castlebar, it did get briefly get above 19C today though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Met eireann said rain/drizzle in west yesterday and today...its was warm and sunny yesterday and sunny this morning cloudy now but still dry...if you cant even forecast a day or two ahead with all this so called technology these days then theres no hope...and they expect us to believe their climate change forecast 50 years from now

Irish weather is capricious! Part of the problem is that met.ie seem to take pesimistic line but whether that at an individual forecaster or corporate level is hard to know. Does a forcast have to be agreed before it's broadcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Pleasant enough day in South Mayo. Cloudy and breezy but not too bad

Turned windier and cooler
    No longer very pleasant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

km79 wrote: »
    Turned windier and cooler
    No longer very pleasant :D

Not sure your allowed say that anymore, will leave you off because you added a happy face :)

Lovely day in Cork city, warm, sunny and dry. Its about 23 degrees atm!

BBQ in the garden in Dublin, best day since mid June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Brightened up in the afternoon in Letterkenny to give some sporadic milky sunshine, easily the best 4 hours of weather we've had since some time in June and the first time in weeks I could go outside in a t-shirt

Back to miserable drizzle since 4.30pm :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement