Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Summer is always crap...I think each year when we get our usual good week or two in September we forget all about how bad the summer was...only for it to repeat the same crap year after year...and listening to the same stupid forecasts repeating every year that we are going to get 3 months of heatwaves is not helping either...it has never happened and never will...we can barely get 2 days a week of dry weather a week nevermind months

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

evosteo wrote: »
    Is there any reason the jet stream has been sitting over ireland and the uk the last number of weeks? We seem to be getting hit with everything off the atlantic. Any sign of an azores high to give us a decent spell of weather like we had in may? How i long for the summer we had in 2018

Not much chance of a prolonged Azores high at this stage while you have northern blocking and all that high pressure sitting in the arctic circle, keeping the jet stream at a much lower latitude than we would like it to be, at best we might get a few more brief warm and settled spells before the end of next month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

I keep telling that to people and they keep telling me "ah sur that High is in Siberia, how is it effecting us?" Its difficult to explain it to them in spoken conversation with them falling asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Summer 2018 was phenomenal in fairness, warm and sunny from May to July. August was the only not so good months but May to July was unreal a highest temp of 32 degrees in Shannon
    Hooter23 wrote: »
    Summer is always crap...I think each year when we get our usual good week or two in September we forget all about how bad the summer was...only for it to repeat the same crap year after year...and listening to the same stupid forecasts repeating every year that we are going to get 3 months of heatwaves is not helping either...it has never happened and never will...we can barely get 2 days a week of dry weather a week nevermind months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Anyone know what the general outlook is for the South West over the weekend? Met Eireann have been all over the place with their forecasts this week. Have to cancel my trip if the weather is to be crap and haven't been able to get a handle on it all week.

• Advertisement

Summer 2018 was phenomenal in fairness, warm and sunny from May to July. August was the only not so good months but May to July was unreal a highest temp of 32 degrees in Shannon

Yes but we have to wait another 100 years or more to get one like that again...unlike most other countries who are almost guaranteed a summer like that nearly every year...thats the difference

Then move to USA, France, Italy, Spain etc. If you live in Northern Europe don’t expect great summers
    Yes but we have to wait another 100 years or more to get one like that again...unlike most other countries who are almost guaranteed a summer like that nearly every year...thats the difference

It was a cloudy but quite a nice day in Dublin today. I didn’t see the temps but it definitely felt like it hit about 20 or 21 degrees today. The past week has been very nice. Met eireann website giving 21 on Friday and 20 on saturday, only 19 but sunny on Sunday. I thought this week was meant to be worse but certainly hasn’t been so far (thankfully)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

After a drop of rain overnight it dried out and is a lovely evening now with a temp of 21c

Then move to USA, France, Italy, Spain etc. If you live in Northern Europe don’t expect great summers

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

'76 and '95 would like a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Calibos wrote: »
    '76 and '95 would like a word.

We get a load more great summers than people think. 2006, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2018 just recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Very heavy rain in Donegal now after another beautiful dark drizzly day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Well my last day in Ireland before my family and I depart these shores and the weather is not very summer like.
    I definitely won't miss this weather.
    I'll look forward to reading the winter tread when it comes hopefully weather bordsies will be rewarded with a snowie winter after such a disappointing summer for all.
    Stay safe all.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ZX7R wrote: »
    Well my last day in Ireland before my family and I depart these shores and the weather is not very summer like.
    I definitely won't miss this weather.
    I'll look forward to reading the winter tread when it comes hopefully weather bordsies will be rewarded with a snowie winter after such a disappointing summer for all.
    Stay safe all.

Oh, going somewhere warm?

Safe journey and I hope your family settles well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Oh, going somewhere warm?

Safe journey and I hope your family settles well.

South eastern Poland.
    Yes the weather is nice there.
    Thank you for your safe wishes.

100mm of rain here in the next 10 days.

The good August wont be 2020. More monsoon season again by the looks of it and the Arctic will be blamed as well as the Jetstream living over us as it seems to now.

Summer seems to have the worst weather of all the seasons much of the time in the Northwest.

The past few years have not been as bad as some but generally the Northwest has

Spring - The sunniest weather and dry sometimes too.
    Summer - Rain almost every day on many years
    Autumn - Somewhat drier but not really sunny
    Winter - Mild with all sorts of storms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This weather is nothing less than disgusting. Near 100% humidity, pallid, colourless low cloud, and constantly damp ground. In any other country, humidity like this in summer would be a forewarn towards something big and explosive. In Ireland, we are thrown a few short-lived patches of drizzle by way of compensation.

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ZX7R wrote: »
    South eastern Poland.
    Yes the weather is nice there.
    Thank you for your safe wishes.

Best of luck ZX7R!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yet another dark misty drizzly day :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Started dull but cloud gave way to a warm and very humid sunny morning.

the needing of torches during daylight hours weather.

Maybe sun at weekend before the deluges begin in earnest for the Wet August.
    Cant be as wet as last August though as that was near 300mm in places. Probably 250mm this year just.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nice day here in east Cork. Dry and partially cloudy with a gentle breeze....nice and warm in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

We're getting away with it along the south coast. Yesterday and today warm (ok muggy) but mixture of sun and cloud. Everywhere else dire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday were glorious days. We need to be thankful!

very cloudy today but very warm and dry. I dont mind the humidity at all once its warm an dry im happy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday were glorious days. We need to be thankful!

Im glad those days were glorious for you. Not around these parts unfortunately.
    Warm and wet and cloudy today.

OldRio wrote: »
    Im glad those days were glorious for you. Not around these parts unfortunately.
    Warm and wet and cloudy today.

Where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Nice day in cork city, woke up to saturated ground etc but hasn't rained since last night. About 21 degrees and the sun is pepping through the clouds at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

US2 wrote: »
    Where ?

Leitrim

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement