Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Dull, grey, humid and constant drizzle all day in Galway. Its warm out but you've to wear a coat because of the rain so you end up sweating in the coat because of the heat.
    I'm a kayaker so I make the most of the rain but we get enough of that all winter, is it too much to ask for a month or two of relatively settled weather to get out to sea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

April and May were those months

Summers over for another year.

Too late if we get good weather in September to call it Summer.

August another write off bar about 3 or 4 days.

Today and yesterday very DARK in Sligo not dull. Lights on in house all day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Neighbour farmer here in Meath told me at the end of May that the weather would break after June bank holiday weekend and wouldn’t pick up properly until August bank holiday weekend. Met him just there again and he said he’s still convinced it’s going to turn much warmer by the end of next week in time for the bank holiday weekend and for most of August. He got the last 2 months right so hopefully he’s on to something!

Tell him I'll stand him a few pints for that! A bit of summer weather badly wanted for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭appledrop

So we have one week left in July + these are stats for Dublin airport my nearest station up to 23/7

Rainfall: 61mm
    Mean Temperature: 14.1
    Global Solar Radiation:34,289

In 2019,2018, 2017& rainfall was 41mm,40mm &42mm respectively. So we already have recorded a wetter than average month + plenty more to come!

Mean temperative for 2019,2018,2017 were 15.9,16.1 & 15. Again we are way below average temperature for month at only 14.1.

Global Solar Radiation: 53,000, 52,000 + 52,000 roughly in last 3 years. We haven't even reached 35,000 yet although maybe last week sun will be spliting the trees.

Before those of you say what do you except its Ireland + Dublin airport cold station the fact is that even for Ireland its looking like a shocking July unless we get a heatwave next week.

But now I'm complaining god forbid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Luckily, we've also had a lovely fortnight of weather down in Cork too. Warm, settled and quite sunny. Just 30mm for the month so far, but it seems to be exceptional compared to the rest of the country.

Just looking at the temps here for the last week and it hasn't been bad at all
    July 16th 22.5
    July 17th 19.7
    July 18th 19.3
    July 19th 21.7
    July 20th 20.2
    July 21st 22.6
    July 22nd 22.8
    July 23rd 20.3
    Today 20.1
    Bar today all these temperatures have occurred after 3.30pm so we had lovely evenings on the most part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temperature range of 0.1c here over the last 6 hours. Really shows how saturated the air is. Dense stratus clouds down to the ground as usual with just the slightest mist in the air. This weather is not unusual for Ireland, but such an extended long run of this type of weather, and especially during the high summer period, most certainly is.

New Moon

Isn't it hilarious though that when the weather patterns in Ireland gets 'stuck in a rut' like this, it always gets stuck with the most blandest, uninspiring and unsightly weather possible?

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Isn't it hilarious though that when the weather patterns in Ireland gets 'stuck in a rut' like this, it always gets stuck with the most blandest, uninspiring and unsightly weather possible?

What annoys me the most is northern blocking through summer then it disappears in the Autumn just in time to bring in the bland westerly's for the 3 months of 'winter'. If we had northern blocking every winter and never any during the summer our seasons would probably be much more interesting than they are.

We've had a rubbish summer and 2 non existent winters back to back, let's hope this winter season is a bit more seasonal.

That guy who said August would pick up may be right for the East but the West is going to get another 200mm job like last year I feel.

Sunshine only about 40 hours for July in Sligo this year. Think the dullest ever July is 55 hours so it will be tight with that. Temperatures have picked up a little lately but not in the 20s at all.

Maybe when Sea Ice is gone in a few years and even this year really warm weather will become more common as will volatility no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

It was actually a wetter and more depressing evening than I thought possible
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

We got stuck in a glorious sunshine 'rut' for three entire months just this spring. Parts of the country experienced their sunniest and driest period ever.

More 'positive policing' from the east coasters I see. Stick to your own patch, honey bun.

New Moon

There seems to be a rather disturbing trend on this forum lately that those who might, and rightfully, report the weather as being ****e, are shot down and tut tutted at by what appears to be automated drones. According to them, it's ok to say that the weather is 'glorious' and 'fine', but not 'depressing' lest it might offend their fragile sensibilities. Feck that, if this is what this forum has become, then I'm out.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

I love Ireland, We usually have a crap summer and mild mucky winters.

We don't live in Spain or the Arctic.

Imagine This:
    181204-japan-tsunami-earthquake-cs-920a_075a953d76eb5447a6bf4fd422e45244.nbcnews-fp-1200-630.jpg

or this

5dc4b19aa310cf3e97a521a7.jpeg

We live in a little ****ty island, that's great.

Mucky winter, Mucky Summer.
    Sometimes white winter, sometime sunny summer.

But feck it we have the craic no matter whats in store.
    We just have to get used to it as we've awlays done because it could be much more shi ter.

Ps its roasting outside and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Monkeynut wrote: »
    I love Ireland, We usually have a crap summer and mild mucky winters.

We don't live in Spain or the Arctic.

Imagine This:
    181204-japan-tsunami-earthquake-cs-920a_075a953d76eb5447a6bf4fd422e45244.nbcnews-fp-1200-630.jpg

or this

5dc4b19aa310cf3e97a521a7.jpeg

We live in a little ****ty island, that's great.

Mucky winter, Mucky Summer.
    Sometimes white winter, sometime sunny summer.

But feck it we have the craic no matter whats in store.
    We just have to get used to it as we've awlays done because it could be much more shi ter.

Ps its roasting outside and wet.

The first photo was the result of an earthquake and the resulting tsunami. Nothing at all to do with meteorology/the weather.

Where are you located? There's nowhere in Ireland tonight that can be described as being "roasting" or anything close to it.

Beautiful sunny morning on East coast (Louth) , I better make the most of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

There seems to be a rather disturbing trend on this forum lately that those who might, and rightfully, report the weather as being ****e, are shot down and tut tutted at by what appears to be automated drones. According to them, it's ok to say that the weather is 'glorious' and 'fine', but not 'depressing' lest it might offend their fragile sensibilities. Feck that, if this is what this forum has become, then I'm out.

To be honest, both sides are awful. Those constantly complaining about the weather and those complaining about the complainers are equally bad. Would be better all round if people just reported their local weather and left it at that.

appledrop wrote: »
    So we have one week left in July + these are stats for Dublin airport my nearest station up to 23/7

Rainfall: 61mm
    Mean Temperature: 14.1
    Global Solar Radiation:34,289

In 2019,2018, 2017& rainfall was 41mm,40mm &42mm respectively. So we already have recorded a wetter than average month + plenty more to come!

Mean temperative for 2019,2018,2017 were 15.9,16.1 & 15. Again we are way below average temperature for month at only 14.1.

Global Solar Radiation: 53,000, 52,000 + 52,000 roughly in last 3 years. We haven't even reached 35,000 yet although maybe last week sun will be spliting the trees.

Before those of you say what do you except its Ireland + Dublin airport cold station the fact is that even for Ireland its looking like a shocking July unless we get a heatwave next week.

But now I'm complaining god forbid!

Using the mean for the last three years as a comparison is meaningless. It just skews the stats. Mean temperatures and rainfall are only meaningful over a much longer period. July has been very dry at Dublin airport for the last three summers - the actual mean rainfall for July is 56mm. It's been wetter and cooler than normal this month, but not to the extent that some of the above quoted comparisons suggest.

pconn062 wrote: »
    To be honest, both sides are awful. Those constantly complaining about the weather and those complaining about the complainers are equally bad. Would be better all round if people just reported their local weather and left it at that.

Amen to that. And facts rather than feelings would also be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain and more rain last night and this morning.
    And its still fecking raining. Factual.

Co. Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

pconn062 wrote: »

Here is the thread you are looking for
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058092126/1/#post113901482

This current thread is titled “Summer 2020- General Discussion “

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Cloudy but dry again in Dublin. Weather has been much improved here the past week or so, occasional shower but overall quite warm if a bit humid

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Amen to that. And facts rather than feelings would also be great.

No issues with people expressing their feelings and saying the weather is sh**e/c**p. But some go on about it, complaining/moaning, as if somebody can do something about it!

Complaining/moaning endlessly about the weather is same as complaining/moaning you are getting older. Nobody can do anything about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy morning in cork city after some showers last night. Convective maps seem to show a small chance of some activity over us but looks to be more so for the Midlands and east but here's to hoping we see some sort of spark down here today :)

Currently about 15 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

DOCARCH wrote: »
    No issues with people expressing their feelings and saying the weather is sh**e/c**p. But some go on about it, complaining/moaning, as if somebody can do something about it!

Complaining/moaning endlessly about the weather is same as complaining/moaning you are getting older. Nobody can do anything about it!

I just posted exactly what can and has been done about it elsewhere for decades. Domes over community hubs to allow people an escape from the conditions. There needs to be pressure on politicians to fund such projects. The Dublin convention center is actually already a small example of this, but I'm talking much larger scale and specifically for the general public.

DOCARCH wrote: »

Absolutely. I was probably referring to those who complain about rainfall, sunshine hours etc based on how they feel the weather is or was as opposed to what the actual facts tell us it was like. I think some people's take on the weather is a reflection of their mood rather than the other way around.

In Ireland its pot luck what kind of Summer weather you get because we are influenced mainly by the Atlantic so the Summer can be good like 2018 or bad like this year or just bang on average like lots of years.

This is the coolest dullest July since 2012 at least so we were due one but what's the story with the Augusts? They seem to be getting worse every year. Apart from one month each Winter I'd say August is easily the wettest month in the 21st Century in the Western half of Ireland at least.

So it's with 90 per cent certainty I can say August willbe wetter than normal in the West. May be a North West South East split this year before West gets some good weather in Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭appledrop

Using the mean for the last three years as a comparison is meaningless. It just skews the stats. Mean temperatures and rainfall are only meaningful over a much longer period. July has been very dry at Dublin airport for the last three summers - the actual mean rainfall for July is 56mm. It's been wetter and cooler than normal this month, but not to the extent that some of the above quoted comparisons suggest.

Oh I will post the mean for you makes no difference whatsoever:

Rainfall: 56.2........ already 61mm + week left in 2020
    Temperature: 15.4............currently only 14.1 in 2020
    Global: 50,860..................currently less than 35,000

Guess what we are still on course for coldest, wettest, dullest July in DA in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

July is now on 81.0 hrs of sunshine at Dublin Apt. To put this into perspective, the dullest Julys on record:

1. July 1944 - 89.9 hrs
    2. July 1986 - 93.4 hrs
    3. July 2002 - 106.8 hrs
    4. July 1957 - 108.7 hrs
    5. July 1981 - 119.8 hrs

It will highly likely not be a record and may not even fit into the top 5 if later next week has good sunshine but up to this point, it has been unusually dull even for Ireland. The average July has around 164 hrs. What I find most striking is how winter is still sunnier than this summer up to this point:

Winter 2019-20: 228.7 hrs
    Summer 2020 (to July 24): 211.0 hrs

If we had even an average June (177 hrs) and average July (164 hrs), it would be way above winter. I could care less what the stats have to say anyway in this case because personally, the lack of sunshine has been very noticeable. A lot of usable weather for those who like that. However, I am an extreme lover. Yes, wrong country and all that (not that I have any chance right now) but if it's going to be cloudy often, I'd rather it washout. I haven't voiced this opinion 'til now because no doubt it's very unpopular. Washout as in proper deluge, not the usual moderate rubbish we get. I'd take summers like 2008 over this summer for that very reason.

This summer has just been a huge snorefest though like I've been saying past two weeks haven't been bad. I digress.

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    Oh I will post the mean for you makes no difference whatsoever:

Rainfall: 56.2........ already 61mm + week left in 2020
    Temperature: 15.4............currently only 14.1 in 2020
    Global: 50,860..................currently less than 35,000

Guess what we are still on course for coldest, wettest, dullest July in DA in years.

It makes a huge difference to the veracity of what you are presenting. Comparing with three very dry Julys in the last few years is pointless. You could equally just pick three very wet Julys in succession. The overall mean you have quoted above is far more relevant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement