Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cloudy dull 16 degrees...fact

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cloudy dull misty 14c Fact

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    However, I am an extreme lover. Yes, wrong country and all that (not that I have any chance right now) but if it's going to be cloudy often, I'd rather it washout. I haven't voiced this opinion 'til now because no doubt it's very unpopular. Washout as in proper deluge, not the usual moderate rubbish we get. I'd take summers like 2008 over this summer for that very reason.
    I have no problem with deluges either - they make the weather interesting and are part and parcel of even an average summer in Ireland. This summer, however, is not that. Constant low cloud (and I don't even mind the lack of sunshine all that much, but this type of cloud is repulsive at the best of times) the odd spit of dampening light rain or drizzle, high dew points with little reward. You get the picture. This weather is remarkably similar to what we got back for the bulk of winter 2018/2019, but at least in winter, you don't have to witness such a toneless sky for 16 odd hours a day.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Amen to that. And facts rather than feelings would also be great.

I disagree slightly. A mix of both is good. Also, while i don't see the point of complaining myself, however, i can understand people complaining, especially in the current reality we find ourselves in. I'm not keen on sun holidays myself, but i can imagine how frustrating this Summer is for someone who likes them.
    Gonzo, a while back, said he'd be happy to spends three months in Spain as you're guaranteed good weather. That would not be my preference, i like having seasons. So now you know my feelings.:pac: I'll scramble for a fact: It's the second overcast day in a row in Mayo. Also i think it has been the coolest July since 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow and Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy showers with localised thundery downpours will lead to accumulations of between 20-30mm with a risk of spot flooding.

Valid: 14:00 Saturday 25/07/2020 to 20:00 Saturday 25/07/2020

Issued: 12:00 Saturday 25/07/2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

pad199207 wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow and Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy showers with localised thundery downpours will lead to accumulations of between 20-30mm with a risk of spot flooding.

Valid: 14:00 Saturday 25/07/2020 to 20:00 Saturday 25/07/2020

Issued: 12:00 Saturday 25/07/2020

But no thunder warning and Dublin left out. Strange..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    More 'positive policing' from the east coasters I see. Stick to your own patch, honey bun.

Facts are facts. Are you denying the good spring weather?

You’re implying we always get stuck in a rut of poor weather. After a dry and mild and sunny three months...I’m merely pointing out that is not always the case.

I didn’t say anything about the summer weather.

Also, honey bun?

There seems to be a rather disturbing trend on this forum lately that those who might, and rightfully, report the weather as being ****e, are shot down and tut tutted at by what appears to be automated drones. According to them, it's ok to say that the weather is 'glorious' and 'fine', but not 'depressing' lest it might offend their fragile sensibilities. Feck that, if this is what this forum has become, then I'm out.

The irony of this post seeing as you’re coming across as the fragile one.

Leave so if you’re that “offended”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I disagree slightly. A mix of both is good. Also, while i don't see the point of complaining myself, however, i can understand people complaining, especially in the current reality we find ourselves in. I'm not keen on sun holidays myself, but i can imagine how frustrating this Summer is for someone who likes them.
    Gonzo, a while back, said he'd be happy to spends three months in Spain as you're guaranteed good weather. That would not be my preference, i like having seasons. So now you know my feelings.:pac: I'll scramble for a fact: It's the second overcast day in a row in Mayo. Also i think it has been the coolest July since 2012.

As much as I love sun (or to the extent I make it out on here), I do feel it wouldn't be as exciting having it guaranteed to you all the time, provided the lack of it compensates with some kind of other interesting weather whether cloud types, storms etc and I don't mean the low cloud that Oneiric mentions :rolleyes: I like that bit of a gambling aspect with the weather (same with all weathers). It's what makes rare seasons like Spring 2020, Summer 2018 or Winter 2010 so special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can't believe this showery band is getting a weather warning! Met.ie really need to have a think about why they issue them and the effect of same. The lunchtime forecast didn't even mention it.

• Advertisement

compsys wrote: »

I didn’t say anything about the summer weather.

Also, honey bun?
    It's a summer thread.

Exactly what do you offer to this forum? You claimed last night that a 'lot of places' saw recorded breaking dryness and sunshine this spring. This is only actually true for Dublin. While it was sunny and dry here, we've had dryer springs and the sunshine, while 'glorious' didn't seem to be too much out of the norm for the time of year in these parts. April and May are typically very sunny months anyway. But by all means, dazzle me with some fact-checking stats if you feel that you must.

Also, aren't you the one that constantly complains when Dublin sees close to a 100mm of rain in a month? How awful that must be for you.

New Moon

Can't believe this showery band is getting a weather warning! Met.ie really need to have a think about why they issue them and the effect of same. The lunchtime forecast didn't even mention it.

These showers do have the very real potential to build up as they move east, given the very humid air mass and the building heat of the afternoon, and with little wind around, they could be slow moving, hence the rainfall warnings.

New Moon

It's a summer thread.

Exactly what do you offer to this forum? You claimed last night that a 'lot of places' saw recorded breaking dryness and sunshine this spring. This is only actually true for Dublin. While it was sunny and dry here, we've had dryer springs and the sunshine, while 'glorious' didn't seem to be too much out of the norm for the time of year in these parts. April and May are typically very sunny months anyway. But by all means, dazzle me with some fact-checking stats if you feel that you must.

Also, aren't you the one that constantly complains when Dublin sees close to a 100mm of rain in a month? How awful that must be for you.

According to Met E, who know a bit more about weather than you I'd imagine, it was "very dry, especially in the east, sunny everywhere, warm for most" with the highest temps being away from east.

Some of the gloom merchants like you on here trying to rewrite the weather by claiming we had an awful or average spring is silly.

Where exactly are you by the way? What recent springs have been so much better weather wise for you so?

Also, I've as much entitlement to be on this thread as you do.

100mm is a lot of rain for Dublin btw. Facts are facts. I think I posted about that twice on my entire time on this thread. But it obviously captured your attention.

And don't call me honey bun again. It comes across as ****ing creepy and weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    As much as I love sun (or to the extent I make it out on here), I do feel it wouldn't be as exciting having it guaranteed to you all the time, provided the lack of it compensates with some kind of other interesting weather whether cloud types, storms etc and I don't mean the low cloud that Oneiric mentions :rolleyes: I like that bit of a gambling aspect with the weather (same with all weathers). It's what makes rare seasons like Spring 2020, Summer 2018 or Winter 2010 so special.

Indeed it does. I know if we were guaranteed three months of snow each winter, then snow would more than likely lose its charm for me. Imagine if we were guaranteed a Storm Emma or December 2010 every year? Also, as you say, we tend to appreciate summers like 1995, 2018, all the more when they do come along.

According to Met E, who know a bit more about weather than you I'd imagine, it was "very dry, especially in the east, sunny everywhere, warm for most" with the highest temps being away from east.

Where does it mention record breaking sun totals and dryness for Galway in that, honey bun? Show me the stats, and I'll concede. Until then, don't you dare assume you that know anything, or more than me, about the weather here.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

How about we talk about *summer 2020* in the summer thread aka this one where we can actually discuss the current weather and be annoyed or happy about it, and everybody else who are obsessed with the spring can just go back to that thread and argue over there and not mention a totally different season in this thread again. Thanks

Edit: to make it even easier, here is a link to the spring thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058058248
    Your welcome.

How about we talk about *summer 2020* in the summer thread aka this one where we can actually discuss the current weather and be annoyed or happy about it, and everybody else who are obsessed with the spring can just go back to that thread and argue over there and not mention a totally different season in this thread again. Thanks

Edit: to make it even easier, here is a link to the spring thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058058248
    Your welcome.

I agree, but I want to know what Compsy's knows about the weather in my locality last Spring that I don't. So far, he's making claims, but not providing much in the way of evidence.

New Moon

Where does it mention record breaking sun totals and dryness for Galway in that, honey bun? Show me the stats, and I'll concede. Until then, don't you dare assume you that know anything, or more than me, about the weather here.

I said parts of the country experienced their sunniest and driest period ever.

Where did I say anything about Galway?

But looking at the MET E website, who know more about weather than you do, Athenry had above average temps, below average rainfall and above above sunshine for spring. So Galway did well.

If that's a bad spring in your eyes so be it. But I stick to facts, science and figures.

Also, just for the record, I think this summer HAS been quite poor. Just not as bad as some make out. Though it'll depend on where you live as more eastern areas have done far better temp wise at least.

I said parts of the country experienced their sunniest and driest period ever.

Where did I say anything about Galway?

But looking at the MET E website, who know more about weather than you do, Athenry had above average temps, below average rainfall and above above sunshine for spring. So Galway did well.

If that's a bad spring in your eyes so be it. But I stick to facts, science and figures.

Where did I say it was a 'bad' spring? Below average rainfall is not uncommon in spring; nor is warmer than average temps. I note you didn't mention sunshine totals though. Why? Where are these figures that you claim to follow?

I think I'll stick to my actual experience of the local weather here, rather than your banal interpretations of 'facts, science and figures'.

New Moon

Where did I say it was a 'bad' spring? Below average rainfall is not uncommon in spring; nor is warmer than average temps. I note you didn't mention sunshine totals though. Why? Where are these figures that you claim to follow?

I think I'll stick to my actual experience of the local weather here, rather than your banal interpretations of 'facts, science and figures'.

I said spring sunshine totals were above average.

According to the Met E spring summary, which I think should be the definitive source for anyone discussing the weather for whatever season, and which I suggest you read, 'All available sunshine totals were above their Long-Term Average (LTA) for the season'.

Anyway, I'm not gonna argue anymore with someone who had to be told recently what GDPR meant..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The only weather that really matters is the weather where you are.

On Thursday Met.ie had the south east in a cloudy fug until sometime in the afternoon, it was sunny in east Waterford from 10 am.

Anyone else now looking to the Autumn to "save this summer"?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

highdef wrote: »
    The first photo was the result of an earthquake and the resulting tsunami. Nothing at all to do with meteorology/the weather.

Where are you located? There's nowhere in Ireland tonight that can be described as being "roasting" or anything close to it.

Yeah my bad. I had I few too many.

But it was roasting we had the windows open going to sleep in malahide. Google was reporting 16c. It was hot and sticky.

I said spring sunshine totals were above average.

According to the Met E spring summary, which I think should be the definitive source for anyone discussing the weather for whatever season, and which I suggest you read, 'All available sunshine totals were above their Long-Term Average (LTA) for the season'.

Anyway, I'm not gonna argue anymore with someone who had to be told recently what GDPR meant..

You said, and I quote, "Athenry had above average temps, below average rainfall and above above sunshine for spring. So Galway did well".

Where are the Athenry (not that I live anywhere near the place) sunshine totals for this spring and previous records to compare them with? I don't need to read how well we did in the other stats, or even with regards sunshine. Met.ie, with the greatest respect to them, haven't told me or anyone else in the region something that we didn't know already.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Absolutely lashing. I honestly think it can't get heavier.
    Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Thunder and lightning in Dublin 5 and moderate rain.

Edit: (very) heavy rain now

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

OldRio wrote: »
    Absolutely lashing. I honestly think it can't get heavier.
    Leitrim

That is some heavy looking rain alright

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Belting down here in South Dublin. Sky looks a funny colour and I can feel the electricity in the air. Don't laugh but I get a tingle on my scalp. We'll see.

Sorry I left it so late to get out for a walk. I'd need full raingear and wellies now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Nothing in cork city yet, showers look to be building just east of the actual city.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's end of days type rain in north Donegal.

Torrential for about 30min

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Finally,a dry bright and fairly sunny evening here in Castlebar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement