Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Leaving Cert Online Query

Options
  • 08-05-2020 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

This could be the most stupid question ever but I'm going to ask it anyway as I cannot seem to find the answer.

I did my LC in 2007 but I didn't get the points I wanted and thus life went on and I'm now 31.

I am thinking of repeating my LC this year to try and get the points for Undergraduate Veterinary Medicine in UCD next Sept 2021.

I have already been in contact with UCD and they said, that because I already completed my LC that I didn't need to repeat arduous subjects such as English/Irish/Foreign Language etc if I didn't want to. That I could choose what I would consider to be my best 6 subjects and do them for the purpose of maximum points.

I'm not near any of the so called 'grind schools'. Does anyone know if there is an online version of these types of schools? I have rang and emailed several of them but there is no answer.

I have been in touch with all the secondary schools where I live and only one of them offer a repeat year but I would have to sit it in the normal format of Eng/Irish/Maths etc.

The principal of that school said the same thing as UCD. That basically, I should be looking at my best possible subjects to repeat in one year instead of two and she also thought that being out of the system for so long, it would be too difficult to get back into Irish and Spanish particularly. However, she didn't have an alternative suggestions.

Can anyone give me some constructive advice?

I don't have a degree so the graduate entry isn't an option.

I've been self employed for years but my business will not be returning post this crisis. I am supplying this piece of information for two reasons 1) although I poured my heart, soul and every penny I had into it, its demise is giving me the possible opportunity to do what I have always wanted to do and 2) I do have the self motivation to study on my own, I really don't feel I need to be in classroom to do it.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Their website says
    Students who have previously been unsuccessful in any Veterinary Medicine programme (i.e. have not met academic or other requirements within the programme) will only be considered for admission to Veterinary Medicine in UCD on a case-by-case appeal basis, to be considered by the relevant Programme Board.

so, while they may not officially have a mature entry path, there is a possibility of non-standard entries.

If you really want to sit the Leaving, check and see if your local ETB (used to be VEC) has night classes in subjects. I don't know where you are in the country, but for example, Pearse College has an adults only LC course

If you want to apply and study by yourself you can apply as an external student through the SEC. Avoid subjects that need a teacher to sign off on them, if you will not be attending classes. All presuming everything goes back to something resembling normal.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Can anyone give me some constructive advice?

UCD are correct in that if you have met the entry requirements of a course (pass English, Irish, Maths etc) you don't have to repeat those subjects and can sit any six subjects for points.

You don't say what your business is, but it might make sense to pick subjects that might have complemented that field of work if at all possible. Depending on what you did in your business on a day to day basis subjects like Business and Accounting might be good choices and because they don't have a project component could be worked on from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

UCD are correct in that if you have met the entry requirements of a course (pass English, Irish, Maths etc) you don't have to repeat those subjects and can sit any six subjects for points.

You don't say what your business is, but it might make sense to pick subjects that might have complemented that field of work if at all possible. Depending on what you did in your business on a day to day basis subjects like Business and Accounting might be good choices and because they don't have a project component could be worked on from home.

Thank you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

spurious wrote: »
    Their website says
    Students who have previously been unsuccessful in any Veterinary Medicine programme (i.e. have not met academic or other requirements within the programme) will only be considered for admission to Veterinary Medicine in UCD on a case-by-case appeal basis, to be considered by the relevant Programme Board.

so, while they may not officially have a mature entry path, there is a possibility of non-standard entries.

If you really want to sit the Leaving, check and see if your local ETB (used to be VEC) has night classes in subjects. I don't know where you are in the country, but for example, Pearse College has an adults only LC course

If you want to apply and study by yourself you can apply as an external student through the SEC. Avoid subjects that need a teacher to sign off on them, if you will not be attending classes. All presuming everything goes back to something resembling normal.
    Good luck.

Really appreciate all that info, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

This is the Leaving Cert timetable from this year (if it had run as normal).

Maybe go down through that list of subjects and see what you can definitely rule out and then see what is left. Agricultural Economics is no longer being offered, this was the last year for it.

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-EX-17618720.pdf

Also go onto examinations.ie and click on the exam material archive link in the menu and have a look at the past exam papers for those subjects.

• Advertisement
Advertisement