Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Temperature 429496729.0 Celsius Abnormal

Options
  • 08-05-2020 12:12pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A little strange thing my cousin is experiencing on his Asus Republic of Gamers based gaming PC with Aegis III fan control and hardware monitoring system giving the above message on and off maybe a few times a week.

Every now and then he gets spurious alerts about CPU being some impossibly high temperature, in the last case 29496729C, which obviously is ridiculous, but I've now set the software to write the alerts to a log file.

I would take a look but obviously there is a lockdown on. I've got him to run various other temp monitoring software tools and have them logging and looking at them and initially I put it down to a software fault with Aegis as it didn't spike anywhere else, but about half an hour ago it saw a spike to 9534c degrees on HW Monitor for 30 seconds or so.

I suspected there might be a loose cable somewhere or a controller that may be failing, however isn't Intel i& CPU temperatures controlled and reported by the CPU itself rather than the motherboard? I've stress tested the CPU and there's no problem with it and it's getting the kind of benchmarks I would expect.

Where would the best place be to start? Or would you even bother at all, since the system is running the latest games in max settings fine and is very stable and there's no weird boost in fan speeds to counteract the fake temperature and don't Intel chips auto shut down anyway if they go above 90c or so?

Advertisement