Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 350 a week was a catastrophic and costly mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Have any people been docked for refusing to go back to work yet, anyone know?
    Have they confirmed yet that the e350 will be kept at e350 after the initial 12 weeks? Or is it tapering , thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

enricoh wrote: »
    Have any people been docked for refusing to go back to work yet, anyone know?
    Have they confirmed yet that the e350 will be kept at e350 after the initial 12 weeks? Or is it tapering , thanks.

I’m assuming it is. The plan was always set forward for 12 weeks. Can’t go on indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

dockysher wrote: »
    Unfortunately the 350 was a rushed decision which it had to be and so many taking advantage of it.
    I know numerous people who have quit der low paying jobs to go on it, students who only worked few hours a week wile in college now getting 350 all summer.
    As well as builders, painters etc, still working away while on da 350.
    Good point.
    If a self employed builder for example goes slowly back to work and does eg a few hours or a half day a week work doing repairs or whatever, is he or she supposed to lose the 350? The economy will not get back to full steam immediately for everyone. At what point do people sign off the 350 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    The €350 payment was a stupid policy from the outset. We’re continually finding new ways in this country to make it more profitable to stay at home on one’s ass than to work.

I think that was the idea, have you heard about the pandemic? It is a temporary measure to ensure people don't get into financial difficulty and will be ended as soon as prudent to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Lots of women work PT to work around school times.

I claim the 350 and as soon as I can return to work I will. I have 2 options. Return to work and notify the SW and my pandemic payment will be stopped OR I refuse to go back to work at which stage I wont qualify for the pandemic payment. Im sure there will be people who think they wont bother with work and will continue claiming the 350 but there is no such option. At most they will have to sign on to JSB or JSA and follow the usual routes via those payments.

I just have not heard how they plan on enforcing it. As in when your phase to return to work is up, how are they going to make sure that the people who fall into that category will have their covid payment stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

addaword wrote: »
    Good point.
    If a self employed builder for example goes slowly back to work and does eg a few hours or a half day a week work doing repairs or whatever, is he or she supposed to lose the 350? The economy will not get back to full steam immediately for everyone. At what point do people sign off the 350 ?

You mean like cash in hand foxers. Only people who get up late in morning do those.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You mean like cash in hand foxers. Only people who get up late in morning do those.

In the morning? Fcuk that, easier money to be made in the afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dockysher wrote: »
    Unfortunately the 350 was a rushed decision which it had to be and so many taking advantage of it.
    I know numerous people who have quit der low paying jobs to go on it, students who only worked few hours a week wile in college now getting 350 all summer.

:confused:

can they do that?? i thought you had to be genuinely let go due to covid restriction with a letter from your employer to get it? surely you can't just quit willy nilly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

You know, there is a legitimate argument that people may generally be workshy, and prone to scrounging off of the public purse:
    They want schemes that provide free money (unemployment payments, coronavirus payments, Universal Basic Income) - but if you present a plan that guarantee's people the ability to work for their money, pay them a decent living wage for it, and make sure the work is beneficial to society - then people don't give a shit about it, they'd rather have a handout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

We were told and the Minister of Finance of the day (Micheal Noonan I believe) went on the record to say the USC would be a temporary tax to help the nation get through the 07/08 crash, would be short term and TEMPORARY. People can shoulder this if its just for a few years... but as ever once the Government gets extra cash ...it likes to hang on to it ... and then generally has more money to waste.

Meanwhile they have been taking €3 billion pa out of taxpayers pocket, this is our money, not the Governments.

SCRAP THE USC NOW!!!!
    The Covid 350 payment will not be permanent.... just like the USC should be.

Lenihan, Michael Vermin didn't get in to 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

KyussB wrote: »
    €350 a week divided by the living wage, is about 28 hours.

How about we give every person out there who wants €350 a week, 28 hours of work to do, opening it up to unemployed people who are not a part of the coronavirus payment scheme?

We could get them to e.g. manufacture PPE on massive scale, and guarantee them work like this for the foreseeable future - we could call it e.g. a Job Guarantee...

Not much point making PPE for nothing, brain dead neo liberals seem to think forcing people to make stuff that no one wants is a good idea, does Dinny have a lot of sheds he needs renting by the state

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Hearing anecdotes along the lines of “I won’t be going back to work any time soon, I’m earning more on the 350 (“3 fiddy” was the term used) a week so I’ll stay on that for as long as I can”

Ppl are not going to be rushing back to their work until this is cut back to unemployment rate

That's it, we've 28% unemployment because people are going for 350 euros a week.

If you believe that you'll believe anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭katkev

I still can't believe that illegal immigrants and the language students are getting this.

katkev wrote: »
    I still can't believe that illegal immigrants and the language students are getting this.

How are illegal immigrants getting money when by definition the state doesn’t know about them?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Danzy wrote: »
    That's it, we've 28% unemployment because people are going for 350 euros a week.

If you believe that you'll believe anything.

if the 350 per week was turned off tomorrow..... what would our unemplyment rate be?

I think that was the idea, have you heard about the pandemic? It is a temporary measure to ensure people don't get into financial difficulty and will be ended as soon as prudent to do so.

This thread isn't global or national, it's not even parish pump, parish pump is way beyond its scope.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    if the 350 per week was turned off tomorrow..... what would our unemplyment rate be?

Probably heading quickly to 40 or 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

fryup wrote: »

can they do that?? i thought you had to be genuinely let go due to covid restriction with a letter from your employer to get it? surely you can't just quit will nilly
    Nope. My neighbour had a part time job in an offie and quit because he's a bit of a germaphobe and was worried about catching the virus so he quit. Applied for the 350 and got it. I thought you didn't get it unless you "lost" your job due to the virus not quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

You do and those who keep saying otherwise are wrong

That’s totally incorrect. I know a large amount of people who applied online and did not have to submit any documentation other than pps and the usuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

fryup wrote: »

can they do that?? i thought you had to be genuinely let go due to covid restriction with a letter from your employer to get it? surely you can't just quit will nilly

Ive seen it done “Willy nilly”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Nope. My neighbour had a part time job in an offie and quit because he's a bit of a germaphobe and was worried about catching the virus so he quit. Applied for the 350 and got it. I thought you didn't get it unless you "lost" your job due to the virus not quit.

It could be alot more complex than you know. I'd quit my job if they made me go back now. I struggle with lung health n its not something people can see. They could have any number of reasons that you wouldn't see as a neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

manonboard wrote: »
    It could be alot more complex than you know. I'd quit my job if they made me go back now. I struggle with lung health n its not something people can see. They could have any number of reasons that you wouldn't see as a neighbour
    I know the guy he doesn't have any medical issues. He's a nice fella and I've nothing against him I was just giving an example of someone who isn't entitled to the payment. He told me as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Not much point making PPE for nothing, brain dead neo liberals seem to think forcing people to make stuff that no one wants is a good idea, does Dinny have a lot of sheds he needs renting by the state
    You know there's a worldwide shortage of PPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

As someone not getting this payment, I'm delighted so many families are being supported in this way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

How are illegal immigrants getting money when by definition the state doesn’t know about them?
    Revenue and the Department of Justice aren't sharing information about who is entitled to be working here. An immigrant could have come here on a student visa which allows them to work part time. When the visa expires they could technically continue to work and the DOJ may be none the wiser.

Revenue and the Department of Justice aren't sharing information about who is entitled to be working here. An immigrant could have come here on a student visa which allows them to work part time. When the visa expires they could technically continue to work and the DOJ may be none the wiser.

Could can be a big word, the reality is the potential scenario you outline is not new to this crisis and you should really through in the department of social welfare as there the ones who issue pps numbers. The covid payment comes didrectly from social welfare who would be aware of anyone over staying and claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

They automatically give it to everyone that applies, then follow up afterwards to check eligibility, by sending a letter to the previous employer for example asking the circumstances of the termantion of employment & if the employer has suitable work for the employee.

Those scamming should get caught

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

As someone not getting this payment, I'm delighted so many families are being supported in this way

Same. I don't get all this crap. If I had my way we would have a UBI. It wouldn't effect my situation one bit but unlike some of the people in this thread I am more concerned about looking after us as a community than wondering about how it effect me financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭zeebre12

satguy wrote: »
    Some people just hate to see others do well..

So some young teens that were serving tables or mind kids in a creche,, maybe doing 20 hours a week for €10 or €11 an hour are doing a bit better.

In the 08 crash we bailed out the banks for Billions and Billions,, and all they did was give themselves a bonus and make people homeless.

If these teens had any sense,, they would refuse to go back serving tables and minding kids until they got €350 a week in pay.
    Any what are the doing only spending it buying stuff on UK websites.

• Advertisement

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Any what are the doing only spending it buying stuff on UK websites.

The whole thing is very bad all together, your poor sore toe.

Advertisement