Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 350 a week was a catastrophic and costly mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Any what are the doing only spending it buying stuff on UK websites.

And that is why it is not sustainable. It should be reduced to the standard unemployment rate after the 3 months are up as promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

addaword wrote: »
    And that is why it is not sustainable. It should be reduced to the standard unemployment rate after the 3 months are up as promised.

What about those people that can't return to work in that time frame? Tought luck? I am alright jack. Am'right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Or it should be increased and go EU wide on condition it is spent straight away.

Lad, if you honestly think it'll all be spent online in UK sites that's your mind and it's challenges.

It doesn't address the crisis we have.

What about those people that can't return to work in that time frame? Tought luck? I am alright jack. Am'right?

The state will not run out of compassion. It will run out of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Finland’s universal basic income is interesting. There was an article in the guardian about it the other day . Would it work here??

It's widely reported as a failure...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-47169549
    Except in making people feel happier.

I would class our community employment schemes as a form of improved UBI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Yawn. Money is just a construct and how it is built will be determined by EU policy which will mean that the amount that we need means very little. No one with half a brain gives a **** about money right now. The one good thing from all this is that people are questioning that everything we know is built on lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

there no head nor tail on it,
    there are 2 young people, one 18 and one 19 who only work saturday and sunday for a total of 12 hours per week and they are both getting it, yes the 350, in fact they making more being out of work than working and not bothered about going back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

samjames wrote: »
    there are 2 young people, one 18 and one 19 who only work saturday and sunday for a total of 12 hours per week and they are both getting it, yes the 350, in fact they making more being out of work than working

It's lunacy, I know a few in the same boat. I wonder if there's going to be a few more keelings type uproars as employers struggle to compete with the e350 for staff.
    Whatever about giving full time e350, whoever decided on giving part time e350 should be shot!
    I wonder did fine Gael have one eye on another election?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Never happen, credit just rolls over, surprised you'd even come out with something so stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

So when you lose your job because no one can afford what you are peddling you'll only get 203, forward thinking?

• Advertisement

So when you lose your job because no one can afford what you are peddling you'll only get 203, forward thinking?

The country is spending far far more than it takes in, that is unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

enricoh wrote: »
    Whatever about giving full time e350, whoever decided on giving part time e350 should be shot!

Precisely. And that point in my OP seems to have been lost on many of the usual suspects judging by their brain dead replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Precisely. And that point in my OP seems to have been lost on many of the usual suspects judging by their brain dead replies.

The alternative would have been and administrative nightmare and too late. Either way in a few years time it will be a footnote on this chapter relative to the amount possible saved versus the total cost of this

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

It's lunacy, I know a few in the same boat. I wonder if there's going to be a few more keelings type uproars as employers struggle to compete with the e350 for staff.
    thing is these ones are living at home with parents now and no rent to pay, no food to buy and laughing now as they watch netflix and ponder how theyll spend all this free money, crazy

samjames wrote: »
    there are 2 young people, one 18 and one 19 who only work saturday and sunday for a total of 12 hours per week and they are both getting it, yes the 350, in fact they making more being out of work than working and not bothered about going back

Correct. They should have limited the 350 a week to full time workers only, or those who had paid x thousand tax in the previous year or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭endainoz

What seems to be lost on you is that it is a temporary measure. Not permanent, temporary. Comparing it to the USC is a brain dead reply.

Part time workers are still getting it, there was simply not enough time or resources to go through each application. People needed money to pay for food and rent. I have a letter from my employer saying I was temporarily laid off and qualified for the payment. They didnt even ask for the letter. The money was in my account within a week. They needed to cover people to some extent and it was an efficient system.

Is it sustainable? No of course not, but it's a better idea than austerity to have some hope of stimulating an economy. I'll be happy to spend money to go away somewhere in the country when things get back to some form of normality.

In fact there should be incentives to go outside your home county and spend money there. There might be a bit of revenue to be got for the domestic tourism industry for the month of September which would be a big boost. Would people be more inclined to do this on less than 200 a week? I doubt it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Haven't read the thread but read the OP.
    I agree it's a kick in the ar5e to low paid workers people who lost their jobs getting this while sitting on their holes at home. How can someone working part time doing a few hours a week end up getting this. This payment needs to end how is the economy going to open up if low paid positions cannot be filled bafflling

You may not have heard but there is a virus causing havoc worldwide, the economic impact of which is already multiples worse than 2008, the 1980s and the mid 70s oil crisis all rolled in to one.

If demand continues to crater like it has then we will have years of 30% plus unemployment.

The yanks even gave 500 per kid.

If the part time people will spend it immediately they should get more than someone who will be cagey with it or use it to pay down debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,370 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This is number of part time workers in the economy who earned less than 350 a week pre-crisis. Publicly available information, you shouldn't have to ask. You should have looked it up yourself.

No, it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You wanted another GE held in the middle of a pandemic/lock down but you accuse others of being brain-dead. lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭endainoz

mean gene wrote: »
    I agree it's a kick in the ar5e to low paid workers people who lost their jobs getting this while sitting on their holes at home. How can someone working part time doing a few hours a week end up getting this. This payment needs to end how is the economy going to open up if low paid positions cannot be filled bafflling

Where are all these low paid positions that need filling currently?

Danzy wrote: »
    If the part time people will spend it immediately they should get more than someone who will be cagey with it or use it to pay down debt.

Rubbish, you are saying it is great for the country to borrow billions to give part time 18 year old workers €350 per week to spend on imported goods from Amazon, and cheap drink?

I would say the complete opposite . This temporary payment will reduce people getting into debt during this time . This increased payment is mostly for people who were legally working and are now unemployed through no fault of their own.

By giving this payment now we are placing people in a good position to spend when the economy reopens . They will spend in restaurants bars and hotels all of which are labour intensive industries which will boost employment fast.

Educate yourself on economics , listen to some podcasts such as David McWilliams .

Who's going to be working in these hotels bars etc to serve the 350 a week spongers ask your bud McWilliams

endainoz wrote: »
    Where are all these low paid positions that need filling currently?

Supermarkets for one I had staff that turned down 20 hours a week to sit on their holes getting the 350 can't fill the positions I'm not the only one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Everywhere I employ staff that turned down 20 hours a week to sit on their holes getting the 350 can't fill the positions I'm not the only one

I've read your comment twice just to confirm its rubbish. How can you employ someone who refuses to work for you?

I agree it's a kick in the ar5e to low paid workers people who lost their jobs getting this while sitting on their holes at home. How can someone working part time doing a few hors a week end up getting this. This payment needs to end how is the economy going to open up if low paid positions cannot be filled bafflling

Without the payment there won't be an economy.

That payment is the only reason that we are not at 40% unemployment.

If it's cut or stopped there will be a blood bath in the sme sector and a banking crisis.

It's about stopping the economy collapsing, not like that hiccup in 2008 but a real collapse.

Schemes like this are going to have to be implemented across the Western world and the money will have to go on condition it will be spent.

How many of those with the poor me, s'not fair view of the 350 are self employed or employ others?

Precious few I suspect, there is no hiding from reality then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,370 ✭✭✭✭noodler

People are really confusing the 350 PW payment a week for being unemployed with the temporary wage Subsidy of 70%

I've read your comment twice just to confirm its rubbish. How can you employ someone who refuses to work for you?

Employed. Basically an ex part timer wouldnt go full time over the 350 and told me it wasn't worth his while

Who's going to be working in these hotels bars etc to serve the 350 a week spongers ask your bud McWilliams

Who is going to spend in those businesses if unemployment hits 40%.

Do you think of that at all?

Where do you think demand comes from?

You'd make the Russian revolution seem like a small thing for business.

• Advertisement

Employed. Basically an ex part timer wouldnt go full time over the 350 and told me it wasn't worth his while

So the entire national economy should be flushed down the toilet in a way not seen since the 30s because of that.

Will you ever get up the yard with that poor me rubbish.

Advertisement