Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 350 a week was a catastrophic and costly mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

SteM wrote: »
    The USC is income that the country came to rely on. This temporary payment is an outgoing that it cannot possible afford in the medium or long term. Why would you compare the two?

Its complicated. Probably something to do with having a Masters in Economics. But not in grammar and syntax. Online college, was it?? God help us all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

"Hundreds of workers who left Ireland after the coronavirus outbreak have had their attempts to claim a weekly €350 Covid-19 unemployment payment foiled."

according to extra .ie.
    Mostly Brazilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

What's your real life experience? Come to think of it, what's David McWilliams real life experience. I believe he worked in a bank in London for a few years, wow. He must be so wise.

It's not austerity. If not working, people should have been getting the 200 per week. As normal. People on low wages pay very little tax anyway.

And a bank in Dublin for a while. A central one. Look it up! Publicly available information ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Rotweiler

Looking at UK, Canada, Germany and many more, we are even very naive on that help.
    Those above go for a second round help and believe me or not, Ireland must stop being conservative about the budget.
    Ireland gave a steep increase in growth last 5 6 years and this never went back to the public as proper roads, broadband, commuting and healthcare. Therefore, where is this money?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Rotweiler wrote: »
    Looking at UK, Canada, Germany and many more, we are even very naive on that help.
    Those above go for a second round help and believe me or not, Ireland must stop being conservative about the budget.
    Ireland gave a steep increase in growth last 5 6 years and this never went back to the public as proper roads, broadband, commuting and healthcare. Therefore, where is this money?

4billon suplus , planning in spending it on hospitals , broadband , etc etc etc , or have you been under a rock, now a predicted 24 billon deficit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have a Masters in the subject, thanks so much. McWilliams is a charaltan and a spoofer, yeah free money into everyones account. Sure why not make everyone a millionaire so, what could possibly go wrong.

No one with a master's in economics would phrase their opening post like that.

I call shenanigans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Have some sympathy for the long-term unemployed on 200 a week before the corona virus showed up. They showed amazing loyalty and tenacity to stay out of work, and how are they rewarded? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,918 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I don't get the payment as I'm still working, but I'm glad we live in a country that can, and does, give such a payment.

Sure, many people are in a better position now they would have been, but it's temporary. Also, no one knew how this whole virus situation was going to unfold and as a result, it was easier/more efficient in the short term to give a blanked payment of 350 euro than to quickly come up with some sort of means test or similar test to decide who gets what.

Indeed.

And most people would have ended up with the equivalent of more than 350 once you added in dependents, medical cards, HAP etc.

Yes there are a few doing better. But that is rhe price of a rapidly implemented solution for bulk numbers of people. It will be fixed soon enough.

listermint wrote: »
    No one with a master's in economics would phrase their opening post like that.

I call shenanigans

Masters are just a little up from undergraduate , they know very little

BoatMad wrote: »
    Masters are just a little up from undergraduate , they know very little

I'd argue that you're completely wrong. To get a master's you have to perform the action of research and be capable of presenting an argument with verifiable sources.

The OP hasn't done any of this in any posts here. It's hyperbole.

Ergo I call shenanigans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Rotweiler

4billon suplus , planning in spending it on hospitals , broadband , etc etc etc , or have you been under a rock, now a predicted 24 billon deficit

I was not and I see no "solid" plans that this is done.

How long have you been waiting for those above to be improved? And how long you think it will take again?

Do you want me to example you with the similar projects in other countries from proposal to execution timelines?

I was not and I see no "solid" plans that this is done.

How long have you been waiting for those above to be improved? And how long you think it will take again?

Do you want me to example you with the similar projects in other countries from proposal to execution timelines?

Evidently you are living under a rock. The national broadband plan is underway as I type this there are engineers off surveyor entire counties for fibre runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

You do know the €350 won't last forever.... Or until the end of the summer.

Me personally, I have been glad of it as it has allowed me to continue to pay my rent and bills without struggling. I will also be back to work at the first possible opportunity as will the vast majority who have been in receipt of this payment.

You do know the €350 won't last forever.... Or until the end of the summer.

Me personally, I have been glad of it as it has allowed me to continue to pay my rent and bills without struggling. I will also be back to work at the first possible opportunity as will the vast majority who have been in receipt of this payment.

And therefore allow the recipient's of those payments continue to employ their staff.

This isn't money wasted as is the suggestion of 'masters' op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Spent on welfare and pensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

If you were working for Larry Goodman or Keelings on minimum wage a 39 hour week you’d do well to clear 350 a week . Those people and part time workers are definitely better off but how many does this cover ? Hardly 500K , more like 200k I’d have thought .

Rumours the 350 been reduced to 300 after 12 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Who are the "usual suspects" you keep referring to? Name them, and stop beating around the bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

I have a Masters in the subject, thanks so much. McWilliams is a charaltan and a spoofer, yeah free money into everyones account. Sure why not make everyone a millionaire so, what could possibly go wrong.

The fact he needed to actually mention this says a lot already

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Who are the "usual suspects" you keep referring to? Name them, and stop beating around the bush.

Well he has already started threads on teachers and those in receipt of the subsidy so it’s likely to be someone else who is getting something while he’s not.

Next thread: Old duffers hogging Dublin parks in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Worth pointing out that the €350 payment is taxable income also so the government will be getting back somewhere between ~20% and ~50% of that depending on the persons circumstances. I'd say that will be a land for some people who think they are getting free money. The likes of taxback.ie are going to be having a lot of awkward conversations when people request a review of their tax for this year if their Covid payment hasn't been factored in to their PAYE credits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Worth pointing out that the €350 payment is taxable income also so the government will be getting back somewhere between ~20% and ~50% of that depending on the persons circumstances. I'd say that will be a land for some people who think they are getting free money. The likes of taxback.ie are going to be having a lot of awkward conversations when people request a review of their tax for this year if their Covid payment hasn't been factored in to their PAYE credits
    some people are going to get an awful shock. i can see a lot of people defaulting on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Bit of an oxymoron there.

Lol... great use of oxymoron ðŸ™႒

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭threeball

I'd give your papers back to Trump university if i were you, if you think keeping people liquid during a forced period of business closures and unemployment was a stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Bit of an oxymoron there.

Lol... great use of oxymoron ðŸ™႒

some people are going to get an awful shock. i can see a lot of people defaulting on this

they cant , it will deducted over time against any income they receive , social welfare or otherwise

Is that like the way the USC was supposed to be a temporary tax?

The usual suspects will try to make 350 the new baseline for welfare payments.

Tbf 350 a week for 1st 6 months people on the dole would be a great job for anyone working seasonal jobs etc

The fact large amounts of population are better off on e350 a week than working,just geos to show the extent of people earning below the living wage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

they cant , it will deducted over time against any income they receive , social welfare or otherwise
    Exactly , you can act the bollox with alot of other departments, revenue will always catch you in the end, they are fairly on the ball with stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I know two people over 66 applied for it, one refused, he’s on a civil service pension. But he was working in the meantime. The other one granted, she works in a crèche, over 70, and on the state pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭This is it

Fun thread to read over lunch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unemployment approaching 30% today.

Now, this is rightly a temporary issue, but it goes to show the extent of people at risk.

We do not have the civil or legal structures in place to deal with defaults or bankruptcies at this level.

Which means that this going to force through some changes into how we do things. Whether that's a UBI, a state-purchasing scheme for family homes in default or debt forgiveness schemes.

During the last crash there was a saying, "When you default the bank on a million euro, you've got a problem. When you default the bank on 100 million euro, the bank has a problem."

We can add an addendum to that now; "When a million people default, the state has a problem".

Advertisement