Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 350 a week was a catastrophic and costly mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

jayzee wrote: »
    Does anyone have a breakdown on the composition of the workers/sectors who are out of work and on "de covid".

From Monday we would expect to see up to 150,000 construction workers coming off it, add in the garden centre workers and other outdoor occupations and that might take it to 200k dropping off it.

We know hotel, catering and bar staff are long termers - how many are they.

I think these sectoral stats would be useful.

I happended to be passing 4 lads this morning plastering the front of a flat / shopfront in a midlands town. If what I saw this morning is the way the construction industry is going to go back we can forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jayzee

Glebee wrote: »
    I happended to be passing 4 lads this morning plastering the front of a flat / shopfront in a midlands town. If what I saw this morning is the way the construction industry is going to go back we can forget about it.
    Thanks for the comment, but it is does not address the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

Thanks for the comment, but it is does not address the questions.

Your welcome:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

nthclare wrote: »
    That's the state for you, it's the same in the public sector...

Do people not realize a lot of politicians and senior civil servants have children in good jobs who would have went from 700 euro a week to almost 200.

No way was daddy's girl or boy going to be left stranded on the 200 and a bit a week so they probably said to get this in we'll rush it through...

I never thought I'd envisage having to stay at home for week's on end on 350 a week, I appreciate it and bought art and craft materials and didn't piss it away ðŸ‘

So you actually think the government got together and thought "how can we make this unexpected global pandemic benefit our kids?"

Its a short term solution to get money out into the economy as fast as physically possible with huge portions of people having money within 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Does anyone have a breakdown on the composition of the workers/sectors who are out of work and on "de covid".

From Monday we would expect to see up to 150,000 construction workers coming off it, add in the garden centre workers and other outdoor occupations and that might take it to 200k dropping off it.

We know hotel, catering and bar staff are long termers - how many are they.

I think these sectoral stats would be useful.

There is going to be some black economy if they keep it at 350, lads simply won't go back if they are near the minimum wage normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

LuasSimon wrote: »
    I see pascal Donoghue in an interview this morning saying the cost off what they’ll need to borrow is growing week on week . The covid payment will continue but the AMOUNT could change ??
    What’ll this look like 300 , 275 ?? Will part timers be excluded ? Entitled to half it ??

I got the distinct impression tax increases where coming following his interview with pat kenny

We can give them 200, like we've always done for those not in employment.

You say them as if there some sort of dog turds to be trodden on.

The kite flying has started early with this one.
    Three weeks out and we are being told it's up for discussion now after only being told a couple of weeks back it would taper off as your industry opened.....

We have to face it that we are crippled financially as a state and can't afford this any longer.

Anyone left in work on an average income will be taxed heavily to pay for this also.

I hope the students who worked part time for €80 a week are enjoying this fraud while it lasts as it's going to come back to bite the rest of us in the arse.

Until your retired and then they will pay you for idling.

So you'd have no problem taking €350 a week from the state if when the most you may have earned in your young life a as part time worker was maybe €80 - €100?

People would should really examine how one earns prsi credits.

enricoh wrote: »
    There is going to be some black economy if they keep it at 350, lads simply won't go back if they are near the minimum wage normally.

It’s a temporary payment. Lads can’t choose one payment over another. Checks will be made to make sure people are genuinely out of work and that the business is still closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cd76

the €350 a week payment should be scrapped at the end of May. We should then revert to the normal JobSeekers payment.
    Plenty of minimum wage jobs coming back on stream over the next few weeks and lots already back .. LIDL, ALDI, Tesco, Amazon, garden Centres etc. Also all takeaway and Deliveroo very busy and no barrier to entry.

There is no option to continue claiming covid. It will end, anyone who can go back to work will and those who have lost their jobs indefinitely will revert to the standard JSB payment.

The black economy has always existed and its going nowhere. There will always be someone willing to pay cash in hand.

cd76 wrote: »
    the €350 a week payment should be scrapped at the end of May. We should then revert to the normal JobSeekers payment.
    Plenty of minimum wage jobs coming back on stream over the next few weeks and lots already back .. LIDL, ALDI, Tesco, Amazon, garden Centres etc. Also all takeaway and Deliveroo very busy and no barrier to entry.

The 350 can not be scrapped for people who are not allowed return to work. There are people who wont return till phase 5.
    The numbers of people claiming the covid payment will drop with the passing of each phase.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    That’s a very fair point . We have facilitated a life on the dole from cradle to grave for the traveller community amongst others with no cap on welfare . The more children you have the more you get and they then can repeat the cycle .

Castrations are what your calling for so is it.

cd76 wrote: »

Amazon isn’t in Ireland, another half arsed half witted begrudging post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

jrosen wrote: »
    The 350 can not be scrapped for people who are not allowed return to work. There are people who wont return till phase 5.
    The numbers of people claiming the covid payment will drop with the passing of each phase.

Can someone please sticky this? Or at least post it in bold capitals on the top of every page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Taking money from childrens cancer ward to pay travellers dole is what you're calling for is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

That’s not necessary at all. All that needs to be done is to pass legislation that state payments to any family per week cannot exceed the lower average industrial wage. (around €670 at the moment). This figure includes fuel allowance and BTSCFA, but not child benefit. Child benefit will be capped at 4X €140 . No more Christmas bonus.
    So if none of the adults in a house has a job and they’d like to increase their family then they will do so in the knowledge that if they are at the max €670 that they will not get an added €36 per week for that child and if they already have 4 children they won’t get another €140.
    Are you on board with that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

What a begrudging post.

It’s not weeks on end. It’s a short term measure which will be reviewed.

Hundreds of people have lost their jobs, not just temporarily. Debenhams, AirBnB, Uber, to name a few. Many small businesses will never reopen. Yet, you are griping about a short term support payment!

I see you addressed your own post without an upper case heading.

I'm not griping about a short term support payment, like another poster here if you were a news reporter your headings would be...

Here's a photo of a snake rescuing a fish from drowning , the snake is holding the fish in his mouth and will leave him on the bank to breathe out the rest of his life in a safe environment..

Then the fish will fly off to happy pastured... basically consumed by the snake and shat out its arse...

Did anyone bail out the people when the banks fcked them over, no they didn't...

As for air accommodation, they didn't speculate to accumulate I know a few people who left good jobs rubbed it in people's faces that they are going to clean up by being mini hotels.
    A bit like the landlords during the building boom, living off the rents and spending their money on objet d'art and fast car's...now they're living in damp bedsits and their only company during the winter is the dampness trickling down the west wall, while the precipitation is coming in from the west of Cork and Kerry on its way westwards..

I suggested that I made hay while the sunshine's out of my covid payment and not begrudging anyone, I'm back to work next Wednesday :)

If you want to complain about me being a begrudger, my biggest asset is my honesty... and I don't really give a damn how you read my post and you can maybe expand your cognition and seperate your ears from each other...

Because your response to my post is very narrow minded.

So I hope that's clear enough for you :)

So you actually think the government got together and thought "how can we make this unexpected global pandemic benefit our kids?"

Its a short term solution to get money out into the economy as fast as physically possible with huge portions of people having money within 2 weeks.

I'm sure there's some truth to my assumption, maybe I'm wrong but 350 was quite a generous donation...

A lot of people lost their jobs in the past, such as factory workers and business closing down through no fault of pandemics or their own.

There's people who have fallen off ladders and working in dangerous environments who one day are getting a payslip and the next applying for disability or sick allowance because they're unfit for work.

There's young men and women who get sick or are terminally ill and maybe have a year left to live and cannot work and all they get is 200 plus on the sick and end of...

So you tell me there's something right about one side of the debate and wrong about the other...

I see people who are buying nothing but hooch in the shop's, no food or anything of mind enhancing or useful and pissing the money away like they moon's going to collide with the earth...

Call a spade a spade...

• Advertisement

I see you addressed your own post without an upper case heading.

I'm not griping about a short term support payment, like another poster here if you were a news reporter your headings would be...

Here's a photo of a snake rescuing a fish from drowning , the snake is holding the fish in his mouth and will leave him on the bank to breathe out the rest of his life in a safe environment..

Then the fish will fly off to happy pastured... basically consumed by the snake and shat out its arse...

Did anyone bail out the people when the banks fcked them over, no they didn't...

As for air accommodation, they didn't speculate to accumulate I know a few people who left good jobs rubbed it in people's faces that they are going to clean up by being mini hotels.
    A bit like the landlords during the building boom, living off the rents and spending their money on objet d'art and fast car's...now they're living in damp bedsits and their only company during the winter is the dampness trickling down the west wall, while the precipitation is coming in from the west of Cork and Kerry on its way westwards..

I suggested that I made hay while the sunshine's out of my covid payment and not begrudging anyone, I'm back to work next Wednesday :)

If you want to complain about me being a begrudger, my biggest asset is my honesty... and I don't really give a damn how you read my post and you can maybe expand your cognition and seperate your ears from each other...

Because your response to my post is very narrow minded.

So I hope that's clear enough for you :)

I’m sure that makes sense to you.

I'm sure there's some truth to my assumption, maybe I'm wrong but 350 was quite a generous donation...

A lot of people lost their jobs in the past, such as factory workers and business closing down through no fault of pandemics or their own.

There's people who have fallen off ladders and working in dangerous environments who one day are getting a payslip and the next applying for disability or sick allowance because they're unfit for work.

There's young men and women who get sick or are terminally ill and maybe have a year left to live and cannot work and all they get is 200 plus on the sick and end of...

So you tell me there's something right about one side of the debate and wrong about the other...

I see people who are buying nothing but hooch in the shop's, no food or anything of mind enhancing or useful and pissing the money away like they moon's going to collide with the earth...

Call a spade a spade...

I think your view is narrow minded tbh.
    Those people who loose their job under normal circumstances already qualify for JSB. They would also generally get redundancy payments and be able to hit the ground running the next day to look for another job.
    Anyone out sick or on disability also qualifies for a payment.

Maybe your opinion is a reflection of where you live and what you see, because all I see if decent people lining up buying their food and trying as best they can to make the most out of this situation.
    This payment will last as long as we are in the phases, so come phase 5 the covid payment will be no more.
    All the other people unemployed will still qualify for their JSB, the sick and disabled will also still have their payments to claim.
    The rest of society will have to try and work their way back from weeks/months of no work.

I think your view is narrow minded tbh.
    Those people who loose their job under normal circumstances already qualify for JSB. They would also generally get redundancy payments and be able to hit the ground running the next day to look for another job.
    Anyone out sick or on disability also qualifies for a payment.

Maybe your opinion is a reflection of where you live and what you see, because all I see if decent people lining up buying their food and trying as best they can to make the most out of this situation.
    This payment will last as long as we are in the phases, so come phase 5 the covid payment will be no more.
    All the other people unemployed will still qualify for their JSB, the sick and disabled will also still have their payments to claim.
    The rest of society will have to try and work their way back from weeks/months of no work.

We were struggling before and the cycle just goes round and round... I've see a lot of recessions and this is the worst, there's no doubt about it it's catastrophic...

But there's lots of variables in the debate and if we had a power point presentation I'm not seeing us breaking even that's for sure...

I suppose the people who were used to 350 a week and able to save and get by will fare better than the people who had a lot more...

The high class addict's won't be getting far with their banger habits on 350 a week that's for sure

I’m sure that makes sense to you.

Sure...
    it won't let you down..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

No other country made people better off on welfare than when they had been working. 500,000 people are now better off taking the 350 and sitting on their backsides than they had been before this crisis when working. It's going to be enormously difficult to get these people back into the workforce now. Any politician trying to reduce the payment to incentivise work will be branded a right wing thatcherite by the usual suspects.

Who's going to go back to a minimum wage job 20 hours a week when they can earn nearly double that from the taxpayer while not having to work? This will starve businesses of much needed workers just when they need to get back going.

The costs to the exchequer are enormous. We could build a new hospital every month with the amount of money this is costing the state. Did anyone think of this? We have Regina Doherty, mother goose of the nation herself, to thank for this mess.

The key question is WHY IS IRELAND DOING THINGS DIFFERENTLY TO OTHER NATIONS?. When you have to ask this question, you know we've c**ked up.

Was it ? Goodluck telling people to stay home don't work, but we aren't paying you anything..

As for it being difficult to get these people back to work? Cut the 350 job done.. they ll be back to work. Different to other nations ? France and the UK pay wages pretty much aswell.

We were struggling before and the cycle just goes round and round... I've see a lot of recessions and this is the worst, there's no doubt about it it's catastrophic...

But there's lots of variables in the debate and if we had a power point presentation I'm not seeing us breaking even that's for sure...

I suppose the people who were used to 350 a week and able to save and get by will fare better than the people who had a lot more...

The high class addict's won't be getting far with their banger habits on 350 a week that's for sure

Who's this "we"

yes this recession will probably be worst than the last, so isn't it better that people have been given a life line for the short term?

No one is used too the 350, yes some will save it but most will use it to pay their bills, keep their rent/mortgage ticking over and feed their family. By phase 5 it will be gone.

Who's this "we"

yes this recession will probably be worst than the last, so isn't it better that people have been given a life line for the short term?

No one is used too the 350, yes some will save it but most will use it to pay their bills, keep their rent/mortgage ticking over and feed their family. By phase 5 it will be gone.

Who's the we ???

Are you trying to be funny?

A lot of people have seen or experienced recessions...

Oh this is your first recession, do you want medal ?

Or are you privelaged and in here to hold sway in the debate without even a clue about destution ?

I love when people come in here like yourself and plagiarise about their wealth of knowledge about sociology and social construct, and try to have the high ground...

If you have no experience in hardship, spouting off sound bites to people like myself and pontificating your awe and wonder is as worthless as the current economical climate...

Have you any solutions to all this ?

It would be interesting to hear your wisdom understanding and guidance...

Not at all, but when someone says "We" im intrigued as to who the "we" is.

Look the 350 isn't ideal and I think its a generous payment as welfare payments go. I also think it should have been on a scale but I also understand it wasnt in order to get it out to people asap.

Solutions? I think people should be able to go back to work sooner. The longer things are shut down the harder it will be for a recovery.

Not at all, but when someone says "We" im intrigued as to who the "we" is.

Look the 350 isn't ideal and I think its a generous payment as welfare payments go. I also think it should have been on a scale but I also understand it wasnt in order to get it out to people asap.

Solutions? I think people should be able to go back to work sooner. The longer things are shut down the harder it will be for a recovery.

I hear you,wires get crossed sometimes on board's..

I'm slightly dyslexic,so it's difficult to get my point across..and there's so many variables and different scenarios.

This is the ultimate social sh1t storm..

I wish you well during this, I wouldn't wish any hardship on anyone..

My post's are blunt sometimes,but it's not personal...

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »

Given that people are saying they can’t live on €350 a week consider what it’s like to live on between €330 and €380 a week gross depending on how lunch pay is calculated.

Advertisement